• show-popup

Category Cash Services
Views 567
Monetary Loss

Update added by user Oct 13, 2012
Update; I am now using another company to send money.

Original review posted by user Sep 12, 2012

I have been trying to send money for a 7 days. Every month I send money to a family member in Jamaica using Western Union. (She's 65 & needs the money for FOOD) This month both times I sent online I recieved a confirmation screen with MTCN # & when the person tried to pick it up it was denied. I spent countless hours on the phone for 3 days trying to no avail, to straighten this out.
As a last resort I went to my grocery store to send money last night. Today I get a call saying she still cannot get them to give her the money. At last count I sent 400$ twice & 150$ last night, plus 60+$ in charges. This company is outrageous! Costumer service is the worst I have EVER had to deal with!
(I tricked them & sent the money to a different person & she recieved the money through her friend.)
I don't know what they are doing about fraud, but clearly it is unsucessful. But they are very sucessfull at blocking legit. money transfers! Shame on them, someone went hungry because of their stupidity!
I will find other methods to send money in the future & am contacting a lawyer! I WILL GET ALL MY MONEY BACK! This co. is on the fast track to FALIURE! 306fc7e

Comments (12) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Jan 15
I agree they put a block on my account andcthe most I ever sent was $100 about a month ago now all I wanted to send was $60-$70.00 .Wake up u Idiots, Im a citzen of the USA , not everyone who needs to send money is sending it for Drugs or Lottery!
Reply to Erica Williams

Sep 27, 2013
i have experience that about 4times from different person its so upsetting and they are not giving the person any valid reason why its has been return to sender and when i track it online it say available to pick up by receiver it was a good service to use but these days it better to used JN Money transfer or Moneygram
Reply to nicky

Aug 22, 2013  from Mumbai, Maharashtra
WU are thieves. they are very good at blocking money. also, blocked money disappears as they flag is as picked up in system. so no one can get it back. they are the biggest frauds. BEWARE.
Reply to JAMES

Jun 06, 2013  from Aventura, Florida
Same experience here, tried unsuccessfully to send money for 7 days. Wasted countless hours with clueless customer service. I used the WUPay option, which is very secure since you don't have to disclose any financial info to them. Still, recipient was refused the payout, in spite of emails and customer service saying that the transaction was approved and money was available. Then it takes them 1.5 weeks or more to refund the money. I tried to send the money with a local agent, but in addition to my drivers license, also wanted my SSN. yeah right, now way. So pissed, hope this company goes down in flames someday.
Reply to Boycott Western Union

Jun 01, 2013  from Moline, Illinois
This company sucks! Don't use them. The last 2 times I sent money, they put a hold on it with no explanation as to why the hold was put on it. When I called to find out what was going on, they asked me for all sorts of personal information, made me fax in documents showing where the money was going, etc. Looking back, I should have just told them forget it and just get a refund. Once I was through that ordeal which took 2-3 days, the hold was just released. They never contacted me, it just got released. This was after leaving like 4 messages on their compliance department's voice mail (they never pick up and they don't call you back). So, I thought at least it was all taken care of. Shouldn't happen again because of all the information I gave them. Well, sent another transfer and the receiver couldn't pick it up. They said WU put a hold on it. I called (again voice mail), never received a call back. Called main customer service number and they said the money was available. So, the receiver has to waste time going back again to pick up, I had to spend all sorts of time on the phone, etc. This company is ***. Don't use them. MoneyGram was a little more expensive, but seemed to be more customer-conscious and competent. There are only 2 companies that have really pissed me off over my lifetime - AT&T and Western Union. If enough people just stop using their services, maybe they will learn a lesson.
Reply to Angy

Feb 04, 2013  from Dallas, Texas
I've tried 3 transfers, all get refunded back to me with no reason. I called their awful customer service and went 3 levels up and got an e-mail address to get and answer to the issue. Mailing them now.

Might be worth checking out.
wuamlcompliance@westernunion.com
Reply to Matt

Dec 14, 2012
I have been experiencing the same problem with sending money to Jamaica recently. I have been using their services for years with no problems. Twice this week I received Approval and the MTCN numbers for the transfer, however, each time the recipient never received the money. It is pointless trying to get an explanation from them. I was trying to help a friend who was kind to me in Jamaica when I lived, the person has fallen on hard times. Very unfortunate situation.
Reply to RECENT PROBLEMS WITH WU MONEY

Nov 16, 2012
I was sending money to my husband and daughter who were stranded over seas after a robbery and they blocked the transactions because of where they were located. because of them my husband and daughter suffered and my husband ended up in jail in a foreign land with my daughter being taken care of by one of his co-workers whom i've never met. the only thing that saved my husband was my daughter being there because the court had mercy on him. :?
Reply to angrymomof2

Nov 09, 2012
Free knolwdege like this doesn't just help, it promote democracy. Thank you.
Reply to Tike

Sep 17, 2012
my mom as been sending me money via western union for years now and now they are telling me the money is being sent back and cant give an explanation. To day my my cousin in canada sent money for my grandmother they are saying i am unable to receive any transfer. And this is happening to alot of people and i notice its only persons between 18-40 yrs old. But the real scammers can still get their money because their friends work in the office. Congrats WU way to put in security measures for the worst now customers who being using this service for years now will go else where
Reply to dowayne

Jan 15, 2013
I have been having the same problem. I am in Jamaica too, and tried getting a payment from a friend before Xmas. Called in the morning to verify that it was available for pick up, said yes, so went to location, long line, just to be told that it couldn't be paid out. Called Kingston, supervisor said she sees it available, to go back straight to the window and ask the lady to pay it out. Well, was told the same thing. Got frustrated, and called Supervisor again who said to go back, and that the payment was there. Well, was taken out of the line, waited 30 minutes for the agent to get a call back from her supervisor, just to be told it had been sent to the sender ... Friend called WU overseas and was told that Jamaica refused the payment, as it looked like a fraud ... When I called Kingston, they said they didn't know what happened and that it was done from overseas ... + W.U. gave me an International number to call 1-800-325-6000 and which happens to be fraud ... just looked online and read over 50 posts saying it is a number used to scam people, so who is robbing who ????????????????? As off today, W.U. is on MY own scamming list and will never had ANYONE use it again to send me any other further payment.
Reply to Just ridiculous

May 11, 2013  from Brampton, Ontario
western union don't have a clue what security is, they are blocking legitimate customer who has been with them for years without even looking at the history of both party.my 76 years old father-in-law who has been receiving money from us for more than 15 years as becomes a fraud suspect without any explanation from western union don't even bother talking to anybody on the phone you wont get anywhere. I am trying use other ways of doing my money transfer.
Reply to big man

Read next Western Union complaint

Worst cust serevice ever

On aug 21st I overnighted a stop payment on a money order the company went out of buisines and it...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Western Union.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug