Bruce R Jij

| map-marker Port Isabel, Texas

Unfinished build

Billman Home Services - Unfinished build
Updated by user Sep 29, 2022

Billman Homes has yet to offer any resolution or even a final bill. We are being forced to sue for recovery of funds

Original review Aug 30, 2022
I asked Nick Billman about the other two reviews on this site and he claimed it was his brother using his name without his permission. Well I guess his brother taught him the same behavior as Nick quoted us a price and a deadline of a remodel of a short-term rental property.

He collected a $30,000 deposit for "materials" and within days of starting he asked for $8200 and $4500 for "work performed". He claimed he had hired extra crew so that he could work on the inside and outside simultaneously to finish on time. When we went by the property there was often no one there at all working on the project. He would say things like we don't work during the heat of the day and that they worked all night, even though the remodel had air conditioning and the subdivision does not allow work after 5.

He kept asking for extensions for family deaths, horse deaths, and excuses about his mud wasn't drying fast enough. Eventually, he asked for another two-week extension after saying he would be finished in 2 days. I questioned whether he could get finished by that time. The next day he had his assistant rush out to the property and pick up all his tools and they left the worksite.
This left us having given him almost $40,000 for less than $4,000 worth of labor and materials actually used on the property.

He never refunded us for the unused materials nor did he ever give us a final bill for work performed.
We had to scramble and get independent contractors to finish the work on time for the next rental.

My wife was recovering from surgery just 3 weeks before and I was undergoing hip surgery at the time.
I would run from Nick as fast as I could and not let him start promising and embellishing what he could accomplish. I don't know if he is totally incompetent or a criminal but neither one is a good partner to depend on.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Promises a lot of extras
  • Willing to listen
  • Engaging personality
Cons:
  • Left project high and dry
  • Inconsiderate to our surgery recoveries to complete project
  • Failure to refund for materials not used and work not performed

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Run away as fast as you can, give him no money unless he finishes work.

Guest

I would recommend you go to Port Isabel P.D. or Cameron County Sheriff's Office and file a theft of service criminal charge.

Suing him is not going to get you compensated because if. he does not have the money he won't pay. Let the authorities follow up they do the work and $40,000.00 is a large amount prison is involved.

It is probably the only he will be forced to pay you back. I was once business owner and have had experience with this .

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2302024

He continues to do this and changes his business name frequently. He is now operating Red River Farms in Donna, Texas if you need to find him. Hope you file charges on this thief.

View more comments (1)
Rickey A Css

Worst experience with a contract ever

Hired Nick billman / billman barns and fencing to build a 24x50 post frame shop paid 5400.00 upfront. 4 to 6 week to complete was promised and in the contract.

It took over a month to start and only worked about 2 hours the first day 4 hours the second day many many excuses later called me every name under the sun called me a liar/ ignorant/ for asking for work to be done. And said I had no right to question him and it was none of my business when he worked. Ended with no refund. Had to hire another contractor and got it done without any issues.

I just want my money back. We adopted our 4 grandkids and he knew that and in my opinion stole from us.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Was polite until he got down payment
Reason of review:
Poor customer service

Preferred solution: Full refund

Guest

There is someone by that name soliciting work in Idaho. Wondering if it is the same guy.

He has a Texas cell phone prefix 512. Name Nickolas Billman. Do you think this is the same guy?

I have had my share of problems with contractors and don’t want to go down that road again. Thank you for sharing your experience

he needs to be STOPPED

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1759018

scam artist

View more comments (2)
Mykala Uev

Breach of Contract

Updated by user Sep 17, 2017

Nick Billman's home address is 807 N. Valleyview Rd.,Donna, Tx 78537.

His business address is 288N. Gaines Rd. Cedar Creek Tx 78612 But he had rented another place in Bastrop.

I think his wife and kids still live in Cedar Creek. They were supposedly getting a divorce.

Original review Sep 16, 2017

BREACH OF CONTRACT March 26th 2017, we hired Nick Billman to enclose our patio, April 18th, build 2 sheds, May 23rd, add circle to our drive, and April 28th, remove and replace fence around property/driveway with a pipe fence. Each job had a contract w/bid and date of completion.

Also contract had warranties of 5 yrs for patio and sheds, then 10yrs on fence. The roof on the patio leaked with first rain. I called Nick and he came out to fix it the next day and said if it leaks again to let him know. Afterwards we have had leaks every time it rained.

I called him and he said he would take care of it. As of today, 9-16-17, he still hasn't come out to do that. The sheds Nick built are good and he did a good job on the circle drive. However the fence is not completed.

Nick requested weekly checks towards the labor cost to pay his workers. Against my husband's better judgement, he agreed to pay him weekly, although the contract stated 30%down and balance on completion. June 15th was last check my husband paid NIck. We paid him total price of contract except for $100.00 and was looking forward to completion of fence shortly thereafter.

That was the last time we saw Nick. Most of the pipe posts are cemented in but the top rail and fencing is not done. He never came back to finish the job. I have called, emailed, and texted him to please finish this fence and Nick hasn't answered and told me when he's going to complete the fence.

The last email I sent on 9/7, I asked him to reimburse me for labor to finish the fence and we would hire someone else. He still hasn't answered me. So here we are, out over $12,000.00 and no fence. Now we have to someone else to finish Nicks job.

We are senior citizens and on a fixed income, this sure hurts. My husband is 76 and a military vet.

It's a shame that we were taken advantage of in such a way. I don't know how he sleeps at night.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Did good work on enclosing patio except roof leaks
  • Good job on circle drive
  • Was friendly and did good work on sheds
Cons:
  • Paid for fence and will not complete
  • Took advantage of us
  • Patio roof leaks and will not fix
Reason of review:
paid for job not finished

Preferred solution: reimberse money for job not finished

Guest

I'm having a Sim problem with Nick billman. Paid money up front and can't get him to show up. One excuse after the other and gets mad if I ask when to expect any work to be done

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1505891

sorry to hear that..wish u would have read this review first. He has since contacted me and said he wanted to work w/me to resolve this and wanted to send me some documents to look at w/dependencies to my post.

i told him I would look at it...that was in January..still waiting. I don't know how he stays in business screwing over his customers.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1507488

How do we all get together to stop this thief ? He is giving small contractors a very bad name. How can we all contact each other and shut him down?

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1759020

I forgot to state he now has Agro Fencing in Cedar Creek, Tx and some companies listed under Morgan Billman,,,,,(his wife and accomplice)

View more comments (3)

Construction and Repair Expert Talks

How to Hire The Right Contractor And Not Be Scammed

Apr 16, 2021

Matt DiBarra, an expert home builder with Dibara Masonry, gives tips on how to build a house, find and hire the right contractor, and avoid home construction scams.

Read full article
Matt DiBarra
Matt DiBarra

Matt DiBarra is well-known as The Undercover Contractor. He is the owner of DiBara Masonry company in Los Angeles that specializes in house repairs, restorations, and new installations.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article