• show-popup

Product / Service Rude Customer Service
Category Transportation and Delivery
Views 56
Monetary Loss

I wanted to return an eBay purchase. I sent it back to the return address given on the original shipping label. It turned out that the return address was that of the UPS Store it had been shipped from. When it arrived, the operator called me. She said they could hold it if the seller agreed to pay a fee for pickup. I asked them to hold it while I contacted the seller, but they sent it back to me within hours. The seller turned up soon after, but the package was gone.

The original shipping label listed two addresses. When the package came back to me, I naturally shipped it to the second one. But it was the same UPS store. She called me again, and I asked her to ship it to the seller. I said I was willing to pay for it, but I thought they should because the mixup was their fault. The operator became very angry and refused to hold the package or ship it, either one.

The seller is a frequent customer and the package originated at their store; I feel that they had an obligation to facilitate the return. Now I have to pay a *third* time to send the same package back to the same person.

This wouldn't have happened IF:

The UPS store hadn't used their own address as the return address

They hadn't listed two versions of their own address

They'd held it just a little while longer the first time

They'd held the package or shipped it the second time

A little customer service wouldn't have cost them anything; but the lack DID cost me money. 2d2c2f4

Comments (13) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Feb 06  from Anchorage, Alaska
Lets clear some stuff up,
Undroid seems to be a pleasent fellow so....
1)The original shipping label: on every domestic shipping label generated by the UPS Store via ISHIP the originating location is always going to be the sending UPS Store location. International shipping labels puts the customers address though, don't ask me why. There is no way that there is 2 different address for that UPS Store....there's something wrong here.
2)The receiving UPS Store has no way to look up the original "sellers" information to contact them unless a phone number was provided. And the store is not obligated to hold that package for anytime unless that customer was a mailbox holder that is. Nearly all UPS Stores charge for receiving packages for people that are not mailbox holders...some UPS Stores outright refuse any packages that is not for mailbox customers due to liabilities.
3) If you didn't open the package and RTS the box back, then yes the original UPS Store would have to deal with the problem but in this case it seems that you opened the package and shipped it via UPS Store from the Seattle area.
For future refrence, you could of called the Seattle UPS Store to do a delivery intercept or an address correction... since they were in control of the shipment going back. The address correction is free, I don't remember the cost of delivery intercept. Hate to say this but most of this could of been avoided by talking to original seller for a return address ... Show more
Reply to on lunch

Feb 06
Agreed, I should have verified it. I made a mistake, no argument there. But this review isn't about me, it's about the store owner's reaction.
She could have seen my mistake as a business opportunity. Instead, she chose to be extremely rude and got a snarky review on Pissed Consumer. (Alongside her other internet reviews, most of which likewise mention this person's lousy attitude)
My local UPS store has my name & phone on file. In this case, the bwitch on the other end *did* look up the seller; she told me so. She could have called him, I couldn't - all I had was an email address. There was no way I could tip him off in the two-hour time window she gave me. As I mentioned earlier, he *did* show up for the package - so she not only cost me money, but she did the same to a regular customer!
I talked to my local store about this, they said that UPS gives them no such deadline, they can and will hold a package for pickup. They're more than happy to help straighten something out, even if there isn't a profit involved. They get good reviews and repeat customers.
The bwitch gets reviews that say, "I'm never going back"

Feb 06  from Anchorage, Alaska
Hi Undroid,
Did the Seattle UPS Store mention address correction/ delivery intercept when this was happening? If they didn't, they aren't doing their jobs very well or are too lazy to make the call :P Hopefully this isn't the case.
It is absolutely true that UPS does not really give a deadline on RTS packages. I've seen people return unopened RTS packages 5months after it was delivered. That's partially because a lot of accounts get charged for RTS shipments. Bigger companies don't however. Depends on the contract negotiated. The liability I was alluding to was the fact the store have to account for a package in their store that they otherwise wouldnt have to. I'm not saying that the unfriendly owner should of not tried harder but ..... there always is more information to consider.
Reply to eating dinner

Feb 06
> Did the Seattle UPS Store mention address correction?
My local folks didn't know what was going on at the time & I didn't know I could do that. Now I do; thank you, Mr. dinner. ;-)
(But I wonder whether the bwitch knew that...)
I do understand the liability aspect, it's a perfectly valid concern. You take a risk when you run any business. With shippers it's the responsibility for other people's property; a restaurant risks giving their customers E. Coli; and a politician takes the risk of being hung by his constituents.

Jan 17
Undroid- I like your comments! And you are right, you have to be polite no matter what. Even if the customer is wrong (I don't think you were but I'll happily take a snarky comment!). If you deal with a problem politely, the customer leaves happy and comes back happy!
Reply to QueenB

Jan 17  from Des Moines, Iowa
Thank you, QueenB. I got my business savvy from my mother. She ran her own highly successful business for over 25 years. She liked to say, "It takes ten happy customers to gain one new customer, but it only takes one unhappy customer to lose ten."
Thanks to the internet, we can multiply that by a thousand. That's *very* good for the good business people, and for the others ...?

Jan 17
You should not take pre-paid 50 pound packages to a UPS store. Why dont you call for a pickup you cheap ****.
Many owners are flooded with up to 100 drop offs per day and the last thing they need is you and your 50 pound pre-paids. So fccckkk offf.
Reply to shield22

Jan 17  from Seattle, Washington
uhhh ... Einstein? I find it helps just a whole lot to READ a review BEFORE I comment on it. You might consider the same approach rather than embarrassing yourself again.
FYI:
1) This was a FIVE pound package
2) It was NOT prepaid
3) I dropped it off in Seattle, NOT NJ
4) If the owner doesn't like the terms of the contract, he doesn't have to sign it. fffffollow yyyyyyyour ooooown aaaaaadvice.

Jan 17  from Albuquerque, New Mexico
Wow, you are absolutely ***. They made no mistake. You said they weren't going to pay, they returned it. You should have transferred the money to pick up the package from your account to the sellers! (via PayPal) you made the mistake of that. We (as the UPS Store--not this store, another store) are the shipper, not our customer, so we are the return address. If you are being rude to them, they are going to be rude to you.
Reply to Nick1346

Jan 17  from Seattle, Washington
I gotta give you the same advice as I did to Einstein. READ the review BEFORE commenting.
I never said the seller wasn't going to pay. He even went down to the store to pick up the package. If they were in that much of a hurry, they could have contacted the seller themselves. He's a regular customer: an eBay seller who uses them for all his business.
I often use my local UPS Store - my labels say "Ship From: [Undroid]" and "Shipped Through: [UPS Store]" In fact, they'll refuse to send one with their own address as the return address. I assumed the NJ store operated in the same manner.
I was very polite the first couple of times I spoke with this person, even though she was quite rude. The third time, I was angry because she had already cost me time and money. Even then, I was still polite. She got all huffy and refused to provide the service she's in business to provide. That reaction cost me even more time and money. Only then did I get impolite, *VERY* impolite and I do not apologize for that in the least.
Some more advice from someone who's run his own business: if you've got an unhappy customer, that's the WORST time to be short tempered yourself. If you are patient and kind, you'll have a loyal customer for life. If not - you'll get reviews like this one on Pissed Consumer. It's your choice.

Jan 17  from Seattle, Washington
This review is specifically for the UPS Store located in West Winsdor, NJ. The people at my local Seattle store are just great.

Jan 22  from Albuquerque, New Mexico
I read every word you wrote. The seller should give you their address, if he didn't or you ignored him or didn't wait for him. That's your fault or the sellers fault. If you don't like someone's attitude, don't use them or "suffer" and put up with it. Wtf do you mean two different versions of the address? They can't be that different that you can't realize they're the same. Our address is 2270 Wyoming, Suite D. For mail we list it as 2270-D Wyoming. It's clear they are the same. I honestly didn't think it's possible to put the customers address as the return address so they're doing something totally weird.
Reply to Nick1346

Jan 22
Have you never seen an address that looks like this:
. Megacorp, LLC
. PO Box 1234
. 5678 North Industrial Drive
. Los Angeles, CA . That's TWO addresses in one spot, and it's pretty common. First line is mailing address, and the next is physical location. That's what I thought I was looking at (especially since it included the seller's name). Is it really a mistake to assume that the return address is the ADDRESS to which you might RETURN something? . I've shipped from several different UPS Stores, in several different states. ALL of them insisted on a real address, none of them would use their own address unless I rented a box there. If the seller had gotten my address wrong, the box would have returned back to that same UPS Store. What would she have done then? Sent it back to the wrong address? Berated the driver? . You are correct that I made a mistake in not verifying the address. Some people might look at that and see a fool with a problem, but others might see a potential customer presenting them with a business opportunity. . She's got several reviewers on Yahoo & Google saying the same things, that she's inexplicably rude to everyone who walks in the door. You just gotta wonder why someone owns a consumer-oriented business if they don't like dealing with the public in the first place.

Read next UPS Store complaint

they lost my package and couldnot locate it where...

I had changed my address and they made correction on Wednesday said my package will be here...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about UPS Store.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug