• show-popup

Shares 0

Avoid Skylight Visa for Direct Deposit or it will cost you!

Company Skylight Visa
Product / Service Prepaid Debit Card
Location Tulsa, Oklahoma
Category Credit Cards
Views 1275
Monetary Loss

Skylight Visa was recommended by my employer last year, as they were trying to convert to only electronic payroll. You could choose your own bank, and if you did not have a bank or preferred to get you paycheck deposited elsewhere, Skylight was given as an option. I have a checking account, but prefer to keep my payroll separate, so I chose Skylight. Big mistake! Skylight is a prepaid debit card that makes it's money from fees. If you make more than 1 ATM withdrawal per pay period, it's going to cost you $2 (on top of what the ATM is going to charge). Need gas? You better make sure you have not only the amount that you're putting in gas, but whatever amount the gas station uses to authorize the transaction (usually $75-$100). If you only have the $30 you were planning to put in gas, your card will get declined & you will have to pay $1.50 fee. All of these fees seem pretty normal, but when you combine the horrible customer service when you call to inquire about these fees, plus no list of fees before or after they are incurred, and it seems like they can charge you whatever they please.

The breaking point for me was when I visited a "free of charge" ATM that was listed on their website. I was making a $120 withdrawal when the ATM malfunctioned & did not dispense any cash. A frustrating situation for sure. I called the company that owns the ATM who told me to contact my "bank" and have then file a Regulation E form. The CSR I spoke to could see that the ATM did indeed malfunction.

When I called Skylight Visa I was rudely told that I had to fax in basic information, and if the investigation showed that I had not received any cash, I MAY receive a provisional credit in 10 business days! They were so rude about it, and it seemed to me they were insinuating I was being dishonest by their attitude. I have had to file disputes 2 times with 2 different (real) banks, and they were always courteous & professional. Not with Skylight. All I can do now is wait & close my account after I get my money back...if I get my money back. I realize that these things must be investigated, but when you are being treated poorly while being told to wait, it makes a huge difference.

$120 is not much, but in these tough times, $120 could mean the difference between eating this week or not. Luckily $120 isn't breaking me, but I know it would mean a lot to some people. Especially to the consumer that prepaid cards target.

It's just shady business, especially when it seems like the 2 companies are in cohorts, when Skylight recommends you use this particular ATM to avoid fees. Yeah, right. It just cost me $120. 302fe1b

Comments (34) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 34 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Apr 11
Crooks!! Don't get this card and if you do have it please cancel for your own good they charged me 175 $ in fee! They are racking up fees then take them all at once so you don't know your being charged tell it's to late! Legal ?? Shouldn't be my name is john and I'm not feeding my kids this week having to ask my friends for food
Reply to John

Apr 03  from Las Vegas, Nevada
Fu*k skylight I tried to take my money off my card because my name was
Not unbiased on my card the transaction took the money 3061.95 I called skylight first they told me 10 days ok ill wait ......so from 2/21/14 to 3/07/14 I called back they told me 45 more days so I call the other company they aproved a chargeback for the funds on
3/7/14 skylight recived the funds direct but when I call in they told me I still have to wait till there dispute process is over and NO (rudely) they don't see the funds so I called in with the other party on the line they gave them way more curtisy and info ans still no money then the put my next deposit on hold pending the out come of the despute what the *** its 4/3/14 I can't use my old money or my new deposit closing this sh*t asaigmm ( as soon as I get my money)
Reply to bam bam

Mar 16  from Oakland, California
If you have skylight and you want to get gas.
Don't use the machine outside..go inside the store and get gas ..
They hold your money for a certain amount of days (depending on which had station you went to..the reason is because when you use the machine outside they don't ask for your PIN number , they only ask for a zip code ..so they wanna make sure the transaction goes through .so they hold extra money. ...
My girlfriend works at Khols and she been thru *** and back with skylight lol
Reply to Domo

Mar 13
i don't know who send me my skylight pay card but do i have to activate it and use it or leave it and does it put me in a problem?
Reply to mikey22

Feb 08  from Preston, Maryland
Kohl's is in cahoots with these people. They screwed my daughter in law every week. She ended up "owing" $800 and something to them but after leaving Kohl's all of a sudden the charges are gone(Thank God)but no clue as to why they said it to begin with. They are frauds as well as Kohl's.
Reply to anonymous

Feb 01  from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
What is the max of money I can take out
On my sky light card?
Reply to buddah

Jan 28  from Miami Beach, Florida
I agree its horrible to deal with these people i had fradulant chare in my account ty hey advice it will be 10 buisness days not tru now they tell me not until another 3 more days should have an answer by now other banks would have givin me a provesional credit addionally i woyld get charge to speak to a rep.
Reply to poly

Jan 23
i had skylight for 4 years never had a problem until recently my credit card information was stolen and charged almost 200 dollars well they told me it take up to 90 days to get my money back after being on the phone with these people for hours trying to understand them they use to be americans when i first got the card but like everything its been outsourced to india and is impossible to deal with them now the last thing you want when your going throgh a problem is to try to understand what there saying through there accent ive already switch to a real bank after my credit card information and i noticed how diffcult it was to receive my money back i was done with them oh and they allowed my card to be charged again after never had any problems other then that but if u ever have a real problem dealing with them is a pain so just beware
Reply to amanda

Jan 04
Ive had skylight for about eight years and i havent had a problem until recently ....my checks are always pending by five pm on fridays and im alay paid between seven and nine pm until november 2013 its pending the whole weekend.end and i dont get paid till monday mornings between 1 and 5 am. Then recently i was charged two overdraft protection fees at the same time in december for two transactions from november that the said oops we forgot to charge you last month and no one can speak proper english ...i think its time to say goodbye skylight
Reply to irritated

Jan 03
I got this card because I did not give my bank information to my manager soon enough. I was paid just today with almost $130 and just bought $10 in gas. Now it says I'm -$2.00! How?? And of course their number doesn't give the option of talking to real people. Now I have half a tank of gas to last me a week. :(
Reply to Angry Payless Associate1

Dec 30, 2013
I am another unhappy camper. My card was hacked. So I canceled it and payed twenty dollars. For a new card with new account numbers. So a month later I got hacked again. But they used the canceled card. I called them. They said that I never canceled that card. Why would I get another. Now they say it has to be investigated. And can't get my money back for 45 to 90 days. Legal criminals that's what they are. Stay away. And yes they hung up on me too.
Reply to Taken

Dec 05, 2013  from Bloomfield, Indiana
So here it is 6:37 CT, and the customer service line is supposed to be open. However, the automated system keeps telling me to call back during business hours.

I can't view my info online because it wants me to fax my social security card, driver's license, and utility bill to verify my identity. Or I can upload it through their secure site...but guess what, no link available to the secure site.

Bogus card. Get direct deposit. No hassle, no fees, and access to direct customer service.
Reply to AvoidSkylight

Nov 19, 2013
My son has the card because he works at Taco Bell, and he put $25 in gas this morning and got charged $55. We are getting rid of this card this week!!!!! :(
Reply to annoyed

Nov 15, 2013
*** skylight refuses to give me my whole check they say I have 448 in my account and won't let me pull out over 200 they split my pay so they can collect their *** fees and every atm I go to now if I try to make a withdrawl it sais "withdraw limit already exceeded" *** this company do not go with skyligh at all.

Nov 12, 2013  from Bangor, Maine
Hey J and E its not just the fees, I cant get into my account to save my life. I had no problems for three months or so. Yet now its impossible to het in, they tell me my card isnt registered on the site, but if its not registed how was I.able to see all my other transactions up till now? Since when does customer service charge a fee?? To speak with a live person I was informed there wouldbe a fee... This is crazy, whatever happened to a paper check >.
Reply to Yoda

Nov 02, 2013  from Stow, Ohio
I have that card and they just charged me $10 for paying at the pump instead of inside. Majorly pissed off right now!!!!

Oct 28, 2013
Here's my sitiuation... the money from my employer hits the payroll dept at 7:30 thursday morning. To the financial institution my employer banks with and posts to the payroll card within 24 hours.. here it is 96 hours later and I still have yet to recieve any form of payment. The money is no longer in my employers acount, nor is it at the financial institution. Soo where did it go? I call skylight and get a live person who I can barely understand. To tell me that I just have to wait. And that there are no pending transactions. I ask to speak to his supervisor. And he informs me that he is a supervisor. Okay. So you must have a supervisor that is above you.... "no sir I'm the highest one here" imposible. There is no way that you don't have a supervisor, you don't own the company your sitting at your desk answering phones. And when I ask him for his name and identification he did not want to supply me with it. I demanded that he transfers my call to the hr or corporate hq office. He then hung up on me. I will be contacting a lawyer to have a conversation the chairholder of

Sep 19, 2013
:( I am really upset with this company...they are so quick to take your money for ANY LITTLE THING! Customer service is some *** and frustrating..the website acts as if my password is wrong & I can't look at my transcations plus I only recieved 2 statements from them and I've been working for 8 months now. I'm just ready to close that *** account and go to a real bank!!!

Aug 14, 2013  from Tampa, Florida
I am in the same boat. There is supposedly an ATM the is a "NO Surcharge" one but I have been charged $1.50 for transactions for over a year. I call Customer Service and all I ever get is there is a charge from Skylight, not from the bank. I asked them to show me or direct me to where it is written in the contract or the anywhere. I'm put on hold and a few minutes later they hang up. Getting in touch with FDIC, FCC and whomever controls such institutions. I may even start a class action against them.
Reply to Karate Kid

Aug 01, 2013  from Brooklyn, New York
I find it funny how the people who dont have problems with the card are single lettered customers. If a majority of people find the product to be faulty then its most likely faulty. I also work for Khols and they offered me the card. I have it and get paid between 6 pm -11 pm Thursdays. Only problem I have its customer service and the website. Customer service never answers and the website acts like my password is wrong. Soon I'll be back on my Bank of America account and done with skylight.
Reply to Brooklyn

Read next Skylight Visa complaint

Skylight One Visa card sint working for online...

OK so well i got my Sky light visa one card from my job instead of getting a pay check and it wont l...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Skylight Visa.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug