• show-popup

Location Rome, Georgia
Category Appliances and Electronics
Views 152
Monetary Loss

I hate this refrigerator.I bought Whirlpool Gold because I was willing to pay for dependability.

It has leaked water into my floor since it was 6 months old. The repairmen keep "fixing" it. And a week later it leaks again. It is out of warranty now, so now I have to pay for the repairmen to come out.

I am sick of this issue. My old refrigerator never gave me a minutes problem.

All of the appliances in my kitchen are Whirlpool.This bottom freezer technology in my opinion has not gotten all the kinks worked out or I would not be thinking of replacing a refrigerator that is only 16 months old. 3069015

Comments (17) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Feb 26  from St. Augustine, Florida
Have the repairs for the Whirlpool Gold refrigerators that leak made progress with a permanent repair?
Reply to Brian

Dec 22, 2013  from Atascadero, California
My whirlpool gold , beautiful stainless steel fridge has had to have the circuit board replaced , and ice builds up in freezer and leaks on the floor , I have to take everything out of freezer and fridge put in ice chests unplug the fridge every two weeks , to melt ice . I spent $ 1,800 on this fridge , I think you should recall it or repair it .
Reply to Rebecca

Aug 12, 2013
Our Whirlpool Bottom Freezer is barely 7 months old, we wake every morning to water all over the floor, several times slipping on the floor, wet mess, washing bath towels daily to keep up with the constant leaking. We saved money, hard earned money to treat us to a new larger family fridge. Sales man said it was the best. Now its a constant fight to keep the water away from our Cherry custom made cupboards. I trusted this company and the strong history they had, So disappointed- purchased in Lowes- Webster NY Kimberly Ortiz 315-576-1245
Reply to kay

Jul 23, 2013
SAME ISSUE HERE... mine started a month after the warranty expired.. Very upset i got rid of a perfectly fine 10 year old fridge to get a new and improved one, the best rated according to Consumer Reports, only to have my hardwood floors ruined by the leaking and no matter what we do to repair the ice keeps coming back.
Reply to Justin

Jul 20, 2013
We had the same problem with our Whirlpool Gold refrigerator in about the same time period. Will never buy Whirlpool again!!! Tired of this.
Reply to no more whirlpools

Jul 18, 2013  from Germantown, Maryland
HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AFTER I HAD THE FRIDGE 13 MONTHS. PAID A REPAIR MAN $160 ONLY FOR THE PROBLEM TO RESURFACE 4 MONTHS LATER! TERRIBLE BUY!
Reply to NEVER BUYING WHIRLPOOL AGAIN

Jul 10, 2013  from Carolina Beach, North Carolina
I have the same problem on a Whirlpool Gold that was delivered in December of 2011. I wrote to them and they said they were unaware of the issue (yeah, right!).

So many comments like this are on the web, how is it that no government agency has been brought in to help us?
Reply to Anonymous

Jul 03, 2013  from Rockford, Illinois
We bought Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator 7 months ago and had the same issue with ice build up in bottom freezer and water leaking on the floor. I will not buy Whirlpool product especially refrigerator. They should recall this product or warn the customer.
Reply to May Chen

Jun 05, 2013  from Ontario, California
have a fridge 1 1/2 years old...had a repair man fix it. He changed the COMPUTER BOARD where you set the temp. He says he changes several a week and the new and improved chips are better and should fix the problem. the old chips don't send a message to stop the defrost cycle at regular intervals. he says WP has know this problem for several years! so far so good the ice and water leaking out is gone! Part cost $175 canadian and $90 service charge. took about 1/2 hour. hope this helps someone!
Reply to mom

Mar 20, 2013  from Little Rock, Arkansas
Just wrote an $800 check to a water removal company because my Whirlpool Gold refrigerator leaked water out the back, under the wall and cabinets and into the carpeted bedroom hallway on the other side of the wall. It's bad enough that this refrigerator is a piece of junk and that repeated repairs are needed to keep it functioning, but when it starts destroying my new home then that is another issue! If you buy this refrigerator be prepared for water leaks. I recommend you line the refrigerator cavity in your cabinets with heavy plastic to insure when it leaks (when, not if!) then you will know about it before it destroys your house. Repairman sees the same problem over and over. Shame on you, Whirlpool. Your products are a hazard.
Reply to Ahfly

Apr 21, 2012
I have had the same issue with ice build up and water leaking on the floor with the Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator in a similar time period. I have defrosted and cleaned the drain multiple times and the problem keeps coming back. Whirlpool customer service is awful! Acting like they are trying to minimize the damage and exposure of an obvious design flaw.
Reply to Daniel Bourgeis

Mar 30, 2012
Hello Poedga. My name is Melanie and I am a representative of Whirlpool. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the site you were contacted on, your user ID name, your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to Whirlpool.Digital@whirlpool.com. We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.
Reply to WP2008

Feb 18, 2013  from Warrendale, Pennsylvania
I have had the same issue. There WP refrigerators have to be one of the most unreliable products. We are very frustrated and wish there was a recall or user advisory. Not only does it constantly leak, the freezer light will not function either, even with new bulb. I believe this to be a saftey hazard
Reply to Bmccaslin

Sep 17, 2013  from Heartwell, Nebraska
I feel your pain. The quality reps at Whirlpool should all take notice. There are numerous highly dis-satisfied consumers. The response you get is oh well its out of warranty, tough luck.
Their failure to acknowledge any quality issue is a slap in the face. Maybe it time to scratch any whirlpool product off the buying list.
Reply to Irate consumer

Feb 20, 2013
Hello. We have the similar issue with our WP Gold referigerator, bought in Oct 2010. In last 2 weeks we had to remove the ice build up twice from the bottom. Don't know what to do next. We have bought quite a few WP appliances and this sets of an alarm for us. Any suggesstions ?.
Reply to kamranarshad007

Jul 19, 2013  from Syracuse, New York
Melanie,
I have the exact same issue with my Whirlpool bottom freezer fridge. twice a week I have to scrape ice off the bottom or it leaks out all over my kitchen floors. I am a 60 year old widow raising two grandchildren. This is horrible and I'd like to know why there was never a recall on this item?
Reply to jigs

Aug 12, 2013
I demand a replacement, this is a total joke! Kay- 315-576-1245
Reply to kay

Read next Whirlpool complaint

LOW Quality StainLESS Steel Appliances

I have a Dishwasher and a Kitchen from Whirlpool, both 2011 Both supposed to be Stainless Steel app...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Whirlpool.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug