• show-popup

Product / Service Checking Account
Location Boynton Beach, Florida
Category Finances
Views 322

I had read all the posting on Bank of America.Well I just want to tell you that Suntrust is not much better.

Just recently I started seeing "extended" overdraft fees. This is now policy that should you have overdraft anything in your account for more that 7 days, you will get an additional $36 added as a fee. Even if its an item as small as $3.00 Which is what happened to me.

Should there be a cap/percentage according to the dollar amount that bounced.

I mean $3!!! That is insane! My $3 dollar item ended up costing me $75! What can we do??

Anything?

and has any one taken the time to research who has the cheapest fees and now apparently "exteded" fees?I would like to hear if so! 2e599ff

Comments (14) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Aug 12, 2013
Suntrust is a worf in sheeps clothing. Since we began banking with Suntrust we have had nothing but issues with money. It seems no matter how hard we cut back on expenses we still ended up in the negative. My husband gets paid once a month so what we get we live off for 30 days and we have many bills, debt and 4 kids..We use our debit card for everything but also follow it online, but with Suntrust you cant reply on online banking as they "process" debits&credits for days, up to a week and rearrange the order all the time. Lately its become so bad we cant even pay our regular monthly bills and debts without worry, we seen to run out of money in a few days.I could not understand how we could be so off. the more we put in the more we loose.. We look online and all looks good one day, then the next we are out of money and in the negative by hundreds.. This past month I decided to test them out and watch exactly how its all "processed' and I found the problem. We had $300 in our account but needed to pay our electric bill & food shop, so we sold our ipad and a phone for extra cash. The money went from paypal into our account on the 8th (we seen it show online) and we had over $1,000 to spend. We paid our bills and took out some cash from the ATM but did not go over the money we had in our account. Well Suntrust held that deposit in processing for 2 days and everytime we logged in we seen another debit that we did after the deposit added before with of course a overdraft... Show more
Reply to DDmcD

May 24, 2013  from Richmond, Missouri
The Banks in the UK did this to people and the courts made them pay everyone back.. It is so wrong that it should be fixed.. They use words like 'Procedure' because they can.t use the word 'LAW' .. I have had Suntrust pay Netflix out of my account and I called twice to tell them to stop payment and yet here I am over drawn again .. Twice they paid and put me over $5 and I have 2 x $36 charges.. This i daylight robbery.. I am not going to pay it back as I have asked them to stop the payment.. I will make a massive stink about this and use What happened in the UK as a piont of fact about banking.. The Law is all under the same law as the Crown Of England.. Look at the Gold around the Flag in court rooms... So justice should be seved the same.. Fair Play is what makes a bank worth staying with .. This is some arseholes money making plane that no one is kicking up a fuss about... Please email me if you are wanting to find a lawer who will take on the banks for fair play and stop this *** from happening to so many people.. Or just close the bank account and go to check cashing places instead.. America is the land of 'Rip you off' and American people are so *** you are letting them do it to you ..
Reply to John

Jan 19, 2012
she could withdraw my $14 to regain my business. but she never try to be helpful.
Reply to Tina

Jan 19, 2012
:( :( :( :( The Suntrust bank I went to this morning is located at Duluth, GA. The korean lady Sunny Kim has such a bad attitude, they just dont want our business!!! i dont mean everyone there is as mean as her, but overall she really pissed me off!
Reply to Tina

Oct 06, 2011
Now you also have to watch out for Suntrust because on pay day, your "extended" overdraft fee doesn't appear, so you think you have one balance, but after that purchase the next day, wha-lah - it's another $36 charge and where you thought you had $10 left, you now have minus $26 in your account. Oh and if you are broke until next pay day...that will be another $36 in the extended overdraft fee AGAIN... :(
Reply to K

Oct 06, 2011
to Suntrust's credit - if you have an accident and overdraft your account, they will sometimes work with you and waive or refund the extended overdraft if you call and ask. no guarantee but there have been circumstances where they will waive it as a customer service gesture... OR if you end up with multiple $36 fees because one thing bounced and it caused a domino effect for other items for which the money there when you made the purchase.
Reply to K

Aug 05, 2011
Banking fees are confusing to most and most consumers get mad when banks charge them fees for using the banks money. Extended overdraft fees are charged because you have borrowed the banks money for an extended period of time.

I realize that overdrawing your account $3.00 and being charged $36 is costly, BUT look at it this way if you stopped using your debit card and only dealt in cash every week (get cash at an ATM or Teller window) this would never happen. If you took $20 cash and spent $10 at your local store and then went to the gas station the next day and pumped $13.00 worth of gas you WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PAY. Instead most people use their debit card and really have no idea if they have the money or not or in some cases they know they do not have enough and just hope the bank will pay and then get mad when there is a fee. Another tip go to SunTrust and tell them to decline your card if youhave no money, they do have that option because I have it, then you won't be charged, you also won't get whatever your trying to purchase.
Reply to Lisa

Jul 22, 2011
I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts about this. The readings of similar experiences let me exult some maddening frustration when I came home to see if my check had been processed yet only to find that I was charged $36 more dollars for an 'extended' overdraft fee.

I have a full time job, and I get payed biweekly at $430 a paycheck. Come to my surprise, Netflix charged me the day I payed KUB off, which set my account to negative $3, which was the day after I'd been payed. I called Netflix to see about a refund, so that I could resume my subcription after I'd been payed, and after being told 'yes no problem I just need more info,' the third time I described my situation they declined but offered I could cancel my subscription now and resume later.. How about I cancel that subscription and use the $36 that could have gone to you to necessities instead? So, having an account at negative 39 dollars after the fee, I'd planned to deposit my next check asap so that that wouldn't be outstanding.

So here I am. At negative 78 dollars after the *** extended fee without any money, having already deposited my check waiting to run on $350 for two more weeks, excluding due bills and other payments.

I'm going to calmly go to Suntrust Monday, withdraw all my money, and stop using their services. This is just too much, ***, I make so little it may behoove me to keep all my cash stashed in a sock, I wouldn't even need a pair.
Reply to assistant boyager

Mar 09, 2011
get this, i made a deposit yesterday. it posted this morning...after my extended over draft fee. I swear I thought Suntrust had a deposit before credit policy. Im serious. My account online says the deposit posted and then charges me $36 for an extended overdraft fee. not happy...
Reply to rachel

Jun 25, 2010
After banking with what is now Suntrust since they were Bank of Virginia (I believe) ... I was astounded to hear of an "extended overdraft fee"!

With bank technology being what it is today ... I would prefer to be embarrassed at the register, rather than being charged an overdraft fee and an extended overdraft fee.

If it was possible to just cash my paycheck without enormous fees ... I would go back to the days after the Great Depression and but a pack of socks and hiding money in my house.

Regardless of what any big business says ... their main goal is to turn a profit ... and most of their practices are unscrupulous ... the banking system included.
Reply to Chandler

Jan 30, 2010
Hi Ed, I have the exact same problem you had for Christmas. December 23rd 2009 I paid off a lot of bills a 750 school bill followed by a 483 rent bill. I was still using my account for small things such as food and Christmas gifts but I checked and double checked my online account to make sure that I never went over. What ended up happening was I spent a little too much on Christmas gifts and I discovered this on December 28th so my credit card bill that I had already submitted was going to bring my account over by 30 dollars. When I checked (and did not use my sun trust account) between the 28th and the 3rd everything was in order. Charges posted accordingly and everything went down how it was supposed to go down. On the 3rd the only charge that was still pending was my credit card bill. At this point in time my 750 school bill posted leaving me around 453 in my account listed as BOTH ACTIVE AND CURRENT AMOUNTS (I had to deposit 40 just to get it up to 483 which is what my check was for) so logically thinking over the next couple of days my 39 credit card bill was going to post taking me under 36 dollars plus another 36 for over draft. I goto the bank on the 4th to deposit 400 and when I check my account that day they say I'm -420! I checked my bank records again and it shows that all of my old charges from the beginning of the statement period that were ALREADY POSTED were now moved to the END of my account and they were all my smallest charges. So instead of doing 1 36... Show more
Reply to Squiggle

Jan 30, 2010
Reply to Jon

Jan 20, 2010
I with you. I don't mind paying, if owed. But to be charged twice and so much is obscence.

Yes, they are in the business to make money, but they seem to forget the fact that they are using our money to make it. And most people I know have free checking and therefore are not gaining any interest on their accounts. So the banks are winning all around. I bet they get interest on any monies they use to conduct their business.

Like you said, "Penalized for being poor." Always and Forever

On a separate incident, I actually went into the bank and was made to feel as if I was lying. The teller I interacted with had the nerve to imply that I told her two different stories. Like I was changing my story in midstream trying to convince her. I was so angry that I left the bank fuming. The last few times I went into the bank I didn't see her. So hopefully, she has moved on to a more suitable profession, like wrestling bears.
:zzz
Reply to boss lady

Dec 24, 2009
I have also been hit with these crazy charges (though not as much as my friend here) and I've figured out their game (or should I say scam).
Allow me to explain…

I use my card a lot to make purchases for my business and many of them are under $30 (usually internet related software etc) and I monitor my account online every single day

The problem is that I might make 10 purchases one day, then a few more a week later, and when I go to check my online reports - only 3/4 of them have gone through so the balance they show me is actually much higher than what I actually have

The way they arrange it on the page makes it all seem easy to understand, but the truth is that out of 20 purchases I might make within the span of a couple of weeks, only 15-17 of them are actually processed. The rest are held until you have a low enough balance that they can bombarded you with charges. I’ve even seen charges that appeared one moment and gone the next day, only to reappear later.

SunTrust’s online systems have held reporting on purchases for as long as a week and a half! What
I notice after is that once my account is low enough - BAM - they put the rest of the original charges through.

I make very small purchases and I've been hit with fees as high as $70+ for a purchase valued under $20 (my web hosting account for instance) because they use this method. I have been trying to start up a small
... Show more
Reply to Ed

Read next Suntrust complaint

UAF? NSF? Huh?

The other day I was checking my bank account online and found two fees from Suntrust. One was $36 fo...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Suntrust.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug