Park Owner's daughter used a dirty utensil on me to remove splinter.

On September 07, 2013 I visited Beechbend Park. Later in evening I was struck with misfortune when I sat down at an eating area in the park. One of the picnic benches had a stray piece of wood that went into my hand causing a splinter in my pinky finger on my left hand. I noticed some pain, therefore, I sought out first aid. There was a female (name tag stated Charlotte Gonzalez) driving one of the shuttles and I asked her to give me and my daughter a ride to the first aid station. I felt it was best to take the shuttle due to me being pregnant and I feeling exhausted. Upon reaching the first aid station, I was asked to wait outside due to others being inside of the first aid station. I later entered as directed and I sat down waiting for the first aid attendant. After some time went by nobody showed up. Later, the same female who had given me a shuttle ride entered the room. I am unaware of whether or not she was trained to perform first aid or not. However, she offered to assist me in the removal of the splinter from my finger. She first reached into a drawer and grabbed a pair of eye glasses then she looked at the depth of the splinter. She then reached for a splinter kit and a pair of tweezers. She also had a medicine cup filled with a clear substance which she later claimed to be alcohol. She asked my daughter to hold the cup and be her helper. My daughter then took the cup and held it. She stuck the tweezers in the cup but they were not fully submerged. I asked her “are the tweezers properly sterilized”? She said “I put them in alcohol”. She then sat in front of me and told me to turn my head. She then started to cut open my skin and it became painful. My skin started to bleed and she wiped it away with a wipe. She cut it several times which caused me extreme discomfort and heavy bleeding, each time wiping away the traces of blood. She then took he tweezers and pulled half the splinter out and then later the full splinter. Upon the removal I noticed inside of the tweezers there was hardened, dark blood. I became alarmed and asked my daughter why she had not told me that blood was on the tweezers. I then confronted the female who had assisted in the removal of the splinter and she advised me not to worry that the tip touched me directly and probably nothing else. I asked to see the tweezers again once my husband arrived at he scene and she said she had 3 pairs. I was shown 2 and one was not the same shape as the ones used on me but they also contained minor traces of blood. The other pair was dingy but not bloody. The third pair was never shown to me. However, I was informed that the tweezers were cleaned after she used them on me. I have since contacted my health department as well as my doctor. Both are very disappointed with what has taken place and have ordered blood tests to rule out blood-borne illnesses. However, due to the incubation of certain diseases I have to go through a series of blood tests at different intervals. My doctor's concern is that I was put at risk for Hepatitis and possibly other illnesses as an act of negligence on the behalf of the female who assisted me. Also,it posed a threat to my unborn child at the time as well as the rest of my family members. I lost much sleep the first few days after this incident and even now it stays steadily on my mind. This entire incident should have never occurred and has caused me undue pain and suffering. It will also be a long-term worry due to the future blood tests which will be required. I have contacted the owners and to my dismay they have never responded. I recently discovered by reading their website that Charlotte Gonzalez is the daughter of the owner. Therefore, I suppose they will never follow-up with me in order to protect their daughter's name. This is very upsetting for me and my family.
ID
Bowling Green, Kentucky

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article