• show-popup

Company USPS
Location Cambridge, Massachusetts
Category Post
Views 2321

I had a package shipped to be on 11/8, standard shipping, and got a tracking number. All tracking tells me is that it was shipped on the 8th, and that the LATEST expected date of delivery is 11/17 (OR!!!) 11/28. I get two different "delivered by" dates when I track.

I then signed up to get tracking updates via email and selected the "new" information option versus "existing". What did I get? An email telling me that the package was shipped on 11/8. (In the past, I've been notified of a delivery having occurred, 2 or 3 days AFTER the delivery happened.)

I called USPS, asked about the confusing delivery dates, and was asked, "What is it you want?" I then emailed a complaint and got, 3 days later, a generic response from a company that the USPS contracts to handle complaints, which didn't even contain the information that I put in the online form. "Hi! I'm Jennifer! I note your complaint, how may I help you?"

That the USPS can't track packages like UPS does, or at the very least, have a system that doesn't say "will arrive in nine days max, or maybe 20 days max..." is mind boggling. That it is losing business makes SENSE given the frustrating silliness that customers have to put up with. 302fc21

Comments (59) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 59 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Apr 17
USPS is an absolute joke. I paid extra for next day delivery from Amazon, which was shipped by Amazon accordingly. I am now going on day 3 of my package being late. I used the "tracking" system which told me that my package was at my local post office. Going there I was told that it hadn't been processed yet and I should expect delivery Monday. So basically I paid to wait for a week for something I should have gotten in one day. I'm going to stop shopping at Amazon as long as their primary carrier for my area is USPS.

Jan 17  from Lincoln, Nebraska
:( USPS Priority mail is an out and out fraud. There is no guarantee of delivery. They advertise 2 to 3 days, however they give themselves 5 days before one can file a complaint about lack of delivery. It travels with $0.46 first class mail. I think a law suit should be filed against the USPS for fraud.
The tracking they provide is absolutely worthless. I mailed a package on January 14 from Milford, NE to Naples, NC using priority mail. Today is January 17 and the last tracking indicated the package was processed through at their Charlotte, NC facility at 2:33 am on January 16 and that it departed this sort facility on the 16. The latest information now shows it was again processed through this facility at 10:47 pm on the 16th and departed and again processed through this facility at 11:42 pm and departed this facility on the 16th. If I understand this correctly it has been processed three different times on the same day in the same facility and departed this same facility three times. It still has not been delivered as of 4:20 pm in Naples today the 17th.
I will now use only UPS or FedEx because they can and do DELIVER!
Reply to super-pissed

Jan 16
i sent a certified letter on dec. 20 2013 has of jan 16 2014 letter was never recived
Reply to drjoe70

Jan 15
USPS IS A JOKE. THEY CHANGE THE DELIVERY DATE WHEN THEY WANT. THEY TARE YOUR PACKAGE UP AND THEN ASK IF YOU PURCHASED INSURANCE ON YOUR PACKAGE! NOT WHEN THE SENDER WAS SOMEONE ELSE! I SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE SOMEONE PAY! YOU GET PAID TO DO A JOB, THAT MEANS YOU GET PAID TO TAKE CARE OF MY MAIL! IDIOTS!
Reply to feduppostal

Dec 08, 2013  from Danville, California
I work for the post office and let me tell you people out there,We Suck.I sent in my retirement papers paid my fee in order to get to NC from SF bay area.They say about 2-3 days Damm it's been 10 days,this tracking number stuff is all horseshit,should have sent it UPS or Fed X.
Reply to Slappy

Oct 24, 2013
I live in NJ and was expecting a package I could track but my item was shipped to Pasadena California and the status reads Delivered.I contacted USPS and 24 hours later got a email pretty much tellng me to contact the seller cause I didn't get my item.They should be able to go back where they left my item and send it to me but they wont.
Reply to Mike

Sep 30, 2013
I sent myself a package before I left LA to go home to NY. It was just some clothes and small personal possessions that didn't fit in my suitcase after buying a few items. I shipped it 3 days before I was to leave so it would arrive the same day or the day after. Well, long story short I track my package North to Portland, then South East to Georgia and then North East to Connecticut and then it sits 3 days in New York before it arrives at my front door with holes in the box and my dress shirt hanging our of a hole with packing tape over it. I couldn't help but laugh when I picked up the package from my doorman 9 business days after I shipped it. I usually Fedex a box of stuff to myself when i go home to NY from LA by ground it takes no more than 4-5 days via Fedex and its not that much cheaper.
Reply to J01

Sep 05, 2013
Iordered two 1st class packages from these guys (usps) from eBay. holding a card in both. i live in michigan and it took one of them 6 days to get here from Washington ( a BFE city in Washington) but the other package was coming from Missouri (not that far away) and it took that package 9 days with barely any updates at all. same shipping same packaging... This company is a JOKE !!!!!!!!
Reply to piseed

Aug 29, 2013  from Nashua, New Hampshire
USPS: not a joke, but a complete disaster.

How this train wreck is still operating boggles the mind.
Among the numerous, numerous USPS embarrassments I could
share, I'll pick my favorite: A package was shipped to me
via USPS Priority. This suposedly takes an average of two
days. Well this priority service took over two months.
After weeks had passed I assumed it would never arrive at
all which I sort of would have chalked up to a lost parcel.
But no it arrived after two months. Given the routine abuse
the USPS inflicts on mail I expected whatever remained of
the package to be a story in itself. But this box was absolutely pristine as if it had just left the hand of the shipper. What
madness the USPS suffers resulting in such bumbling incompetence
is simply beyond human comprehension.

BTW I find the "body bags" in which the remains of destroyed
mail arrives to be especially precious, brandishing
an unapologetic: "We Care"

About what? Apparently not mail delivery nor customer service.

Absolute disaster! UPS and FedEx have nothing to worry about.
Reply to uhmgawa

Aug 22, 2013  from Saint Louis, Missouri
I shipped 2 packages flat rate priority international ($24 a piece) with a tracking number. It has been nearly 2 weeks and all the tracking shows is that it left my local post office. I contacted usps and got an automated response saying that other countries are not required to scan packages. which is basically their way of saying they are not to be held responsible. First of all my packages where only scanned once in the first place and secondly why do we pay such big amounts for shipping if they are not going to guarantee their delivery. Also why should they not have to refund the shipping cost if the item does not arrive. I paid for you to deliver the package. You don't deliver the package, you don't get paid .. right? I am out $150 for this transaction and this will be my last international transaction and my last transaction with usps in general.
Reply to julade

Aug 21, 2013  from Naperville, Illinois
Hoffman Estates IL and Elk Grove IL USPS both have crappy tracking updates,rude employees like at Streamwood Il USPS.....No one I talked to will fess up to the fact that they dont have control of their operation they are operating by luck...Like most all their facilities in the rest of the countty....I have used them in other states too and same problem..

This Fexeral USPS operation should be closed down and out sources privately...

The should be renamed USIPS....UNITED STATES INCOMPITENT POSTAL SERVICE..

OH......and our Federal IncomeTax Dollars fund the crappy operation surely......

Hmmmmmmm?

Nov 05, 2013
No, your federal tax dollars do not pay for the postal service! Their income comes solely from the sales of stamps and services.

Aug 08, 2013  from Madison, Wisconsin
I worked for the USPS for 33 years, and even I can't defend it (the USPS). And I can't say it's just 'of late' that the standard(s) of service have declined.
20 years ago I was sent time-critical NFL game-tickets for a Sunday game. The distance involved was approximately 200 miles, but 3 days after the game, I received the tickets that had been mailed 5 days earlier.
Just this past week I sent a 'Priority Mail' envelope (at $6.50), with a 'Delivery Confirmation' addendum. Four days later, even though 'priority mail' is guaranteed "2 to 3 days, anywhere in the continental United States, I'm only being shown my mailing-date of that item 4 days ago!
Trust me- management at the USPS is continually "shooting this almost three century-old institution in the foot", and can't seem to re-load fast enough: Go ahead and stop 'Saturday delivery'. That's the one thing, besides driving past every address in the United States six days a week, that you have going for you. That in itself, should provide a 'window' that any junior-college business student could exploit!
Reply to Duroc

Aug 07, 2013  from Greenfield, Indiana
The USPS is a joke...paid for first class certified mail..mailed 7/29...still not delivered on 8/7...Indy to Chicago...I will use FedEx next time!!

Aug 05, 2013
Couldn't agree more that the USPS is a poorly run operation. I've been burned too many times by this government run delivery service. Our government should just get out of basic serives like delivering mail, issuing drivers licenses and maintaining our roads. Private sector businesses could do so much better at a lower cost. All I can say is use a proven carrier like FedEx or UPS. They get it.
Reply to FedUp

Jul 25, 2013  from Margate, Florida
I'm only going to say that we the advanced technology today, just because you loose your tracking number there is no way to track it down according to the employees of the USPS office in Coral Springs,Fl. I think they should be more helpful and cordial but instead they are rude and all you get from them is NO. I though that customer services is important to any business but not this one. Anyway now I know that next time I need to send a package it will not be thru USPS. Thanks
Reply to mercy

Jul 23, 2013  from Pendleton, Oregon
HAVING SAME PROBLEM ,THEY KEEP LOSING MY PACKAGES IN THE SAME POST OFFICE EVERY TIME OR STEELING IT I DON'T KNOW WITCH. & I'VE TRIED TO GET INS. BUT THEY GIVE U SUCH A RUN AROUND & THEY DON'T WANT TO PAY THAT EITHER . I THINK ITS TIME TO GO ON NATIONAL TV & LET THE PEOPLE NO WHY USPS KEEP LOSING MONEY. BUT AGAIN THEY WOULD PROBLEY JUST SAY THE LOST THE THE MONEY IN THE USPS MAIL. AND THEY WONDER WHY PEOPLE GO POSTAL ON THEM. L.O.L. THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT. THAT SEEMS LIKE THAT'S ALL WE CAN DO WITH THE GOVERNMENT RUN PROGRAM'S
Reply to FED UP!!

Jul 18, 2013  from Jacksonville, North Carolina
I ordered an item off ebay the seller says they are in Canada, no biggie, the problem is hen I couldn't track my purchase I contacted the seller. They said no problem here is the tracking number thru usps package will be delivered by the 18th of July, ok, so on the 17th I looked up the number I was given to check on my order status. As of noon on the 18 my package was still listed as preparing to ship from....where? wait for it......... CHINA! Really are u kidding me now :( it says delivery no later than the 24th urgh. I placed my order and it was accepted on the 3rd of July!
Reply to so pissed off

Jul 02, 2013  from Tampa, Florida
Personally, as a part time ebay seller/buyer -(around 400 transactions)- I have always found the shipping by USPS to be quite satisfactory and many times excellent. BUT, 'occasionally' when I check the tracking number there is NO info at all. Total blank box at ebay and the USPS site says "Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office." This seems to be a glitch in the system that sometimes occurs - as with any anything computer run. That is my only gripe. In their defense, the reason they are going broke is because almost everyone pays their bills and other business online now. HUGE loss of income on top of a bad economy. The Post Office has been around a really long time and I would really hate to see them go.
Reply to Slider

May 21, 2013
I cannot express how much "srgore67" is right on point! I really feel like finding out the names of every single person who is handling my package and putting a drought on everything good they hope to recieve out of life for the same amount of time my package is gone into the "Usps Bermuda triangle" and when I get it and DECIDE to update the tracking info saying that I received it will their lives proceed back to normal! I mean I know it seems harsh but I really have a problem with unnecessary stupidity! Tracking and delivering a package cannot be that hard when EVERYONE ELSE is doing it! What really angers me is the fact they have the nerve to be THE OFFICIAL UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE! No other better statement than "What a joke"!
Reply to Nikki Starr

Read next USPS complaint

United States Postal Service

Today I received an open letter from my bank in my secure (locked) mailbox.This has happened multipl...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about USPS.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug