Bill Kay Ford - Midlothian, Illinois (Beware)

This is an extremely high pressure dealership . I had two bad experiences there; one in August 2006 and one in July 2011. In 2006, my 2003 Ford Explorer broke down and needed a new alternator, so I took it to Bill Kay. While having the car serviced, I looked at the new models and called a friend to take us home since they said replacing the alternator would take about 5 hours. In any case, I didn't care for the new styling that year on any of the models that would have worked for my family, but the dealer just didn't want us to walk out the door. He, another salesman, and a manager started bringing cars around for us to look at as we were walking out. After the third one, I was fed up and walked to my car to leave (yes, that 5 hour estimate really only took about 30 minutes). He pulled up in an Explorer and said, "How about a used car? I can get you into this!" I was trading in a 2003, fully-loaded Explorer with 60000 miles on it. The car he brought up was a base model 2002 Explorer with 80000 miles on it. It made no sense. I told him to get lost and left. It was a complete waste of time and when I left, I just felt drained and highly aggravated. In July of 2011, it had been awhile, so I figured I'd give them another shot. I went in and explained that I wanted to see an Explorer and a Taurus because my grandmother and I both need new cars (I figured we'd get a better deal if we bought two cars at the same time). I didn't want to bring everyone to suffer at a car dealership unless we were there to buy, so I went alone just to do some showroom research. I told the salesman I was narrowing down my options and I even said I didn't want to waste his time, so I'd be happy just looking at one in the showroom, sitting in it, and wanted to ask a few questions. The guy started grilling me about why I couldn't purchase the SUV right now and bring "granny" back for hers later. I told him I just started looking that day and didn't want to jump into the first car I looked at. He spent a few minutes trying to talk me into buying right now, but I told him I just wanted to look at the vehicles in the showroom and ask a few questions. At that, he politely guided me out of the showroom and told me to come back with my wife and grandmother when I was ready to buy. Again, I told him I just wanted to look at the car and started walking toward the showroom again. He got in my way and told me I'd have to bring my wife and "be ready to buy" before he'd show me anything. I couldn't believe it. The man had the opportunity to sell me TWO vehicles (totaling about $75000) and he almost literally pushed me out the door. Apparently, he couldn't spare five minutes to show me two cars that were literally less than 15 feet from us because he didn't want to wait a week to make the sale. My final complaint about this dealership is their service department. I mentioned this up in the first part of this review. They told me the new alternator would take about 5 hours to replace. I told them I was going to go home, but then decided to look in the showroom. While being harassed by the dealer in the showroom, I saw my Explorer drive out of the service department and park. My wife went to check at the cashier and sure enough, the car was ready. Bill Kay wanted to charge us for 5 hours of labor even though they completed the job in about half an hour. My wife raised holy *** (and we had a good case considering the drop-off time on the work order and the time stamp on our receipt would show that the car was picked up only 30 minutes later). After threatening to call our attorney (who happens to be my mother and would cost me nothing to cause them a pointless and mildly expensive legal headache), they agreed to only charge us for the alternator and one hour of labor. It really seems like their labor charges are not only inflated, but the amount of time they want to charge you for is grossly exaggerated, too. Personally, I'd stay away.
#419663

With that attitude, I wouldn't want to, Pulltype. Thankfully, the guys at Joe Perillo were a lot more gracious and professional than you or the guys at Bill Kay. That's why Perillo ended up getting my business.

#419574

Don't bother to come in to my dealership. Maybe you can buy your cars online.

View more comments (1)
ID
Chicago, Illinois

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article