AFS Foundation and Waterproofing Specialists Reviews

Show reviews that mention
crawl space sump pump water house interior pipes price sump pump salesman issues
Filter review

Solicited

Lance Archer did an excellent inspection of the situation here. He was thorough, knowledgeable, courteous and punctual. He left me with lots of materials to review and consider. I couldn't have asked for more from an inspector.
Madison, Alabama

Verified Reviewer

Very bad experience

The repairman did damage to my projects foundation, they took over two weeks to repair it, offered no discount and verbally promised things that weren't in the contract that they later refused to provide. This was in Nashville, Jan. 2020.

User's recommendation: Find someone,anyone else. Rip off.

$2000
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Inform and improve

Sales rep Lee was too pushy, would not accept the refusal, no respect for COVID-19 precautions, and I am an older person. Basically tied me up for hours before giving me the price that was unreasonable. I couldn't get him out of my house! I cant fairly review product, but owners need to be aware their sales rep, needs more training, and role-playing on how to interact with customers.

User's recommendation: Do not recommend.

ID
#2196809 Review #2196809 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Mobile, Alabama

Verified Reviewer

Beware!

AFS Foundation and Waterproofing Specialists - Beware!
They charged me $4,000 to install a sump pump and easy flow to keep the water out from under my house. They said it was a 4 man 2 day job. 2 men finished in less than 8 hours. A few weeks later I sent inspectors to take a look under the house and they found it full of water because they didnt even bury the easy flow which is supposed to be buried six inches. They didnt even pitch the ground so it would flow in the correct direction. On top of that, they busted a water pipe under the house. The sales rep completely ignores my correspondence regarding the problems. Supposedly a lifetime warranty is included - thats a joke!

Mrs. Wells, We understand that you have been in touch with Management over this and we are very pleased that we were able to come to a resolution.

@afsrepair

Mr Bayless agreed to resolve the matter and advised the Better Business Bureau that he would send a refund check on 4/24. Two weeks later, no check has been sent and you haven’t responded to the BBB’s request that you provide proof that it was sent.

So, more of the same from AFS.

Still have a flooded crawl space and it’s been flooded for 3 months!! Horrible experience Sent from my iPhone

I would take them to Small Claims Court. AFS supposedly is a reputable company.

Sometimes Court is the only thing they understand..

Also, notify the BBB and Blast them on social media.. The more people that see your complaint, the more that will stay away from this Company.

@PissedConsumer1849483

Looks like I will have no other alternative. They lied yet again.

This has not been resolved until they follow through with their proposed refund they have been claiming for months they were going to make.

Not surprised given the series of events. This used to be a fairly reputable company but from what I experienced and have seen lately from other AFS customers, they will likely end up out of business soon.

View more comments (3)
ID
Cons
  • Dishonest fraudulent
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

AFS Foundation and Waterproofing Specialists - Customer Care Review

Not a company that stands by their customers. When shown damage to a floor that was not there before. Said it was not the fault of their jack hammer! When you call and ask a question about equipment they question you why you are calling. Not a very good reliable company. Always putting you off to someone else. Nobody has an answer for you. Price extermely high for what turnover time they do.

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience with our company. We surely do not want to leave customers with a bad impression, as we wholeheartedly stand behind our customers.

We strive to provide the best customer service and will definitely use your feedback to make sure we're better serving our customers in person and over the phone.

Your feedback and concerns have been forwarded to Management. If it is more convenient for you, please contact us directly at 256-418-4540 so that we may further discuss your problem.

Service
Afs Foundation And Waterproofing Specialists Customer Care
Poor customer service

AFS Foundation and Waterproofing Specialists - Review in Household Services category from Alabaster, Alabama

2 of the 6 employees in my training group are still employed. Most left on terrible terms after being lied to about compensation issues. They owe me $1000's in commissions. They are dishonest and should be avoided by customers and job seekers alike.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for any dissatisfaction with your employment at AFS. A superior employee experience is critical for us and we truly regret that we were unable to provide you with the level of satisfaction that we consistently strive to provide to each and every one of our employees. Even though we have a very low turnover rate among our employees, we do our best to resolve any such issues.

Alabaster, Alabama

AFS Foundation and Waterproofing Specialists - Repair Review from Daphne, Alabama

The salesman was very nice and knowledgeable. However he told me they don't fix slab water issues. Very frustrating because the office told me that they could send someone out and get me all fixed up. I took a 1/2 day off work. I'm a single mom with 3 kids I can't afford to have my time wasted. Then the office wouldn't stop calling asking if I received a quote. Very unprofessional company.
#1203533

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience with our company. We understand that customers have busy lives and we value your time.

We apologize for the misunderstanding when it comes to repairing slab foundations. Slab Waterproofing is not in our line of services but we do send out Certified Inspectors to inspect your problem area in case there is an underlying issue that we're able to repair.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you and will use it as a training opportunity for our staff to clarify during your initial call with our company. We strive to provide the best service from beginning to end and appreciate your feedback. If you would like to stop receiving calls from our Appointment Center, please call 256-418-4540 or email info(at)afsrepair(dot)com and provide your name and property address and we will take you off our Follow-Up list.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience. Thanks!

Daphne, Alabama
Service
Afs Foundation And Waterproofing Specialists Repair
Not as described/ advertised

Sump pump alarm has been sounding for 3 days

Tuesday, Dec 22, at just about supper time the alarm went off. I called AFS and let them hear what I was hearing. They said evidently the sump pump had water in or on it causing the alarm to go off. She said they couldn't send anyone that night but would send someone out Weds. After calling numerous times I was told that everyone was booked up and that a salesman would come out for sure today (Thurs) and turn the alarm off. Well it is now almost 4 p.m on Christmas Eve and nobody has come or called. I did call AFS at about 11 am and she said the salesmen had promised to come. No one has showed up, I called about 3 p.m. and the office is closed. Tomorrow is Christmas, it looks like the alarm will sound until next week. I paid a lot of money to have this installed and I'm paying the monthly fee also for in between service. This equipment is underneath my house, I'm 81 years old and I don't crawl under houses too well. Not happy.

We would like to apologize for your recent experience with our sump pump. We take ownership for the mishap and apologize for not being available at the time you needed.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you during the holiday season and will use it as a training opportunity for our staff. We pride ourselves on taking care of our customers and thank you for being diligent with us during this process.

We are thankful that Matt went above the call of duty to rectify the situation. If there is anything additional that we can do for you please let us know!

It is an awful sound when your water watch alarm goes off and I truly understand not wanting to go under the home but if you are able to have someone go under they can take the little red hockey puck off the top of the sump and as soon as it dries out the sound will stop. It's letting you know your sump is working but faster than it expected due to all the flooding rains we received around the holidays.

Also due you being older and not able to get under the home like that it might help to leave it inside the crawlspace just inside the door so if it happens again you can reach it without having to crawl under.

I do not work for AFS and am sorry you had to go through that but the noise is better that a wet crawlspace in the long run! Happy new year and good luck!

A very nice young man, Matt Schroeder came about 5:45 p.m. and turned that awful alarm off.

A special Thanks to him for coming out on Christmas Eve after dark. He has scheduled me for a service call to see why sump pump was going off in the first place.

#1195980
@PissedConsumer1083573

It should be known that Mr. Schroeder was probably not compensated in any way for this service call.

AFS has a policy of not paying commissioned salespeople for anything but the sale itself. Nothing for visits such as this, trade shows, weekly meetings, free estimates,etc. They very often short the salespeople on commissions as well. Very disrespectful and cheap company to work for.

Matt went way out of his way for this gentleman. AFS handles service and install out of the North Alabama offices.

View more comments (3)
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Poor customer service

Alabama Foundation Specialists (AFS) gets an F!

We were sold a complete crawl space waterproofing system, and reassured that the lifetime warranty would address any and all subsequent water issues. The salesman told us that they would install a sump in our crawl space, in any location we wanted it (we wanted it under our kitchen, not our bedroom). He told us that they would install pipes in the interior and exterior of the crawl space to address all pooled water, and would completely re-grade the crawl space so that water naturally drained to pipes. He told us the water discharge pipe from the sump would be placed outside at the perimeter of our yard with a pop-up valve that would be not be visible above the level of the grass unless it was in use. We had a long discussion with the salesman, with our home builder present. The price seemed extremely high for the quantity of materials and required man hours, but the salesman told us the price was due to the re-grading, as they would bring as much grave and fill dirt as was needed to re-grade, and that the work would probably take a team of 6-8 men at least one full day. He also commented that the work would be much cheaper if done during house construction, but costs more once the house was already built due to the nature of working in a crawl space (although we have 3-4 feet of space in all areas). So, we agreed to service. Scheduling was a nightmare. It took almost two months to get scheduled. After the first visit when the work wasn't done properly, we couldn't get a quality control person to come out at all, but the salesman came back out. After the salesman's second visit, it took approximately three weeks for another crew to come out. The quality of work was terrible. Instead of a 6-8 man crew, we got a three man crew that showed up late, and did shoddy work (they were present about 3 hours). They only installed a perimeter pipe and sump pump - no interior pipes, and absolutely no grading to the pipes. They didn't even bother replacing the vapor barrier. The discharge pipe was places at the perimeter of the yard, but they left the white pipe about 12 inches high, with no valve or anything on it. My husband had to cut the pipe himself, and call the salesman out to get the valve/topper put on the pipe (a second day off from work). The first time it rained, the sump worked, but because the crawl space wasn't graded, we still got water pooling. After dozens of phone calls and about three weeks, we were scheduled to get another three man crew over to install the interior pipes and re-grade. When the second crew showed up, it was two men in a pick-up truck with a couple bags of gravel. They didn't regrade anything, and they didn't install any interior pipes...when we called the quality control guy, he refused to answer our calls. When the crew called him, the quality control guy specifically told them NOT to regrade (even though that was the rationale for the extremely high cost according to the salesman, and the ONLY reason we agreed to pay that amount). The salesman apologized for "misleading" us, and told us that the only way they would regrade or install interior pipes is if we could PROVE that the exterior pipes weren't working properly. So now we are left with having to go into the crawl space after every rain, pulling back the vapor barrier, and checking for pooled water so we can force them to do what they promised to do in the first place (we actually have a diagram from the salesman showing that they would install interior pipes). This company did not met their contractual obligations, and blatantly lied about the amount of work they would do in order to justify their extraordinarily high prices. We could have done the same work ourselves with a shovel, a couple bags of gravel, a sump pump and pipe from a home improvement store, in less time, for about 1/5 of the cost, with a lot less hassle and better results. Don't waste your time or money with AFS!

The only reason you are concerned is because it may cost you future business. What goes around comes around and you can put that in the bank.

Prospective home buyers had AFS do inspection of some bricks with cracks on exterior of our home. No block foundation cracks anywhere but AFS insists we need $14000.00 worth of repairs.

Had another foundation company check today and they said brick cracks are normal in a 40+ year old home.

The crack AFS said was in one block was a miracle repair by 2nd Companies employee by using a broom to remove a cobweb. They will do anything to scam you out of money beware beware

Very expensive, but I needed to correct a wet crawlspace. Based on their recommendation, they installed a drain, a pump, and then encapulated the crawlspace.

After repeated calls, finally got someone to come out to do a quality check. The pump had not be connected, the encapsulated space had muddy water in many places. Over $30K wasted. Have to make repeated calls to get someone to assist.

My assessment: no service after the sale, poor quality work, they do not stand by their work. Think hard before wasting you money on them....get second, third estimates and check their background with customers who have used them.

I've worked with Ben Bayless Jr. at AFS and he is a great business owner who really cares about his customers and will make sure that all are treated fairly and he'll do his best to solve their problems. I would have no hesitation in hiring AFS.

@PissedConsumer343410

I also worked with him. He is a paranoid liar with a 10th grade education and it is very obvious.

He steals from his salesmen on a monthly basis. He owes me $1000's in commissions that will have to be dealt with legally at this point. They are forced to wait 3-6 months to be paid. They look for ways not to pay employees.

He stated publicly that his answer to problems is to "take it from the salesmen". Lied about a Christmas bonus for months! Extremely high turnover in sales, install crews, and management. Down to retirees and very young people with no experience.

Mostly family running things from some strange cult like religious mindset. I don't think they celebrate Christmas or any holidays or birthdays.

Very "wierd" people and wierd company. Stay away!

i have a problem when a big rain comes my basement floods,i would like some one to fix this problem ,but if olshan,which has bad reviews and afs,which apparently doesnt stand behind their work,then who is their that knows how to repair this problem professionally,with a warranty on their work,im not going to spend all that money to be had,please notify of suggestions

@PissedConsumer339858

Crawlspace Solutions. 256-436-****

I own Aalabama foundation Specialists and am very disturbed to here about your problem please call me at 256-774-**** and I will make sure you taken care of.

View more comments (7)
Montgomery, Alabama
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article