• show-popup

Shares 0

Straight Talk Wireless - Straight Talk "unlimited data" scam.

• by   Jan 27, 2012
  • 48 comments
  • Review #: 292408
Company Straight Talk Wireless
Location York, Pennsylvania
Category Cellular Phone
Views 4525

I purchased a Straight Talk smart phone for my daughter and set up auto-refill to pay for the unlimited data plan.
Three weeks ago, the data service was shut off. My daughter called them to report the Internet was inaccessible, but gave up after being transferred through several foreign representatives whose command of English was so poor she couldn't understand them. She still had phone service, so she assumed they would fix the data when her service refilled.
Straight Talk sent me a notice that they were processing the credit card payment on January 21st, and notice that they had refilled the service on January 25th. My credit card statement reports the charge went through on January 23rd. However, the phone was deactivated on the 23rd.
When I called to find out why the phone wasn't working, they said it had been shut off due to "excessive data use". When I asked how somebody could use too much data on an unlimited plan, they refused to explain and said they had to question the user about her data use. I explained that would be difficult, considering she couldn't use the phone, and was told the phone would not be turned back on until she called them and they hung up on me.
So, it was obvious that they had arbitrarily turned off her data service, with no notice to anyone, and then drafted money for the next month of service, knowing that they were not going to provide service. I think that's called FRAUD.
Their customer service is absolutely horrible. Every time you call, you are transferred from one representative to another and none of them speak English well enough to carry on any semblance of a functional conversation. Frankly, I suspect this is an offshore company hiding behind a Miami address. Every person I have spoken to (bar none) talks in heavily accented Indian.
I am currently filing complaints with the FCC, the Florida State Attorney Generals Offices and the Florida Public Utilities Commission. I would recommend nobody dealing with this company.
308a5ac

Comments (48) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 48 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Dec 28, 2013  from Maryland Line, Maryland
Yep they got me,, I was locked in Verizon unlimited service and was thinking I could save with straight talk unlimited and now I see they sure can lie, they tell you that you have 2.5G high speed then cut you back, Well I only have 300MB with slow speeds .
On speed test I get download 0.45 and upload 0.48
They own us all for the lie that they tell.

Maryland...
Reply to NoBull

Oct 15, 2013
you are 100 % right. . Jes, we nit able to transfer yuor numare" is my gripe with Haji Sheiks
:p
Reply to deadtired

Sep 11, 2013  from New Castle, Delaware
What a joke! I called up and got through to the customer service in Guatamala (6 times of me asking him where he was located, and he kept saying that the headquarters was in Miami), and he told me the unlimited data is only if I use it in my house on my wi-fi. I asked him how I can use the GPS in my family room - he kept saying "in paragraph 6 & 7 it says unlimited data" but "does not say the data connection is provided by (them)"
Reply to Stay Away From Straight Talk U

Jul 03, 2013  from Flomaton, Alabama
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me and they also told me that I used too much data that I would have to purchase another service card to start my services... now granted that I had refilled my plan only 2 weeks before so I ask how is it possible to ALL UNLIMITED data in two weeks.
Reply to Poboy

Jun 10, 2013  from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I threw the phone away and fought with trac phone via the bbb for a month and finally finally got my money back for the month of service I got screwed out of. I too have gone to spring and millions of mb later, still not cut off or slowed down. Straight talk is one of the biggest scams I've ever seen. Grr
Reply to mynistac

Aug 19, 2013  from Wichita Falls, Texas
wait so now no more data execution :D please tell me how i can get your results :'c
Reply to Stephen

Jun 10, 2013  from Dumas, Texas
Straight talks unlimited data is bullsh!t I had them for about 6mo. I work shift work 12hr with quite a bit of downtime so I would watch netflix and youtube quite often on my phone, they cancelled my PHONE for using to much data, no tethering just an android phone. the only way to continue using there service would me to buy another phone. Straight talk=Scam read the fine print. Switched to Sprint, unlimited data no slow slow downs on my speeds. Yea I pay more but at least there advertising is honest.
Reply to Fedup

Jun 07, 2013
REPORT Them to the better business bureau because that is false advertising
Reply to John

Jun 02, 2013  from Lacey, Washington
:( same *** thing just happened to me with my straight talk phone. How in the *** are you going to advertize UNLIMITED SERVICE then say your using to much data so im cutting you off. I guess ill have to switch to someone that isnt into false advertizing. so pissed. And im not racist but THIS IS AMERICA AND HERE WE SPEAK ENGLISH! GIVE ME SOMEONE THAT SPEAKS AND SOUNDS ENGLISH NOT INDIAN. and im sorry they DO NOT so from the philippines at all.
Reply to mimiknight

Apr 30, 2013  from Livonia, Michigan
Tracfone owns Straight talk. And yes the support people are in the Philippines and you're wasting your time talking to them about almost any issue. They can be pretty rude and surly. I simply wrote to the CEO of Tracfone and got an exec assistant to handle the issues. Problem solved until now and now I have to find out why I can't get on the internet. I rarely use my phone and I check email and look up a store or restaurant occasionally. It's looking for like a class action law suit is the only solution.
Reply to Deckhand

Sep 17, 2013
Call your local county court house in small claims. Ask then how things would work if you are not in Florida. Ask if judgement is given to you can they garnish or tap into straight talk account with a court order. If so file pro-se or without an attorney.
Reply to Danny

Apr 29, 2013  from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I have never tethered nor have I done continuous streaming. The unlimited plan that I pay for says if the internet usage becomes burdensome. What is burdensome? I just refilled my service yesterday and today they flag my account and shut off my data. No warning. I called in to tech support to find out why my data wasn't working. Even the tech support person said no one knows the limit of the unlimited data. Refused for over an hour to transfer me to a supervisor. Then when they transfer you to the "department" that explains the reason for no data, its a recording of the tos. Then I find out that because they flagged my account a couple of hours AFTER they took the money out of my account for the refill, I have to go without internet for the rest of the month. No refund, no supervisor, just no no no. Wtf kind of scam are they running??? I for one am filing a complaint and am going to speak to a lawyer. False advertising, theft, scam, anything I can possibly get them for. I paid for services not being rendered. Not gonna take it lying down. :(
Reply to mynistac

Apr 27, 2013  from Fort Myers, Florida
I have worked in the IT industry for the last 17 years, and there is one correction I would like to point out i the OP's post, ST's customer service is based to Philippines, not India.

Indian outsourcing has become more upscale, the typical Indian corporation is only accepting more complex projects and are no longer interested in handling customer service calls. Indian companies are now outsourcing these kind of more mundane tasks to Philippines. So the accent you were hearing was Philippino accent.

Back to the topic, my data service has been disconnected for last 1 week.

I called them yesterday and they kept repeating same thing about points 6 & 7 on the service contract. I raised *** and practically verbally abused the Philippino on the other side.

I went up to his manager but the lady couldn't do anything, she couldn't even tell me what amount of data I had used. I think this company in Miami has off-shored this task to Philippines to avoid scrutiny and they know that Philippians will take any verbal abuse from Americans.

Anyhoo, they finally gave me a US number, 800 8677183 that I am supposed to call only on weekdays. Assuming this is the correct number, I will give these guys a verbal lashing.

Feb 10
That is same number for "problem customer" for net10! :)

Mar 29, 2013  from Taneytown, Maryland
Today I got the prerecorded message stating my data usage is to high. This came as a huge shock. I have had the same service for about 3 years and never had a problem (with the exception of the very poor customer service). Actually quite the opposite, I constantly try to convince friends and family to switch. I recently (about 3 months ago) got a new unlocked at&t phone and am assuming that's what triggered this issue. After reading these posts I am extremely concerned with what comes next and what to do about this situation. I know very little when it comes to modern technology and am very unsure what my options are. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! :?

Mar 23, 2013  from Irondequoit, New York
My phone worked perfect for 3 months then the data was being shut off by them daily. I kept calling and they are clueless as to why. Sent me to supervisor then to a manager. I believe we narrowed it down. This is unlimited data but to a point. You CANT watch NETFLIX unless using wifi. They dont allow continous streaming video. You cant go onto youtube and play long continuous video. Have to keep it basic. I also was uploading all my pics and videos to a backup program online. Cant do that either. I have samsung galaxy s3 so I can set that to do that only when using Wifi. So you can go onlineto use facebook like crazy. Go to straight talk web site and click Terms & Aggreement and read section #6.
Reply to ST User

Mar 15, 2013  from Birmingham, Alabama
I have been shunted to a recording giving advice about "usage". I have been on hold for about 2.5 HOURS each day over a 7 day period trying to get the phone fixed. I've been passed from rep to rep, I've called track phone and straight talk gotten the run around ad nasuim!! the phone has been in use for over 1 year with no problems. I've even tryed to get onto the straight talk forum (no comformation e-mail was sent to alow access) to get help. You guys are saying that even if I pay for another month i will be cut off? is that correct? I may swich to Tmobile for their "unlimmited" plan. Id like to know what Fed law is broken when they are monitering our usage??
What a bait and swich scam!!! TONNES of fed laws are broken due to scam fraud nature of Straightalk!! :(
Reply to workingman

May 01, 2013  from Tallahassee, Florida
Watch out for T-Mobile or Simple Mobile... They say unlimited but when you hit 5GB data they then either cut you off or drop you to speeds slower than dial Up

Sprint is truly only unlimited, but... Only if you reside on their 4G network otherwise 3G or less is capped at 5GBs... This is in their fine print I believe, if not I actually got it of multpile techs assisting me with my phone when pushed about why I should upgrade.

Verizon does not appear to be offering unlimited; except, to Business accounts or possibly only Not-For-Profits where I work...
Reply to What's Sup...

Mar 13, 2013  from Lawrenceville, Georgia
I've used straight talk unlimited service for a few years and have had no such problems.
Reply to Leslie

Read next Straight Talk Wireless complaint

RUN RUN RUN YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

My contract just ended with att so I thought I would save a little money and try straight talk for...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Straight Talk Wireless.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug