Still collecting fees

I'm a new resident of two years and I saw a mailer come out from the Treasurer asking for donations stating donations are not tax deductible. How can this HOA operate if it is not tax deductible and if we are donating, why don't we get the financial reports? There is also an Amalfi project going up down the street. The HOA website states the HOA is against it, yet during the townhall with Marquis, Tisha Green and Keith Renty stood up to support the project. Tisha Green also snapped lots of photos with Marquis and seems to have some sort of connection, yet she comes across as trying to unite the neighborhood. This group of "leaders" does not add up. John Gonzales is also a part of this cohort. Something is fishy, especially when emails are going out stating people are donating more than the $25. Where are these funds going? I don't see any neighborhood improvements. It's been the same for 2 years.
ID
Cons
  • Fraud
Reason of review
Damaged or defective
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Illegal Baldwin Hills HOA Escrow Fees and HOA Dues

We sold our house in Baldwin Hills in 2010. I realized through some research that there is a false HOA operating in this this area under the "Baldwin Hills HOA." We were slapped with thousands of dollars in escrow fees, and also received letters for liens against our home before that. I understand the HOA had no legal standing to do this. This was happening from 2008-**** as far as I know. This group also collected $110 from each resident for security cameras to be installed. I called LAPD to find out more. We paid this too. This group wrote an $89,000 check to the Police Foundation for 8 cameras. The HOA President told them only to install 4 and did not update residents. Only half of the cameras were installed and the project is over. The cameras only line Don Tomaso Drive. I hear they are now illegally electing and removing good people. There is no accounting posted on the site. Yet they still solicit donations for parties for personal gains, under this false HOA. I still get their emails! Hundreds of people were impacted by these fees, what can I do?! Has anyone else heard about this? We have moved away, but we want our thousands back.

I'm sure there are others. How can they collect dues for an HOA that is not even a recognized organization to collect and manage funds? Help.

This is the Baldwin Hills in Los Angeles, CA, correct?My exwife is on NextDoor who told me there has been a massive turnover of Board Members. The new people had sound judgment who were kicked off within the past two months.

Nothing is happening with the board now. Meetings are not announced with enough time for the community to be involved. People are claiming to be a part of the Board that supposedly resigned and are back on.

Money is still be solicited for yearly dues and a block party, but no financials have been disclosed to the community.

There has been backlash on this, but no one is doing anything about it. Even discussion of conflicts of interest.

The former president runs the empowerment council and is involved with that.

Lots of dirty laundry being aired. A huge mess of people be scammed.

I would stay away, and do not give any dues until they are established as a legal organization.

Assume your funds are not being used for the good of the community.

View more comments (1)
ID
Las Vegas, Nevada
Service
Baldwin Hills Estates Homeowners Association Home Selling
Cons
  • Fraud
  • People
Reason of review
Fraud
Loss
Preferred solution
Give back all illegal escrow fees and camera money

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article