• show-popup

Product / Service Home Insurance
Location Dallas, Texas
Category Property Insurance
Views 458

State Farm has cancelled our home owner's insurance after 12 years on the basis of the number of claims filed. One was a false liability claim that was never paid out. The others were all the result of wind or hail damage to our home.

The amount we have paid in insurance premiums doesn't even come close to the amount they have paid out to settle these claims. Are we supposed to leave damage unrepaired when we are trying to sell our home?

No one warned us that filing a claim could endanger our policy.

I'll never use State Farm again. 2eea2ce

Comments (18) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Jan 21
We paid in for over 20 years and then had 2 claims with nothought that there would ve a problem, then got cancelled too. We are moving all our cars, very disgusted with State Farm now!
Reply to anon

Aug 12, 2013  from Noblesville, Indiana
I am pissed at the insurance companies these days, They suck!! all of them for any reason that you might need to have insurance for. They want your money but gives you nothing I mean nothing when you need it. If you have to deal with it yourself or pay for your own repairs, why in the *** do we have to give them our money. Like I said they all suck.. SUCK BALLS!!! and having to go from paying 800 to 3000 a year sucks even worse.
Reply to Anonymous

May 31, 2013  from Duncan, Oklahoma
they just cancelled ours for 3 claims due to hail damage on our roof in 25 years. the thing that burns my butt is that the adjustor decides if repairs are needed not us. we called and asked them to look and they decided it needed replacing. Seems to me they should educate their adjustors a little more. Our agent is acting on our behalf. I thought they used to be a good company but now I am not so sure. I guess we should have let the roof leak and when we filed a claim it would have been triple the amount to replace the roof, ceilings, furniture, and whatever else was damaged.
Reply to Jerry

Jun 27, 2012
Yes..they did the same thing to us, after 35 years and only 3 claims during that time from weather issues. Seems perhaps State Farm loves to collect premiums though. Maybe they should get out of the insurance business...after all isn't that why we buy insurance???
Reply to Chino Home

Nov 23, 2012  from Sugar Land, Texas
I just got a letter today telling me my homeowners ins. will not be renews because we did not give them verification of repairs. We had a water leak outside our home and we though it was under the house, but it was just a small pipe that broke. Had it fixed almost two years ago, we have had this policy for almost 36 years, what a sorry thing to do, and what I can't understand is why they waited until now to do this. Like I said it's only been almost 2 years since we had this leak.
Reply to Mickey

Jan 01  from Los Angeles, California
It's the banks who hold your loan, if you still have mortgage, that push for homeowner's to cover their assets or liens in case of a fire. Also, if some one falls in your driveway and requires medical attention, the insurance kicks in with 1000 - 5000 for medical. If the injured person wants to sue you above and beyond the 5000, I believe the insurance is out of it. If it wasn't for the banks wanting you to have insurance, most homeownwer's would not have them for obvious reasons mentioned on this chat board.
Reply to mrfutbol

Dec 17, 2011
the no.of claims will continue to increase as people file ho claims as u have pointed out, why did u have so many claims when your neighbors probably had none
Reply to j. buttfire

Dec 14, 2011
I was with them for 33 years and due to weather I had claims so I paid out extra money to change different ways to prevent from happening again and they canceled my homeowners. I had a quote from Allstate for my car that was 400.00 less a year but I wanted to stay with state farm so I took less coverage on my car. Yes I will change my cars and never give state farm another dime.
Reply to Tori S

Jul 14, 2011  from Maldonado, Maldonado
So are we forgetting that insurance is a contract whereby you transfer risk to someone else in exchange for premium? They are not obligated to take your risk if your risk is a bad one. If you file multiple claims (for the same type of loss no less) you have proven to the company that you are not a risk they wish to take.
Reply to Guy

Nov 23, 2012  from Sugar Land, Texas
So why have ins?
Reply to Mickey

Aug 12, 2013  from Noblesville, Indiana
you must work for the insurance company, I thought that the reason to have insurance is to protect you when you need it. If thats not the case why should we be obligated to pay insurance at all. I say obligated because I have to covered not by choice.
Reply to Anonymous

Jan 01  from Los Angeles, California
Hey Guy, how about recurring natural disasters? Are homeowner's insureds not supposed to report damages because of fear of being dropped? Under risk, what are isnsurances worth for then? Two claims or three, it should not matter, this is why you pay so much year-in-and-out for coverages, in some instances, beyond your control. Insuarances play a dirty quota game under "risk" and consumers seem to have taken it sitting down, have not done anything to change this trend against them.
Reply to mrfutbol

Jul 11, 2011
Rick, 12 years is an eternity. State Farm cancels anyone with 3 claims in 3 years. Doesn't matter whether it is covered or not. No agents appeal, no exceptions. Employees are even cancelled. This is not the same company you gave so many years of service to.
Reply to Eagle1

Jun 10, 2011
If you think State Farm Ins is bad or unfair, check their nearest competitor All State Ins. You will probably be cancelled for the first claim! As a retired State Farm Agent, this company has been rated number 1 since the beginning. Since I don't know "details" of your claims, it is hard to analyze your cancellation. It was probably for a good reason and justified. However, your agent should have reviewed the situation and appealed it you think it was unjustified. This is important, since this Cancellation is probably in your new carriers file. Other than statistics provided in the business world, taking my personal experience, with over 3,500 plus families and 40 plus yrs of service, I have had only 1 account cancelled and it was for fraud proven by the police department. Having been retired over 12 yrs. I've noticed that the quality of Agents have sufferred tremendously. This is due to a few changes in Agency Contracts and Incentives. In any event, State Farm is one of the companies that will literally "listen" to your complaint and usually justify it in writing.
Reply to Rick Reyes

May 05, 2013  from Omaha, Nebraska
We had a fire that destroyed all that we owned. We had one claim for wind damage to our roof about 2 years prior to that.
The fire devastated our family. But if that wasn't enough, State Farm cancelled our coverage for filing a claim for the fire loss. What were we supposed to do rebuild our home out of our own pockets?
Reply to Ronnie

Jan 01  from Los Angeles, California
Ronnie, sorry that you were possibly left out without insurance, hopefully you have been able to reinstate it by now, as the bank which holds your mortgage may require it until you pay them off.

You have to fight them on your own, don't hire attorneys. Do your own legwork, research with whatever agency is out there to "protect" the consumer from unjustifiable cause of action from multimillion corporates.
Reply to iwouldnthesitate

Jun 10, 2011  from Kholargos, Attiki
Learned a lesson, did'nt you? Filing claims for every little bit of hail/wind damage,
So just shut up and deal with it!!!
Reply to WTF???

Aug 02, 2013
Not every little bit. The adjustor came out and made the determination to replace our roof after hail damage. Deal with it??!!!
Reply to Ranger

Read next State Farm Insurance complaint

State Farm; Fraud and Bad faith

Long story short, had a modified vehicles registered and insured as such with state farm.After havin...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about State Farm Insurance.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug