• show-popup

Company Walgreens
Location Warwick, New York
Category Drug Stores and Drugs
Views 138

Today, 8/21/2010, I went to my nearest Walgreens located at 755 Broadway, Brooklyn, NY 11206, to return a lipstick in which I was overcharged and buy a few household items.Since it was raining I was wearing a sweater to cover my hair.

Throughout my shopping at the store I was followed by employees and the security guard, making me very uncomfortable. I finally decided I was not going to give my money to this store and decided to return the lipstck. While at the register the manager asked the clerk where is the "code 5", and the clerk replied, "it's ok, it's her here" meaning that they didn't need to follow me anymore since I was already leaving I guess. Since I was returning an item, the manager had to conduct the transaction, I was so mad that I asked him "so just because someone is wearing a sweater means they're going to steal something?" and he just smirked at me!!

Such disrespect. This trip to the store humiliated me, I actually left crying and shaking! I'm a college graduate and in no way do I act or dress like a thief! The manager didn't even apologize for humiliating me.

Once home I called the store because the manager's name was not on the receipt and whoever answered gave me a hard time, asking me why I wanted the manager's name. Afterwards, he finally relented and told me the manager on shift was Mr.

Swanzi.What was so hard about giving me the manager's name? 2ed898e

Comments (12) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Oct 28, 2013
At Walgreens if they have a security concern they literally say. "Security walk the floor". I highly doubt you were suspected of stealing however. If you were it is not the wrongdoing of the company. They have an obligation to protect the company assets in trusted in them including merchandise and employees.
Reply to Pierce

Sep 19, 2013
code 5 in Walgreen that I used to work means some good looking person in the store and check that person out. lol and i'm serious.
Reply to summer

Jul 19, 2012
Well you have stolen before so they are discriminating against you because of your past behaviour.
Reply to Jedi Knight Ethan

Jul 19, 2012
i hate shoping at walgreens its always a last resort,and a racist experience.
their service stinks,their slow at checkout and their focused on watching the black customers even when they are black. trained dogs tend to be loyal that way.
Reply to t cup

Sep 13, 2011
Did you come in with a bag in your hand and then proceed to walk around, shopping? That is consistent with a lot of shoplifters. You should have asked for the refund first, and then done your shopping. Nothing you said indicates with any certainty that the store employees did suspect you were shoplifting. However, if they did, it is probably because you handled this poorly. You should look at it from another's perspective: If you ran the store, would you be suspicious of someone under similar circumstances? If you answer yes to that question, you owe that manager an apology.
Reply to Other circumstances

Jun 24, 2011
In the walgreens store i work at, a code 5 means that theres a customer whos either returning or exchaning an item so i highly doubt that they were watching to see if u were stealing something. I hate customers who think one way about something but dont know the whole truth
Reply to Cran

May 18, 2011
all stores have different codes! ive worked at atleast 8 different walgreens filling in and such and non of them had a code for theft! the codes go as follows one for returs, transaction voids, post voids (cash purchases), exchange, backdoor (vendor), ic3 meaning theres 3+ ppl in any given line and that register needs help checking people out each store has different codes for each like code 45 we say service (#) instead of code but either way the manager nos what they need to do! hope that makes u feel a little more comfortable
Reply to employee

Sep 06, 2010  from Holmestrand, Vestfold
An employee at Walgreens just told you what a code 5 is. Maybe you are suspicious because you actually have stolen before? Whether you stole two years ago or five years ago or the day before they don't care you are a high risk to them.
Reply to paranoid much

Sep 05, 2010
Honestly, I don't know the system up in New York, but I work in a store elsewhere in the States. At my store, a Code 5 is a Vendor that needs let into our Stockroom, and a return is a Code 50. I was trained to call a manager anytime we suspect a customer of stealing something, then, they must keep a visual contact of you until you are out of the store. Obviously you don't sound like someone who would steal, but at the same time, we can't possibly know who everyone is, or how solid their morals are. On the other hand, the employee had no right to try and withhold the manager's name. There is a certain amount of respect in the customer/employee relationship that one has to give, and it was definitely broken there.
Reply to Anonymous

Aug 22, 2010  from Holmestrand, Vestfold
Okay maybe racism is the wrong word and I apologize if used the wrong word. However I know what a code 5 is since I used to work there and a code 5 means to watch out for a suspicious person in the fifth aisle. They are profiling me because a few years ago when I was 17. Two years ago I was caught stealing merchandise and was fired for it. They are discriminating against me because I stole from them when I was in high school. I am in college now and would never steal. I cried becausee they can't forget my past which was a whold two years ago. I am older now and ahve changed.
Reply to Catiana14

Aug 22, 2010  from Holmestrand, Vestfold
There was no racism. Racism would be if they followed you around because of the color of your skin, or your background. They followed you around and discriminated against you because of how you dress. Yet you make a discriminating comment such as "I don't look or dress like a thief" which means just like they do you have your own exceptations of what a thief looks like and how one dresses. Funny isn' it that when it is them doing this it is discriminating but you make a lamebrain commment such as I don't dress like a thief when the issue is you feel that you are discriminated against because you were wearing a sweater. So what does a thief wear you tell me. If thieves don't wear sweaters what do they wear? How do they dress?
Reply to agree

Aug 22, 2010  from Holmestrand, Vestfold
So how is a thief supposed to dress. Funny how you say they are discriminating against you when you are the one discriminating. You say you don't dress and act like a thief, well you do, and so do I, and so does every other shopper the sales people and even the manager. There is no way a thief dresses or acts. They act the same way you do, the same way I do, the same way the manager does. They also dress the same way we do, or different from us. But you can't judge someone as a thief based on what they are wearing. Even college graduates steal. Also where does race have anything to do with this? Then you wanted the manager's name. It is not you personally they are after. I think you are just paranoid, and the fact that you say that you dont dress and act like a thief(when you claim you were discriminated against based on what you were wearing) makes you a hypocrite. Why should they have to give you the managers name? Grow up.
Reply to you are a hyprocrite

Read next Walgreens complaint

Walgreens shorted me on MEDS!

I'm on a medication called buprenorphine. It is prescribed to me and helps control cravings for...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Walgreens.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug