Allied (Ace Moving & Storage Des Moines Stole

Synopsis: Horrible experience, tried to rack up lots of additional fees for packing, but had a maximum price guarantee. Packers found out about guarantee, and they started dumping items in boxes, and we have our wedding silver and coins from a finished collection missing. Chaotic, unprofessional, disgruntled, and inexperienced in actually moving. Did not request that we check items off, but because we signed paperwork (our bad - we should have slowed down the move and checked things off) they say we have no claim. Would NEVER use them again, I certainly hope my contacting the police, BBB, Angies' list helps make sure that no one ever deals with them again. Details: July 30th - 2 packers the first day, a third came to help on the second day. The packers split up around the house working on different areas. Although I did float around the packers trying to double check, I also had to leave the premises on the second day for about an hour. The packers commented on how many more boxes there were than were quoted, and it was going to wind up being a lot more than the estimator thought. They then commented on how they get paid a percentage of the total amount. I told them I had a maximum price quoted, and they told me it was not on the paperwork. I produced the email for the main office detailing that it was a maximum price. Items packed before they knew this were over packed, i.e. numerous boxes with one item wrapped in 10-15 sheets of paper. (One such item was a cast!) After they knew they would not be getting more money, items were merely dumped in boxes with one sheet of paper on top (i.e. all the nails/screws in the garage, drawers from the office combined and dumped etc.) Again, with three packers in the house, it was very difficult to supervise. One of the packers commented about a file cabinet that I needed to donate, and claimed that she had a friend who worked in a thrift store if I wanted her to take it in. I agreed, because we needed it to not be put on the truck. The packers got it loaded onto their truck themselves, and left quickly for the end of the day. They sped through the paperwork, (the moving companies indicate that you are supposed to check off each number and box, and the items the packers place in them, although that would slow the process down by several days, and the packers by splitting up guarantee that unless you have one adult assigned to watch each packer, there is no way to guarantee what is in the boxes. Several of our boxes in the basement storage (already packed in tubs by us) were opened, and repacked to "make sure they were done right". One box contained my sons' coin collection (which he and my father-in-law finished the week before my father-in-law died). There are now several missing coins, 6 Peace silver dollars, and 3 Eisenhower silver dollars. The movers were scheduled for 8:00 am on that Thursday (Aug. 2). They showed up late, with a crew of movers who were all new to the job (within a month of being hired). The driver had wanted to quit that morning, and we heard a lot about how ACE doesn't pay well, sometimes they don't pay on time, they can't get raises, etc. There was no one clear person in charge. All the movers just started grabbing things and taking them out. They didn't put down floor protection, they didn't use pads on most of the items and many of our walls got damaged. One worker pinched his hand, and left blood smears on the walls. Because so many of them had questions that we needed to answer throughout the house, we did not stand and check off the number of the boxes (nor were we asked to, or was it suggested). The truck was subsequently not loaded well or organized. It was chaotic. My husband and I wound up helping them move furniture, because they were unable to work together to get it done. The movers were there until 9:45 at night, and did not get all of it on the truck. Because our closing was at 9:00 in the morning in Omaha, we stayed until nearly 11:30 trying to clean up some of the damage. The unloading crew in Omaha was much better (but they do not work for Ace Moving and Storage). But they were astounded at the way the truck was loaded, and they made no suggestions or requests to have us check things off as they came off the truck. There were multiple movers taking items off the truck and entering at different points of the house. Again, if we had tried to slow them down to check, they would have needed several more days. Within 10 days, we had every box opened, unpacked and materials out to the curb. In the course of our unpacking, we discovered at least one box missing (they claim we must have it because we signed off on it). It coincidently contains our wedding silver and numerous other items. We also discovered the missing coins. Ace did hire someone to fix the damage to the house, but told us for a claim we would need to file with allied corporate. They claim since we signed off, we can't prove that they are responsible. We believe the packers opened the coins and pocketed some out of the book, and grabbed the box containing the silverware. Our next course of action is to file a police report, and the Better Business Bureau, Angie's List, Yelp, and any other reviews we can to let other people know how truly horrible this experience was.
ID
Omaha, Nebraska
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article