Rick C Hdb

Verified Reviewer
| map-marker Clackamas, Oregon

Charged me $275 for a $24.00 part plus a $169 service call

A TEMP Heating Cooling and Electrical - Charged me $275 for a $24.00 part plus a $169 service call

A $200 job for $444.. Great!

My gas furnace stopped working so I called around and found A-Temp.

I've seen their name around town and they told me they worked Saturdays for no extra charge. Tony was sent out and seemed very competent and was on time with good advance communication. After about 10 minutes Tony found the problem and it was an ignitor switch. He said it would be $275 for the part and that was after $169 service call for a total of $444.

I thought the part was expensive for what it was but not knowing much about gas furnaces I authorized the repair knowing I would also be charged $169 no matter what. I promptly looked up the price of an ignitor switch for my furnace and the average repair costs to have this problem fixed by a professional. To my unhappy surprise I found that the ignitor switch retailed for $24 (Amazon) and the total costs for having someone to replace it ranged from $100 to $275. Tony got very defensive when I brought this up to him.

I was taken advantage of for this overpriced ½ hour repair, if that.

I can't afford to throw my money away. I understand mark up and profit but if this is their business model I will never recommend this company because I think they take full advantage of unknowing customers. I suspect they hope their customers are so ignorant that they wont notice they are being overcharged. (I hate to say that I was) If A-Temp was smart they could see my gas furnace was 21 years old (like everyone else in my neighborhood) and it was matter of time that I will need to replace it.

But immediate greed and company culture overruled sound ethical smart business practices, in my opinion. Oh, the part has 2 mounting screws and a plug to remove and replace. A 10 minute job with a $24 part.

Dont invite these people in your home and throw your money away. Im sure there are more ethical HVAC repair companies out there.

Duralight Furnace Ignitor Direct Replacement For Rheem Ruud Weatherking OEM Part 62-228**-**

Brand: DURALIGHT

4.7 out of 5 stars 1,712 ratings

Amazon'sChoicefor "furnace ignitor"

________________________________________

Price:$23.95$23.95 One-Day & FREE Returns Duralight Two Year Replacement WarrantyMade In USAExact Fit with No Adapters or Wiring Changes RequiredDirect Replacement Part For Most Rheem, Ruud, & Weatherking Furnaces With Hot Surface Ignitors - Will Not Fit "Drum" Heat Exchanger Type FurnacesReplaces Part Numbers 62-224**-**, 62-225**-**, 62-228**-**, 62-228**-**, 62-228**-**, 62-228**-**, 62-228**-**S, 62-228**-**, 62-234**-**, and 8553-****

S

Loss:
Pros:
  • Nice over the phone
Cons:
  • Thousand percent mark up

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Stay away

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article