• show-popup

Shares 0

Universal Technical Institute - Pay for what you Get!

• by   Nov 16, 2009
Location Sacramento, California
Category Education
Views 2603
Monetary Loss

Universal Technical Institute, 30k for a job in the automotive field?will you get the job when your done or just a bill for student loans.

So 30 k for core classes, 7 k for Ford fact, 4 k for toyota or nissan, and 5k for smog, 50 k if you take diesel auto fact and core to get a $12.00 an hour job. They offers their students insentives to sign up Lab fee and clothes paid for by admissions reps, they help students take the entrance exams(for those students that cant read and write) and they pass those students along so they can get their retake fees and federal and state funds they are told at sign up they will get $1000.00 worth of snap on tools when in reality it's only $800.00 How can you get a job with $800.00 worth of tools, especialy Snap On.

Most of the ciriculum is 8 to 10 years old or more, and the instcuctors have verry little field experience and most are recent UTI grads themselves.So do your self a favor, find an apprentiship program save your self the money and get a job at a shop and learn on the job. 2dfb9ec

Comments (111) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 111 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Mar 23
Uti has layoffs almost every year so it won't be around in the long run anyway
Reply to Insider

Feb 10  from Knoxville, Tennessee
I have hired 2 of thier graduates in the last couple of years, and I will not hire another one. They would have been better off learning on the job from scratch. I dont know what they taught them because a huge majority of it does not apply to every day working conditions and what they did learn could have been learned on the job in less than a year.

Dec 13, 2013
How long it's take to yu!?
Reply to Sam

Sep 30, 2013  from Orlando, Florida
I am an MMi marine graduate. I already had a great job but went to school to learn more. I am very satisfied with the course and am lookinf foward to taking the Diesel and Motorcycle course in the future. The school is top notch. But I saw many kids going there just to pass test, copy and coat tail. If your kid went to this school and learned nothing then only your kid is to blame. If you do not apply yourself then you are just throwing money away and a lot of the kids I saw there had a lack of interest and their main priority was to hang out and have a good time. Unfortunatley the school does not control the job market but if a good school is what you are looking for this is it. You pay for what you get and its worth every penny. But paying top dollar does not mean you can just go hang out and expect to learn. Education is a great base , but experience is also very important so dont expect to go to school and be a lead tech and make top dollar without experience.
Reply to Dota

Sep 30, 2013  from Orlando, Florida
I forgot to mention that the industry partnerships at UTI/MMI allow student to work on up to date real equipment and manufacturer systems. Go take a tour of the school and then go to any other school and you will see the difference. The manufacturer specific courses are sponsored by the manufacturers.
Reply to Dota

Oct 03, 2013  from Nogales, Arizona
BUNCH OF LIES, when I went the equiptment was ancient. They still had 2 stroke Detroit Diesels and made you adjust them that was 60s-70s technology. Ive been in the industry for over 15 years and Ive never ever had any vehicle with a 2 stroke engine. The engines we did take apart and did no adjustments were missing parts from being taken apart a million times. SAVE YOURSELF THE MONEY AND LEARN FROM GETTING A JOB AT A SHOP AS ENTRY LEVEL, YOU WILL GRADUATE THIS SCHOOL AND MAKE 2 DOLLARS MORE THAN MINIMUM WAGE
Reply to efrainG

Aug 21, 2013  from Los Angeles, California
this is a for profit school! meaning this school is only out to make a PROFIT and make $$$. It's a fake school. its 6x more than a community college and 2x more than a University. another thing is credits are NOT transferable, meaning you only stay with UTI. It's a scam.. Do your research on FOR-PROFIT colleges. save your money and a year of your life! these representatives are like salesman. there job is to get you to sign applications! sign contracts.. ounce you sign everything, nothing but empty promises after. go to a community college get a DEGREE (something that means something in life) not "certified as a technician" you can get certified at jiffy lube and get paid during. but yeah go to community college get your english class. math, gym... the way school is! there is no shortcut in life guys!
Reply to A PILOT

Sep 11, 2013  from Scottsdale, Arizona
Hello Pilot, are you a current student or graduate of UTI? I can assure you and anyone else viewing that we are not a scam and are held to strict regulations by the U.S. Department of Education on the information we disclose. Our disclosure information (student, graduate, and employment rates) can be found on the Universal Technical Institute website under the "Student Services" tab. We also provide a PDF of our student catalog (found under any program link) which contains information on the diplomas and certificates offered at any of our campuses as well as information on the transferability of credits to other institutions. UTI awards an Associate of Occupational Studies (AOS)degree in Automotive Technology and diplomas at its Avondale, Arizona, location. All other campuses award diplomas. The graduation document awarded for the program in which students are enrolled is shown on the tuition addendum, which also outlines the length and cost of each program. We know that UTI isn't for everyone, however, with over 30 manufacturer relationships, over 160,000 graduates over 45 years and 4 out of 5 graduates finding employment within their field of study within 1 year of graduation, we believe that UTI is one of the best training options around. Our programs, campuses and labs replicate the experience that you’ll likely have with your first employer. And while we cannot guarantee employment, we do pride ourselves on assisting our students and graduates from the beginning and... Show more

