Delmi M Wbx

Verified Reviewer
| map-marker Los Angeles, California

After more than two months I haven't received the refund.

Called from Guatemala to make a reservation for a hotel in Guatemala!! and the prices were given to me in Quetzales which is the legal currency there.

They asked credit card information to make the reservation. Next I got an email with confirmation with charges in USD. Called them and after about an hour going back and forth with different people and asking an explanation just to be told that ALL hotels in Guatemala charge in USD and that my reservation was not allow cancellation to which I was not informed. Finally Ivania Arias agreed to approved my cancellation and refund.

As of today they never refunded the money which is 1700 USD for something that I cancelled in less than 24 hours and didn't use either because Ivania told me that the credit was going to take few days. And of course they don't asnwer my emails.

User's recommendation: Please don't book with this hotel.

Kristen M Zxj

Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer
| map-marker Playa Del Carmen, Quintana Roo

Recent stay at Royal Hideaway Playacar

Barcelo - Recent stay at Royal Hideaway Playacar

I have tried to use the contact form on your website, but just as many things such as phone numbers and fees, are not functional or accurate on this site, the complaint form will not send due to some undisclosed "error". This is the message I sent and hopefully info you might be interested in, although I am somewhat doubtful at this point.

Hello,

I recently stayed at Royal Hideaway with my husband, 3 adult children, and my 80 year old mother-in-law.

Our first stay was 16 years ago when we loved it so must we purchased a timeshare with Occidental. There are so many wonderful things about this hotel. The staff and guests are wonderful, making it easy to have a fun time. The main issue we had (along with almost every other guests we spoke with) was the A/C not working properly.

Most rooms were uncomfortably hot. Azia one night was so hot (particularly when you are asking men to wear long pants) we almost had to leave. Also, my mother-in-laws room was a mess when she arrived (bed stripped, puddles of water on floor, trash still in room). We heard this was a common issue among many of the guests.

There seems to be a lot of plumbing issues (leaks creating slippery and dangerous situations), no hot water, no water at all, etc.) Also, many of the rooms smell of mildew. I know the staff was trying their best, but it seems that they do not have enough functional rooms to put all the guests in. They are sadly fielding a lot of complaints that they have no resources to handle. While there, my husband and I renewed our vows.

This was very stressful and chaotic experience to the point we almost did not go thru with it. Again, it seems that Barcelo is just not investing enough in proper staff training. They are having to try to come up with their own processes and protocols. I know they are trying their best.

Although the hotel superficially looks beautiful, it definitely needs some updating. Indoor and outdoor furniture is worn with cushions often missing from chairs. I do not believe anything has been updated since we were there 16 years ago. We would love to go back because it was one of our absolute favorite hotels in such a beautiful location.

However, I would not so until I know these issues have been resolved and there are at the very least rooms that are comfortable to stay in. I sincerely hope you take this information into consideration, and we hope to hear that Barcelo is addressing these issues as quickly as possible.

Pros:
  • Hotel that could be wonderful
Cons:
  • Need to invest money and time into this hotel

Preferred solution: I would like to see Barcelo fix the issues in this hotel so that we may feel comfortable staying there again. There was also much of our time wasted before and during our stay on issues that could have been avoided.

User's recommendation: Would not recommend until issues are resolved

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article