Crooked, Incompetent, CA attorney and the Bar that won't do anything.

My wife and I had a business and we accepted an off the books investor - someone we'd done business with for years. He was going to set us up in the field of his expertise, which made much more money than ours. He had just sold his company so he wanted to invest in another startup. Instead, he had us buy material and machines at about ten times their actual cost from his friends and associates and put us out of business. At that time he tried to take control of our company, machinery, and assets, but we sold it all to cover our debts (maybe 80%). We Lost Everything. He then sued us for his investment back, calling it a loan. We hired an attorney to file a countersuit (he had invested less than 100k, we lost close to $2m) hoping to have him drop the suit, or, if it went to court, to try to recoup some of our loses. Our attorney never wrote, completed, or filed our suit. I spent hundreds of hours cataloging evidence, invoices, dates, timelines, photographs, witness names, addresses and phone numbers, we had one expert witness come in who was interviewed for more than three hours, etc... I even wrote up questions for him to ask the suing party during depositions. He did none of this. I'd go into his office and be told time and again how "great" the countersuit was going. How they'd be "sorry they ever filed against us" etc... It was all a lie. Instead, he had us file for a BK we didn't qualify for, we did as a means to delay the suit while ours was being prepared, except that was his end game. Just for us to declare BK. He Never Did Anything We Hired Him For. He never lifted a finger to file our countersuit. When we went to court, he was unprepared and barely knew our case. He didn't bring Any of our evidence to court, no papers, invoices, statements, etc... The opposing attorney and his client lied through their teeth the entire time, and all our atty did was ask "where's the agreement?" We paid close to $30k for this? We lost. Then he refused to file an appeal, telling us "we could just file bankruptcy." Which, as I mentioned prior, we couldn't - and he knew we couldn't because we'd gone over this a few dozen times in his office. The bottom line was, he didn't give a ***. I went to several other bankruptcy attorneys to find out what our options were, and we were screwed. So I asked if our attorney had malpractice insurance, despite almost a dozen emails over a month long period, he never replied (which legally he has to). I then asked for my case file and was told I didn't have any right to his work product (which also wasn't true). It took almost two months to get it from him and ALL of the evidence I (and my wife) had compiled had been removed. The notes from our expert witness interview? They were gone too. All, Every Single Piece, of our evidence had been destroyed, which messes up any future bankruptcy, ensures I can no longer file against the person who defrauded us, and most importantly, ensures I can't file against the attorney for fraud and destruction of evidence. So I filed a complaint with the Bar. Which has been, and always will be, a total waste of time. I sent them hundreds of pages of documentation, with emails showing they were working on a counter-suit, and that he never replied with his malpractice information. But since my attorney had destroyed all our evidence, it was actually very little to go on - but it was there if they cared. But it's the bar, it exists to protect attorney's, not prosecute them. So they replied "if I feel I haven't been represented well, feel free to consult another attorney." You've got to be kidding me. Anyhow, I'm not stopping. I heard he'd screwed up a number of clients in similar fashion. I wish I knew how to get in touch with them.
ID
Service
Attorney Marend Mclaurin Garrett Attorney
Reason of review
Poor customer service

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article