Oct 07, 2013
Your school doesn't offer anything a community college doesn't offer only a large price tag. I can't believe you are on here trying to justify your scam of a school. As an alumni anytime I need help all I get is a run around. You got my money now on to the next.
Reply to TIm

Oct 30, 2013
i am attending uti next year, but all the reviews i read on the internet is starting to defer me. almost everything ive found so far has said negative things about the school
Reply to chad

14 hours ago
chad, chad... you should always listen to reviews instead of your own knowledge based ideas. based on how you love reviews I don't use toilets. so you should *** in your hand and wipe your face. :grin make your own decisions not internet trolls like the majority especially in regards to your goals and interests

14 hours ago
you are a complete definition of troll. Have you even been to college? or a student at UTI? A trade is way better than college if you have been. lol.. you are talking about going to community college and getting an associates that will get you basically nothing because most people take most of those classes in high school. also yes the representatives do get you started in school like any other college... duh.

Aug 20, 2013
My son is attending UTI currently and will graduate next Month. He already has accepted a job with a local Ford Dealership.

Very happy with his choice and experiences.
Reply to Anonymous

Jul 29, 2013  from Kharkiv, Kharkivs'ka Oblast'
I find that UTI sells a good pitch but the students do not get to know the real stuff.
My son graduated from auto and diesel class and me who never went to school has more knowledge specialy in the diesel field.the only thing they learn is to plug in a computer to tell basics. electrical wireing is a no no .
They have a nice display for the airbrakes systems but my son don't know anything of airbrakes.
he did Ford fact and can tell if something going to happen to a ford but thats it.
I was highly dissapointed with UTI
Reply to royforbes

Jul 18, 2013  from Orlando, Florida
This school is the most messed up place i have ever gone. I just recently stop going because I was not aware the marine mechanic side doesn't give you a certification for the many engines you work on there. This place is more then a scam its total garbage and a lie, a let down to anyone who is expecting to come out of there with something to show for not a freaking diploma that says i attended uti omg if i would have known. wtf is that gonna get you a pat on the back and most likely a sorry sir i dont hire uti students they mess up stuff cause they have no idea what they are doing. part of my life I wont ever get back FU uti hope you get torched one day. :(
Reply to pissedoffveteran

Sep 11, 2013  from Scottsdale, Arizona
Hello, I am sorry to hear you have had an unsatisfactory experience with MMI. I can assure you and anyone else viewing that we are not a scam and are held to strict regulations by the U.S. Department of Education on the information we disclose. Our disclosure information (student, graduate, and employment rates) can be found on the Universal Technical Institute website under the "Student Services" tab. We also provide a PDF of our student catalog (found under any program link) which contains information on the diplomas and certificates offered at any of our campuses as well as information on the transferability of credits to other institutions. UTI awards an Associate of Occupational Studies (AOS)degree in Automotive Technology and diplomas at its Avondale, Arizona, location. All other campuses award diplomas. The graduation document awarded for the program in which students are enrolled is shown on the tuition addendum, which also outlines the length and cost of each program. We know that MMI isn't for everyone, however, with over 30 manufacturer relationships, over 160,000 graduates over 45 years and 4 out of 5 graduates finding employment within their field of study within 1 year of graduation, we believe that UTI is one of the best training options around. Our programs, campuses and labs replicate the experience that you’ll likely have with your first employer. And while we cannot guarantee employment, we do pride ourselves on assisting our students and graduates from... Show more

Jul 11, 2013  from Cicero, Illinois
I was going to go to Uti. But after hearing all my friends have bad experiences I took there word and glad I didn't go. I got a really good job now and did everything through community college and I'm still 30grand richer. Kinda funny how the counselor or whatever told me that I won't be able to do all that withou Uti.
Reply to BMW geek

Jul 12, 2013  from Plano, Texas
Hello BMW geek, we know that UTI isn't for everyone and we are happy to hear of your success with the route you took. However, with over 30 manufacturer relationships, over 160,000 graduates over 45 years and 4 out of 5 graduates finding employment within their field of study within 1 year of graduation, we believe that UTI is one of the best training options around. If you or any other viewers have questions about our graduation or employment rates, please visit our Disclosure page on the Universal Technical Institute website. It can be found under the "Student Services" tab. Thank you!

Read next Universal Technical Institute complaint

UTI What a disapointment!!!!

Not what i expected at all.as far as curriculum...Not the best, and i say that because we get 3 week...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Universal Technical Institute.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug