Shady business practices

purchased used Toyota from them and recently found out the truck had been wrecked. When I purchased from them there was a 10 foot sign promoting their carfax promise so I naturally assumed that all used cars were free of damage. Turns out, bad move assuming anything at a dealership and assuming that sales people are honest. I was approached by Toyota to trade in my truck and then when the car fax came back, I lost close to $3k in value. I called Bill Currie and their response was " the guy doesn't work here anymore and you can bring it in and trade for a new ford and we won't *** this time...
ID
Tampa, Florida
Product
2013 Toyota Tundra Platinum Car
Cons
  • Dishonest approach in selling
Reason of review
Bad quality
Loss
Preferred solution
extended warranty for vehicle

Incompetent service department

As part of a sales agreement when purchasing my Ford F-150, a trailer brake controller was installed by Bill Currie Ford's service department. At the time of this installation, I received a service report indicating that the controller was installed, connectors put in, it was reprogrammed and tested OK. Upon purchasing my travel trailer last month, when the trailer was hooked to my truck, the brake controller failed to indicate any connection. Since it was unsafe to tow the trailer and not knowing what the problem was, I took my vehicle to Gator Ford, approximately 1/2 mile away. Their diagnostics indicated that the brake controller had not been programmed nor had the necessary relay and fuse been installed. This service cost me $198.11. When I spoke with Bill Currie's service manager seeking reimbursement, he indicated that he would not reimburse me for this amount in that anyone could have removed these parts and that Gator Ford could have said anything. My truck has only a little over 13,000 miles on it and has been serviced only by authorized Ford dealerships in that I had a purchased service maintainence plan. I am pissed that Bill Currie's service manager would suggest that another authorized Ford dealership would stoop so low as to remove parts. I am also outraged that I have had to pay twice for this service. Bill Currie Ford's service department would be better served to man up and admit their mistake. I don't plan on ever doing business with this dealership again.

In response to Bill Currie Ford's comments and suggestion that I was an unreasonable and demanding customer, I would like to point out some facts and reasoning behind my actions.

#1-I am not from Tampa, The vehicle was purchased from Bill Currie Ford and the brake controller added several weeks later. However, all other servicing has been done at a local Ford dealership in Nokomis, FL.

#2 - At the time the brake controller was installed, I was given paperwork (have document) stating inspected, installed connector, reprogrammed, tested OK. Had I known this work had not been done, I most certainly would have returned to their dealership for correction. The problem was only discovered when I purchased my trailer and it was hooked to the truck and the brake controller failed to detect a connection.

#3 - Having no prior experience with trailers or towing, I took my truck to the nearest Ford dealership (1 mile according to Google) from the RV dealership where I had to spend the night. Not knowing the extent of the problem, I authorized a $90 diagnostic fee for testing. The test results revealed the brake controller had never been programmed nor the necessary relay and fuse been added. For an additional $108.11 they corrected the problem with total charges of $198.11. I have the paperwork documenting the diagnostic results.

#4 - This is not a situation of poor workmanship or a failed part, it is a case of work not having been performed that I previously paid for and assumed had been done. It is not just my opinion that the work had not been completed but what was verified by a sophisticated diagnostic program whose codes so indicated and this was performed by another authorized dealership.

Am I a pissed consumer for having to pay for this work twice? You bet. Am I unreasonable to demand reimbursement under these circumstances? I don't think so.

We are reasonable and fair with our Service Customers, and guarantee everything we do. We would like to point out some facts about the above complaint.

First, the trailer brake controller was installed in August of 2009. That is nearly 4 years ago. We have never heard from this customer since he purchased this item. As far as we knew, everything was working, as it should. Secondly, as stated above, we guarantee everything we do, if it’s not right simply tell us and we’ll make it right. Lastly, the first and only contact that we have had with this customer was a demand letter demanding that we pay this bill.

Had the customer contacted us in any way, to inform us that he had a problem with his brake controller, we would have fixed it for him at no charge. He did not contact us in any way other than to demand payment for the repair of a problem we didn’t even know existed. That does not seem reasonable or fair.

Again, had he brought the problem to our facility, we would have repaired it at no charge. According to Google Maps, our facility is only 20 minutes from the facility that this customer chose to do the repair. He could have easily brought it to us and saved the cost of the repair, he elected not too.

View more comments (1)
ID
Tampa, Florida
Loss

About

Bill Currie Ford Pros and Cons

Cons: Dishonest approach in selling

Summary

Bill Currie Ford in Tampa, FL, has been a premier new Ford dealer serving Tampa Bay Area customers for more than 50 years. Customers from Tampa, Wesley Chapel, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Land O' Lakes, Westchase and throughout the region can attest to vehicles and expert service provided by the company. Tampa area customers can find a full selection of new Ford vehicles at Bill Currie Ford, including the 2013 Ford Explorer, 2013 Ford Focus, 2013 Ford Mustang, 2013 Ford Edge, 2013 Ford F-150, 2013 Ford Escape and many others. Bill Currie Ford also regularly offers special incentives and rebates on new Fords to Tampa area customers. Certified Pre-Owned Fords are available for those looking for new Ford quality at a used car price. The pre-used inventory is both foreign and domestic, from manufacturers like Honda, Acura, Scion, Toyota, Lexus, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Pontiac, GMC, Audi, Volkswagen, BMW, Mini, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes, Smart Car, Nissan, Infiniti and many others. The repair facility of the company is 30,000-square-foot body shop in Tampa.

Bill Currie Ford reviews and complaints

Bill Currie Ford is ranked 1466 out of 4363 in Dealers category

Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article