• show-popup

Company Travelers Advantage
Location Fairfax, Virginia
Category Travel
Views 422

When I booked my hotel with Wyndham and got the offer to try Traveler Advantage program. I remember the guy that I spoke to on the phone said that it only costs me $1 and I will get $25 American Express cash back. I can cancel my membership any time, if I don't like it, I can cancel it after the first month, and get $25, "You spent $1 to get $25, you'll earn $24, no hurt to try" .... Today I called up and cancel the membership after sending my request to get the Amex $25 cash back and cash back for my hotel reservation in Oct. The guy that I spoke to on the phone to cancel my account, he said I won't receive my cash back if I cancel my membership. He said "you have to stay an active member in order to get that cash back. It takes 4-6 weeks to process that cash back mails I sent to them". 4 to 6 weeks? That means I will have to spend $16.xx for the 2nd month? So, it turned out that I don't spend $1 to get $25 like the guy who offered me from the beginning. Isn't that the scam or fraud? He just tried to hook me in get my $1 and hide a lot of small details ...

They also automatically added me in the Traveler Shopper membership and $1 charge for the 1st month trial too. This is a surprise for me, they didn't tell me this from the beginning. I also called to cancel it, got transferred to different department, talked to different guy, after the Traveler Advantage membership cancellation. This guy apologized and tried to get me to stay and everything. He talked a lot even after I told him I can't trust the service anymore. I had to cut him off and tell him, i am tired with all these untrustworthy business, just cancel my membership and this is my lesson. I don't want to deal with these thing no more ...

They really can make money even it's just $1. Don't know how long their business can last if they keep trying to get little little $1 like this with really untrustworthy way of doing business. 2ff7f50

Comments (14) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Apr 03  from Duluth, Georgia
I signed up thinking it was a good deal on Dec 25th when I went to surprise my girlfriend. I did not receive anything and cancelled 3 weeks later (within the 30 days cancellation period). I was hung up on when they were giving my cancellation number. I called back to get the rest of it. I received 2 more billings from the TRV SHOPPING. Both of them I disputed with my credit card company and also called the group both times to stop billing me when I cancelled in January. If I get billed this month, it may be worth getting a lawyer involved and setting up a lawsuit against the company.
Reply to Dave

Mar 21
The SAME thing happened to me! I was making a reservation with Days Inn. After everything was done they asked me if I was interested in receiving $40 cash back on my room. I said “Sure” She asked me to stay on the line and transferred me to Travelers Advantage. I was told if I signed up for just $1 to try the money savings program I could get a $40 mail in rebate for my room, and also $40 in gas savings. I could cancel at any time. After 30 days they would charge my card $16 a month. I tried to back out at one point, but she completely got me with the “you can cancel at anytime” “take advantage of the savings” I went through with everything thinking “oh I’ll just cancel before the first month is charged”. When I got off the phone I had an uneasy feeling about it. I tried to call back to ask more questions like... “How much does it cost to cancel” It was interesting to find out that no one knew what I was talking about. I spoke with several people who couldn’t answer my question; they would just transfer me over to the next person. I was on the phone for over an hour trying to figure out more information. That’s when I looked it up on the internet and found out it was a complete scam. I immediately canceled my card so that no payments would be made. And I will NOT be staying at Days Inn for my vacation. Stay away from anything related to Travelers Advantage.

Oct 16, 2013
1st. let me start by saying We and when I say WE I am an agent of Travelers Advantage also known as (Affinion) didn't automatically start you in ANYTHING, if you listen to the presentation you would know what you are signing up for there are things called "base sell" and "up sell" the base sell is the initial sell that we offer you, then we go on to offer you the "up sell" which is the final sell, yes they are two different services with two different offers, but if customers like yourself actually sit down and listen to the presentation and ask QUESTIONS, you would know what you are signing up for and all the terms and conditions, since the calls are recorded by LAW we are NOT required to give you FALSE INFORMATION!
Reply to Affinion Agent

Dec 02, 2013
*** YEAH YOU DID!!! Isn't it IRONIC that everyone has the same complaint....SCAMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

Jul 30, 2013  from Florida City, Florida
I work for the company that sells Travelers Advantage, Affinion, and I am honestly shocked that this is what I am selling. I apologize to all of the people that I have ever enrolled.

Jun 04, 2013  from Fairmont, Minnesota
I was offered the $1 membership and added the other membership...and have only paid out and not gotten any benefit...when i called to cancel I was told to go to a website to discover other offers at a discount...after seeing this info I called T A back and cancelled immediately...unfortunatly I paid for 6 months of nonuse before canceling!!! I thought I might be able to use it somehow...was I ever wrong!!
Reply to mick

Oct 27, 2012
I received a long explanation of how this membership would benefit me. Signed up in July 2012 in Days Inn in Missouri. I still haven't received my gift card of $40. I was going to use it at this time, but after reading so many negative comments I am going to cancel my membership. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply to MomaDee

Jul 02, 2012
I was just about to click 'submit' on their form after booking a room at Super8.com, thanks to the helpful little 'chat' window that popped up. Glad I Googled first. Shame on Super 8 (and everyone else) for subjecting their customers this junk.
Reply to Mike2

Mar 30, 2011
I agree that with the others that this company (calls themselves by allot of different names) if a TOTAL SCAM! They have slick salespeople calling you, with a down right lie about what you're going to be receiving (and it IS ALL by email so it can go to your spam!)and then before you know it they've charged your cc for an annual fee of over $100!!!
Reply to zempman

Feb 14, 2011
I was refered after booking a hotel with Howard Johnson. Same thing happened to me. They billed my card for the 1.00 and for I think over a year now for their services that I never received. I did cancel during the 30 day trial due to no packet received in the mail with offers for our trip. I did get an e-mail to get welcome packet. It never dawned on me that Travelers advantage company would still be billing me. I should of caught this eariler but now the damage is done. My word of advice aways check every statement for any and all charges.
Reply to lisa

Jan 21, 2011
They got us via a Days Inn reservation we made. The Days Inn rep offered us $40 to do a 'secret shopper' type of thing. We didn't realize they were actually signing us up for this BS. Fortunately I check my statements regularly. Saw the $1 "trial membership' charge today, called and cancelled immediately. Time will tell if it will actually stick. I'll probably cancel my charge card, and definitely won't do business with Days Inn ever again. The best way to show your displeasure about this sort of underhanded activity is to hit 'em where it hurts - their profits
Reply to Kyle B

Jan 11, 2011
I also signed up after a Budget rental. They signed me up for travelers advantage (and shoppers without telling me) and said the membership would start AFTER I received the stuff in the mail. I asked when they would know that and found out it started the day after I was enrolled on the phone! When I told them that three weeks had passed and I hadn't even taken the trip and that my free membership was almost over and I hadn't received anything, they extended it. However, I am planning on dropping because the benefits will not outweigh the cost. I will need to make sure they cancel BOTH since they think we won't catch on and we'll get billed $34 before you know it.
Reply to anonymous

Dec 17, 2010
I think your experience may help a building class action. Please contact Freed & Weiss to share your story and find out if you have been scammed. You can take action.

Here's the contact information:

. Take action and contact Freed & Weiss - info @ freedweiss (dot) com (No Spaces), or call, toll free 866.779.9610

info@freedweiss.com
Reply to lizaliz

Sep 22, 2013
I too was dupped by this scam. I was directed to this so called
company after making a days inn reservation. I was told I would
get conformation in my e-mail, hundreds of dollars in money saving coupons. and a $40.00 rebate off my hotel bill. Well I never got any of that. What i did get is the $1.00 and two $16.00 charges on my credit card from travel advantage and the same charges from another source which was shoppers advantage. So I got the double whami I'm guessing from the same company. I cancelled travelers advantage last month thinking it would take care of both charges but got another charge from shoppers advantage after that. Do you ever feel like kicking yourself where it hurts for being so ***. I'll never do anything like this again.
Reply to dumbass

Read next Travelers Advantage complaint

Travelers Advantage Promised $30 to sign up and...

Skip this organization - TravelersAdvantage. I can see by the problem others are having they operat...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Travelers Advantage.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug