Rip off!

Shawn was extremely rude to my aunt. Charged her thousands of dollars to fix her chimney and put in a used wood stove and demanded payment in advance. Their charges included $650 for "labor", which included them bringing out a used wood-burning insert and lifting it into the fireplace. They promised to raise the level of her chimney 4 feet above the peek with stove pipe, and this was not done. They didn't show up for 4 appointments, didn't call, and cursed her out for complaining. She is now afraid to call him again and has paid someone else to do the work! Work still not complete 4 months after payment!

I will address this for you one by one, first we do not sell used wood stoves for anything more then patio heaters if the stove looked used that would be the contractors fault who was remodeling the inside of the house at the same time we tried to do a install. We do not just lift the stove into a fireplace, There is much more to a install then setting a stove in a fireplace if it was that simple then i am sure you would have been able to tackle the job yourself to start with.

Raising a chimney was never discussed she was told we would pour a crown which we did and completed. She had a contractor working on the house at the same time as we were, we made over 4 attempts to finish and the contractor was not ready or she flat out was not home. She came to the store and yelled and cussed at Shawn out front in front of witnesses at which point he asked her to leave and told her that she was not allowed to cuss at him simply because she was angry...She apologized and then had a conversation with Shawn in front of the witnesses and said that she would call us back when the contractor finished up.

She never called. The work we agreed upon was completed she wanted us to mount some transfer fans after the contractor finished up which we did not do, nor did she pay for as she never called us again.

A Better Chimney cleaned my wood burning stove and did a decent job. I'm of German ancestry.

However, I got some bad news from a Spanish speaking friend. I learned that this business doesn't like Hispanics and is rude to them.

This friend isn't the only one who told me that. It's something people of Hispanic descent need to know.

@PissedConsumer1579839

This is a total fabrication aimed at spreading hate and discontent, Anyone who knows us friends, family, and customers know that this is a lie. As far as our records indicate we did not even service a wood stove with a week before this add and a week after, The date this reply was posted on this website is a Saturday and we do not do service calls for cleanings or repairs on Saturday.

Wow my pellet stove broke in jan of 2016 and shawn has promised appointments and sent his wife out once.they said they have no priorities for parts we are 2017 and stove is still broke and parts have been paid for.we get promised call backs and no call backs.excuse after excuse.

View more comments (3)
Service
A Better Chimney Customer Care
Reason of review
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

What a way to run a business!

While the service and maintenance on my stove was eventually completed, the process took nearly six weeks. The delay was due entirely to the company owner/serviceperson's repeated promises to return my calls ("I'll call you back in 15 minutes to schedule an appointment") were ignored. Promised return calls were never returned on at least three occasions; at least a dozen subsequent phone calls by me to the company's staff were required over the course of the time it took the company to complete the job. On more than one of these phone calls, it appeared that the company staff itself was unable to reach the owner despite his stated appointment schedule (i.e., AWOL). The only time when the owner did express an interest in pursuing the repair job was via a last-minute call on a day, stated previously to the owner, when I was unavailable. Due to the owner's forgetfulness (which he himself admitted), I was nevertheless bumped from the job ***, with no apology offered. After a month of repeated calls on my part were ignored, it required an ultimatum from me ("please let me know if you wish to pursue the completion of this job, or else I'll seek another service") before action was taken by the owner. Finally, the cost of replacing an electrical unit in the stove suddenly jumped substantially from the price quoted by the owner on the previous day's service visit. ("My mistake," claimed the owner; forgetfulness appears to be a common trait with him.) This company appears to believe that the few establishments who do this type of service in the Silver City area guarantees a market for their business. But despite the good work performed by the several technicians who visited over the course of four visits to complete the job, the company owner's irresponsibility, unprofessional behavior and entire lack of courtesy towards clients have convinced me to seek from now on the services of any of the other companies in the area that perform the same work. I would advise anyone reading this review to do the same if you wish your service to be completed in a timely and courteous manner.

I do not know where to begin on this review, First we went to this customers house and discovered the stove was not piped correctly, We informed him of this and he said he would like it re piped in the middle of winter during our busy season, We explained to him that we had a very booked schedule and would do out best to fit him in which he said he understood, We did try and get out to install his pipe on a number of different occasion with no luck, The owner of the company did finally get a time nailed down and did the install himself (I am not sure what he is talking about smoking as the owner does not smoke and Never has) During the install the customer tried numerous times to follow our employees up the ladder (almost falling off) to see what we are doing up there. This customer was never "Bumped" as he put it he was never scheduled because of his schedule conflicting with ours and he was on a fit in basis with our company which he agreed to.

After installation of his pipe he complained his stove was not working correctly We sent out two technicians who discovered his stoves control board was not working correctly, He complained we did not find it to begin with and was explained that we could not find it before the re pipe as the stove was piped so dangerously that before the re pipe when we started the stove to test it it smoked out his house. He said he understood and was quoted two separate prices for the control board a brand new price and a used price he opted for the new board but when the technician went out to install he flipped out and said that was too much to which we responded with that is the price unless you want used.

He said after considering it, used was the way he wanted to go we installed the board and left. He left the review full of fabrications and also using a false name and claimed he would never use us again.....He was in the store a few months later to buy pellets when he was asked about the lies in the review he said that he did not post it that his brother did and he would remove the review because he still uses us.

Reason of review
Poor customer service

Stay away!

I called to have my pellet burner looked at/ repaired. The first service call was cancelled by them. They were late for the second one. We were advised that the exhaust motor, the room blower and auto ignition needed replaced, it would have to be pulled from our home and taken to their shop for the repairs which would cost $1000. or they could sell me one of theirs for $4000. installed. After they left, on our custom painted wall above our pellet burner were huge black smudges left by the "service people". I had thoroughly cleaned our stove and vent pipe at seasons end, the "service people" arrived and entered our home heavily soiled, highly unprofessional. I called the manufacturer of our stove and was told "They (a better chimney) don't know what they're talking about." Their tech diagnosed the problem over the phone, a $25. part! I am grateful that we are only out the "service call" fee since they did show up but certainly am offended that they tried to get a large amount of money from us and all the others that have had a similar experience.

Warranty Work

purchased an Enviro pellet stove from A Better Chimney Silver City,N.M. and have problems from the beginning. This lousy business has failed to fix the stove by making worthless service calls, never on the appointment dates promised. When questioned why the stove can't be fixed and want something done they threw me out of business and threatened me. A customer I know bought a ton of pellets with a promise to deliver to, never delivered, went to store to complain and told them to load pellets into a truck he brought, they threw pellets in truck, breaking bags and even threw bags onto the roof of truck, denting the roof causing property damage. I was warned they had terrible customer service but purchased anyway, but beware they will cheat you, lie to you and won't backup warranty work

As far as the pellet customer complaint we at a better chimney do not load pellets by hand we have a forklift that we load all of our customers tons of pellets with

We at a better chimney took the service tech from Enviro out this customers house to check out this stove. After spending almost the entire day with this stove the service tech confirmed what we had already said that it was user error and the stove is and was working fine at the time of our service call

View more comments (1)
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article