• show-popup

Shares 0

Thermal Construction Windows - Installed wrong style replacement windows six months ago, not responding to inquiries

Company Thermal Construction Windows
Product / Service Replacement Windows
Location Reston, Virginia
Category Installers
Views 89
Monetary Loss

This is regarding non-existant customer service from Thermal Construction Windows in Des Plaines, IL. The wrong style of replacement windows were ordered by the company. The installers said it happens all the time - they proceeded to install the wrong windows in March, 2010 and said they would advise the salesman/office manager.

Weeks went by and there was no contact from anyone, when we called we were told we would be called "tomorrow" - that never happened. Finally, in mid-May 2010, we were asked to come to the showroom to select the correct window style - we were inconvenienced by making the trip (we are elderly and the Mrs. is in a wheel chair)-we feel this could have been handled over the phone since the original written order was correct, the original order was placed incorrectly.

We were led to believe the new order would be placed either that same day or the next. Again, weeks led to months and no word or status was ever given to us.

On August 30, we called to check the status and was told the owner would call us back "tomorrow", when we pressed for information, the office manager said she had another call on the other line - we advised we would wait for her to conclude that call to finish with our questions, she restated we would get a call back the next day and hung up on us. Needless to say, there wasn't a call back the next day. We called Sept. 1, were told the owner has been out town for a few weeks, is checking on something about our order and would call back. We called Sept. 2 and left a message demanding resolution - again no courtesy of a response.

Phone tag is so much fun, we tried again and were told the owner would be back after Labor Day. Its after Labor Day and no calls! Mary (the office manager of one-herself) should go by "the artful dodger", she claims to know nothing but clearly is very clever with inventing excuses and lying.

We wonder how a business owner can go somewhere for a few weeks during what one would think is their busiest time of year!? Their website is "down" so tht clearly a bill they haven't paid. Luckily we haven't made full payment but outstanding recievables isn't an incentive to correct their wrongs.

All we want is the correct window style installed and a credit for having to deal with this fiasco. 3024f89

Comments (23) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 23 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Dec 27, 2013
can he still do work in IL?
Reply to jim

Sep 14, 2011
I also ordered windows and a patio door from Thermal Construction Windows in August 2010. I was promised windows in six weeks; it took three months. And I received the windows after my lawyer wrote a letter. Now, one year later, one of the windows does not close and the patio screen is off the track. I have been trying to contact Jim Johnson since July without a reply.
Reply to F Perlman

Feb 28, 2011
Please email me on thermalfraud@gmail.com of you want to join me in your complaint, or are intrested in filing a collective lawsuit. I think the more people can join, it would make a diffrence sooner.

Jan 28, 2011
Harrased Customer - I sent you an email with the additional info I have. My understanding is today's meeting is a meeting of all of the Ace owners, not necessarily a meeting open to the public. See my email to your gmail account also.
Reply to don't deal with thermal constr

Jan 27, 2011
Please let me know the whereabouts and time of the ACE store owners meeting if anyone has any clue about it. We would like to go and attend it if possible. I am talking about the meeting which someone posted about in this forum.

Jan 27, 2011
"don't deal with thermal constr" wrote about a meeting between ACE owners where this case will be discussed. If anyone has more information about the whereabouts or the timing of this meeting please let me know or post it here. You can contact me at thermalfraud@gmail.com . Any help or information would be much appreciated.

Jan 26, 2011
Hi everyone,

We are sick and tired of Jim Johnson and his tactics and have decided to something about it.
We have filed a complaint with the State Attorney general. I would like to know who amongst you would be ready to come and give a testimony against Thermal constructions in court. This would also help you to get your money back. Email me at thermalfraud@gmail.com. I will let you know once an attorney contacts us and we can go against him.

Jan 24, 2011
Everyone, PLEASE contact the Owner of your Ace where you met Thermal Construction. Ace Hardware is NOT aware that Jim Johnsen is taking money from customers and providing no service. Ace continues to allow Thermal Construction to be present in Chicagoland stores. There is a Chicagoland Ace Owners meeting on Friday, January 28th where this will be discussed. Jim Johnsen is refusing to return our money after months and months of absolutely no progress on our window replacement.
Reply to don't deal with thermal constr

Jan 09, 2011
Do not purchase or deal with Jim/James Johnson. Scam artists. Will not the windows you ordered. Will not refund your money.
Reply to no windows

Jan 01, 2011
Did everyone else connect with Thermal Construction at Ace Hardware? Please let me know. How can Ace Hardware partner with, and continue to allow Thermal Construction to solicit to more innocent victims within their stores?

Dec 17, 2010
We are pursuing getting our money back, but still no luck.

Dec 16, 2010
Anyone get their full money back yet after cancelling the contract.. I'm so frustrated by Jim Johnsen and their staff excuses. Please let me know if you had any luck..
Reply to MK

Dec 14, 2010
Jim Johnson is the biggest liar I have encountered in years!! I wonder how the company is still operating despite the poor service or rather the lack of it. My check of $2250 is resting with them, and all we have got is promises and more delays. We are sick and tired of them. I seriously wish we had never conducted business with them. I don't mind paying more for a good product but this is just insane. I wish I had the money to hire a good lawyer and set them right.! WARNING: STAY AWAY!

Nov 30, 2010
We have been given the same song and dance since they took $1,150 deposit back in September. So far, no window, and no contact. Jim Johnson is full of promises and lies, and that MAry Kranz can dodge and weave better than Mohammed Ali... I filed a complaint with the BBB and still no resolution. My next stop will be the DesPlaines police for failure to comply with a contract and felony theft of lack of intent to honor an agreement of more than $1,000. They have 1 week from today, or the police will be on their steps.
Reply to Katherine B

Nov 23, 2010
Here is Jim Johnsen's cell number: 847-650-8501.

I'm going through the same scenario.
Reply to MK

Nov 18, 2010
I similiarly am getting absolutely every excuse in the book; i think i may have even gotten "the dog ate your window order". The company they are claiming is bankrupt is Thermal Industries (we've heard that excuse as well). However, if you call Thermal Industries, they will forward you directly to their lawyer when you mention Thermal Construction, who can provide you with some further, unencouraging information. :(

Nov 10, 2010  from Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand
Sorry, no resolution yet - hearing every excuse but "the dog ate my homework". Latest was the manufacturer went bankrupt - they wont say who that is to verify...make of that what you will :upset
Reply to tobytoes

Nov 08, 2010
Has anyone gotten resolution to thier issues? We are having the same problem with inability to reach the company/schedule install and are becoming increasingly frustrated. :(

Oct 05, 2010  from Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand
Hey, Barry - sorry you're having the same trouble but BBB is the way to go. If there are others reading all this but shy about adding a comment - please, help yurself by going to the Better Business Bureau - load 'em up! Good luck all!
Reply to tobytoes

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Thermal Construction Windows.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug