B and T Towing= Predatory Towing Company!

On January 25, at around 4:45 AM (according to court testimony), my 1996 Chevy was towed by B and T towing company of Detroit. My car had plates with current tags and was properly insured. It was not located in a no parking zone and posed no hazard to anyone. It was not imposing on anyone's private property. Moreover, my home was only some 90 feet away from the car's location! The police did not red tag the car or give me any other sort of warning that it would be towed. I understand that they are no longer required to do so by law yet this basically leaves the owner of the car with no idea what happened and only adds to delays in getting to the bottom of the issue and higher "storage fees." The car was stuck in a cluster of snow and ice and could not be moved by conventional means. When my room mate and I attempted to move the car using his aunt's truck and my (other) car, both vehicles were temporarily stuck in the mess. Were it not for the severity of the weather, the car would have been moved sooner. Michigan law states that the police department is to notify the Michigan Department Of Transportation within 24 hours of towing an 'abandoned' vehicle. The law goes on to say that the state then has seven days to notify the owner of the vehicle's seizure. My car was seized on January 25 yet the letter from the state that I received was dated February 17. Clearly, someone dropped the ball in getting back to me! I reported the car stolen the same day it was seized. The police officer on duty accessed his computer system and gave me a report number yet nothing was said or suggested that the car had or could have been towed. I went to 31st District Court to contest the towing and lost the case. B and T towing now wants some $1,138.00 to release the vehicle. I sent them the signed title by registered mail on Tuesday, March 25 in a bid to avoid any more hassles. With the title, I included a letter stating that if they accept the title, they agree to wave any further fees against me. So called "storage fees" are simply a risk and cost free way for a towing company to make some extra cash. The $300.00 (give or take) that B and T Towing will make from the sale of my car as scrap metal will more than cover any towing fees incurred.

Well, first of all the street was never plowed. All the snow was left intact, only my car was towed.

Thanks for assuming that I wasn't "paying attention." Don't you know what happens when we 'assume' thing about others ?

In any case, the car conked out when my room mate was driving it on the freeway some days before. I had it towed by my insurance company and parked on that side street specifically so it would NOT be in front of anyone's spot or in any no parking zones.

We are not allowed to park in our backyards in Hamtramck nor do most of us have driveways. Some of us had to have our garages sealed off due to repeated break ins.

The day after it was parked on the side street our area got hit w/ a major snow storm. Once again, the street was NOT plowed so you can keep that excuse!

Removing snow off city streets, don't follow those rules. If you had been paying attention you probably would have heard on the news that cars on east/west or north/south streets had to be moved by a certain time.

When you live where there is snow and ice, it is up to you to pay attention to things. Exactly how did your car get in that predicament anyway?

View more comments (1)
ID
Hamtramck, Michigan
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article