Dr. Hai-En Peng - Excessive X-Rays for Minor Sprain

I took my 14 year old son to visit Dr. Hai-En Peng at his Advanced Foot and Ankle Medical Center located in Thousand Oaks, California July of 2012. My son had avery minor ankle sprain and I was seeking exercise ideas to help strengthen his ankle. My son had previously seen a pediatrician who told me the sprain was so minor he didn't need X-rays but did think seeing someone who knew exercise tips would be beneficial. I went to see Dr. Peng. Dr. Peng insisted my son needed an X-ray just to make certain there wasn't any hairline fracture. I figured one X-ray view just to be safe would be O.K. Dr. Peng took 8 different views. When I questioned Dr. Peng, he became nervous and told me he took multiple views of every ankle sprain no matter how minor. When I got home I spoke with 2 doctors that I know. One is my brother who is an internal doctor, the other a friend who is a podiatrist. They both were shocked and said since 3 views is standard, they could not understand why any doctor would take so many. When I told them my son could bare weight on the ankle and there was only minor swelling, both doctors were even more surprised. I took my son just 2 days later to a physical therapist to get those exercise tips and she just shook her head and told me she didn't think he needed one let alone 8. I called my insurance company and reported it as insurance fraud. Dr. Peng had the x-ray equipment in his facility and I have read online doctors are much more apt to take x-rays if they have office equipment. When I emailed Dr. Peng and questioned him about so many views, his story changed about giving multiple views to all sprains. I question any doctor who changes their story. I would never return to this facility.
ID
Newbury Park, California

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article