America Hears in PA: beware of service after the sale

Just found out my Freedom hearing aid purchased online from America Hears in PA no longer supports my aid- 8 yrs after purchase for $1000. BEWARE, if you buy online you may not be able to have it serviced or repaired. Its been on OK instrument but needs some minor adjustments. I strongly object to any excuse the firm offers, like lack of parts etc. GM/Chrysler/Ford make sufficient parts to last so should these companies. They did offer to SELL me a new aid for a discount, but this is not my idea of a good firm that backs up their products. As much as I like to save a buck online, I will most likely buy locally next time. George in Tallahassee

Hearing Devices are not cars...average HA usage per year 4000 hours. Means on average your device has over 32,000 hours on it.

Not bad for $1000 bucks. See how good your $1000 car runs after 400,000 miles having no professional service. Ridiculous.

No I don't work for America Hears, I do however listen to a small amount of people tell me stories like this when they come to my office for hearing aids. I refuse to fit unrealistic people.

George if your aid lasted 8 years, you got your money's worth out of it. They are always coming out with new technology and it's probably gonna be a better investment if you purchase new rather than throw money at an 8 year old aid. Consider the benefit it gave you and divide the cost by the number of days you wore it.

I am on my second pair. The first pair lasted 8 years and when I ordered my new ones they repaired the old ones at no cost. couldn't be happier with America Hears.

@PissedConsumer1048441

Why didn't they just repair your old one and give it back? Why did you have to buy a new one? I don't get it!

I am also an employee of America Hears. I have to say that I disagree with the previous comments.

AH has been selling hearing aids both online and in PA for over 20 years. The previous owner and engineer is a Bucks County native and is still working to provide better hearing for this community. Our company provides a great technology without all of the inflated costs that our competitors choose to add and both our walk up office and call center is staffed with Licensed Hearing Instrument Specialists. Our goal is and has always been to Help People Hear Better.

It saddens me to see that one of my former coworkers has chosen to say these things. If you are in PA, please stop by our office and see for yourselves.

As for the patient above, I am sorry we were unable to meet and exceed your hearing needs. We are constantly working to improve on our technology. Sometimes this does mean that we can no longer support older products.

The average life span of any hearing aid is 5 years (this is an industry standard, not a company one). Currently we are supporting technology that is 8 years old. Unfortunately, if the aid you purchased was an older technology at the time of purchase (usually a lower price point) it is reasonable that technology was out of date 8 years later.

Again, I am sorry that you feel we were dishonest. It was not our intentions.

@PissedConsumer951316

Why are hearing aids only good for 5 years? Do they just shut down after 5 years, or do they change the way you hear in 5 years or does your hearing change in five years and that is why they are no good.

If you bought a car and they said you would need a new one in five years without an explanation would you buy it?

If you say the technology is new but you are happy with the way your 5 year old sounds why should you get another? Just trying to understand the logic here.

I used to work for this company, so I can personally tell you that their return rate is incredibly high on new sales. Their devices are definitely sold for a cheaper price, but it's also reflected in the quality of what you get.

Also, as you've mentioned, it's always best to deal with a local Audiologist who can work with you one-on-one.

The home fitting software is definitely not for everyone and it can't do what a trained Audiologist can. Definitely NOT recommended to people with hearing loss.

View more comments (6)
ID
Seattle, Washington

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article