Scam backed by arbitration

Why are these complaints about Duracell? Batteries + Bulbs is giving Duracell a bad name. Those dead car batteries you bring in to receive a core deposit of $16 are being "reconditioned" and sold as new by B+B. Of course they'll gladly install the battery for free that way you don't get a good look at it; and the moment it's been hooked up to your vehicle... "no returns, no exchanges". Reconditioned batteries last about 3 months. Warranty? You unknowingly bought a reconditioned battery - they'll claim it's not the battery they sold you and threaten you for trying to return/exchange an old battery or they'll claim you tampered with it. They've been doing this a long time; it's a fine-tuned, well rehearsed scam to keep every penny from every sale. READ THE BACK OF YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE YOU WALK OUT OF THE STORE AND CHECK THE DATE ON YOUR "NEW" CAR BATTERY. This message applies to all batteries they sell.

User's recommendation: B+B is ruthless and they don't discriminate.

Tucson, Arizona

Verified Reviewer

Buyer beware!!!

Update by user Oct 14, 2020

Today received text from owner Keith Marrott and stated " I have decided to remove my offer of store credit." and "Your battery is available to pick up at you convenience within the next 30 days. If it is not picked up within 30 days, we will deem it abandoned and dispose of it at our discretion." Online account shows he removed the store credit for my account

Original review updated by user Nov 12, 2020
Buyer beware!!! Had one bad experience years ago, and a relative convinced me to go to Keith in Orem and he will "take care of me". Well, bought a battery and would not hold a charge. Drive during the day and next morning, would not turn over motor. Took to local auto shop -did load test and stated battery good, probably something in van draining battery. With fully charged battery, dead battery next morning. Once happened out of town and had to call AAA to help. I travel quite a bit to rural area of the west where there is no town within 50+ miles, and many times poor /non-existence cell phone service. Even the best warranty would not help me then. When working as a travel nurse, if I miss a shift at the hospital, I pay a $250 fine for the missed shift. So, after a month of my regular mechanic looking for a parasitic drain to no avail, I told him to replace the battery with one I can trust when on the road. Per Keith Marrott (owner) " I never sell a customer a battery when that customer still has warranty left on their existing battery. I believe it is dishonest! It benefits your mechanic and only your mechanic. " Well, His warranty would be of no help if I am in the middle of Wyoming with a dead battery and need to get to work with a dead battery. All he did (after having battery for three months on a 48 month warranty) is give me 80% value on other products. (and treating me like a dumb female) Avoid at all costs!!!! 1st update - after owner (Keith) received my reviews, he stated in an email "After further review of your situation .....I have decided to remove my offer of store credit....Your battery is available to pick up at you convenience within the next 30 days. If it is not picked up within 30 days, we will deem it abandoned and dispose of it at our discretion. (sent to me on Oct 14, 2020). 2nd update - Went to pick up battery Mon, Nov 2, 2020, the battery was dead, and the sales staff stated it was warrantied, and they would replace it. As of today (Nov 12, 2020) they do not have a replacement battery and still waiting. (glad I bought a battery from my mechanic otherwise I would not have a car to use).
Orem, Utah
Cons
  • Treats female as if stupid
  • Does not honor warranty
  • Terrible customer service
Loss
Preferred solution
Full refund

Verified Reviewer

Review not published warning to others

Update by user Nov 04, 2020

Forgot to add on the last update...we found another essential battery supplier that gladly accommodated with no mask issues involved. In fact we will this this new supplier for all our fleet battery needs.Buyer beware of this Batteries Plus ....!!!

Update by user Nov 04, 2020

Update, week of Oct 19,2020. Ordered battery online, paid for it online, as this company that had item in stock, and as an essential item.

When arrived at the store, the clerk asked me to leave as I had no, and could not wear a mask. He said to wait outside, after I explained my medical condition. Other customers came and went, and the clerk inside left me standing outside. When I returned to my shop, I called the store manager and told her what the issue was.

She remembered my situation from earlier incidents, and apologized. She even offered to deliver the battery after she left work. As the need was immediate, I asked for a refund and did receive. This company does not care about people with medical difficulties, and an apology does not help, especially when the manager told me on earlier occasions I would be taken care of.

Therefore anyone without a mask, cannot buy from this company. Our famiy, and friends, will not use this essential supplier, very sad.

Update by user Sep 18, 2020

Had to purchase another battery as could not find anywhere, bought online to get discount. Went into store, young man at counter was rude and told me i had to wear a mask.

I explained again, could not. He could not find the order, and took some time, pulled the battery off the shelf and handed it to me, of course without the mounting bolts. No thank you, and turned and walked away.Since i gave a bad review that they did not publish, I was never asked for a review on this purchase. Again, they do not allow negative reviews.A week after this purchase, I found out I had the wrong size battery, either by their mistake or mine.

Called the store and explained what happened, the gladly said ok to return and get the proper size. Arriving at the store again, was asked to wear a mask, and the nice older fellow listened to my no mask explanation, politely.

Exchanged my battery with politeness, and i was on my way. I could have given them a great review, but i was not allowed, nor asked.

Update by user Aug 19, 2020

They contacted me and apologized, said they had trouble with a manager, and what would it take to make it right. I said to publish my negative review for others to be aware.

Original review posted by user Aug 19, 2020
Ordered battery online couple weeks ago. Arrived at store to pickup battery. was asked to leave as not wearing a mask. I explained to the lady that I cannot wear a mask for medical reasons. I explained that I was burned in an explosion, showed my arms, and explained my lungs were burned. I was refused service, so I asked for a refund and received. Last week needed a battery for medical device, and the only battery available was from this company. This time had to go through curbside service, and the young man would not deliver to my vehicle as he left the battery by the front door, as i was not wearing a mask. After the purchase, I was asked for a customer review and published. I explained that their company was private property, however I could not find the battery elsewhere. I then politely asked them to review the CDC guidelines and footnotes regarding masks as "inconclusive evidence" and read the Idaho Constitution, and shamed them for treating someone that was handicapped. I received a phone call stating they take their reviews seriously and could help in any way, however they would not publish my negative review. I explained I wanted other handicapped people, or people that could not wear a mask, on an essential item, beware. They would not print my review, as they only publish positive reviews. Buyer beware!!! Buy from another source.

User's recommendation: buy elsewhere.

Pocatello, Idaho
Product
Duracell Battery
Pros
  • Only one available in pocatello for medical device
  • Wide selection
  • Wide variety
Cons
  • Will not accomodate a non mask wearer or handicapped person
  • Discriminate against non mask wearers with medical condition
  • Discriminate against non mask wearers
Preferred solution
post my negative review that other people can be aware

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article