• show-popup

Company SAMS Club
Location Washington, District Of Columbia
Category Supermarkets and Malls
Views 919

I won a bid for 2.5 gal beverage dispenser on Sam's Club online auction for $1.One would think - great deal- however, the email confirmation stated the shipping/handling fee was $60!

Talking about price gouging and deceit!!

When I called their customer service was that $60 fees remain even if the item was returned! How did a $1 item become $61? Totally unfair and outrageous!

Be careful that it doesn't happen to you, and voice your complaint(s) when you feel you have been wronged.This was definitely wrong, and hope others learn from this situation. 305d80c

Comments (33) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 33 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Apr 21
It has been problematic on this auction website for years. Yes, they do charge you VERY high shipping and handling fees for no obvious reason. I was told that the website was outsourced to a 3rd party.
Recently I experienced even more severe issues, three times in a row that they cancelled my won bids. I was told that they don't have the merchandise that was on auction, and sorry. Are you serious?!
Someone has to clean up this shop ASAP as Sams Club is a legitimate company. Tks.
Reply to GG

Apr 14  from Lima, Ohio
I sure wish I would have read these comments before I ever bid on a Sam's Club auction and have them keep my money for a month!~
Reply to buckeyelady

Apr 14  from Lima, Ohio
Sam's Club Auctions are really a shame and an outrage to Sam's Club patrons. Won a dyson sweeper on the auction site and received a *** computer office briefcase piece of ***. Had to wait until Sam's Club received the wrong item they sent us to get the $300+ refund due on our sweeper. Are you kidding me????? Three weeks later they say they processed our credit but will probably take 3-5 days to hit our credit card. In the meantime, we will be charged interest on the money for a sweeper they never sent us. What a sham, what a mess, what a shame, in excusable, an outrage! DO NOT PURCHASE ITEMS OFF OF THEIR AUCTIONS! Way too much hassle, expense, etc. Customer Service is a joke, they keep saying "we do apologize for your inconvenience..." over and over. YES, IT IS A HUGE INCONVENIENCE. GET OVER YOURSELF AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS OR SHUT YOUR WEBSITE DOWN.
Reply to buckeyelady

Jan 17
I checked around the Internet and this seems to happen frequently...
Final email:
The fact that the item is still in stock for purchase and delivery throughout this whole ordeal and I still couldn't get that order/auction filled just boggles the mind. I don't care about the $25 dollar gift card just like Sam's (and Walmart for that matter) does not care about its customers. I'll exercise my only real purchasing power and both Sam's Club and Walmart won't see any more of my money cross their books. I'll be sure to share this dreadful experience with everyone I know. I want no further business with either related companies.
Me
On 1/10/2014 1:52 PM, mserve@samsclub.com wrote:
> To help us provide the best service possible to you, please do not change the subject of, or any replies to, this email. > > To Me: > > Thank you for contacting Sam's Club in regards to your recent inquiry concerning an inventory issue. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. There was as system issue that resulted in items being automatically relisted when they were in fact out of stock. We are still working to identify all of the items and the member's that has been affected by this issue. We would like to offer you a $25 Gift card for the inconvenience. Please reply back with the complete address you would like the giftcard sent to. > > If you need further assistance regarding other issues, please use our Answer Center located
... Show more
Reply to Lesson Learned

Jan 05
I had good luck on a set of sterling silver bracelets - I paid $40.00 and they had them in the store for $119.00 - and a ring that I got for $100.00 and was in the store for $250.00. If you find something you like I would recommend going to the store and finding the item there and seeing what it sells for. You don't want to pay too much which can easily happen. I was charged $6.00 for shipping and handling so I didn't have any complaints there but I agree with the original poster that it can be a big deal on a large item.

Dec 23, 2013  from Raleigh, North Carolina
I won a bid for a television, thinking I was getting a good price. They socked me for 83.00 in shipping charges, making it no deal at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. I also will no longer continue to renew my membership and will never buy another item from them EVER!!!!
Reply to Tina

Dec 17, 2013
On Dec 8th, 2013 I placed an order for an ipad mini for my husband's birthday along with another item order#2422873992. I received a confirmation of my order with approximate arrival date. However, the day before I suppose to receive the ipad they sent me a Cancellation of order e-mail. Saying that they are sorry but have to cancel my order. I sent them an e-mail and told them that what they have done is wrong and asked for a call back. Waited two days and on Dec 13th I called their Customer Service center. A young lady named Lisa tried to help me and told me that she does not understand why they cancelled my order. She asked me to place the order again and told me that they will express my order at no charge and that she has got the ok from her supervisor. I place the order again order# 2459500959 . I waited until today and instead of my ipad I recieved another "Sorry but we have cancel your order" e-mail again. I called their CS again and asked to talk to a supervisor after waiting for a while a lady name Marie got on the phone with me. She said the reason they cancelled my order both time is because they don't have the item on stock. I told her but I see it on your site and it does not say "out of stock" she said "that is correct" she continued with; we won't say out of stock bit we sure and let you know that we cannot fulfill your order. I thought I was in an episode of Hillbilly show. I told her but that is not right and she said well that is how it is done here and... Show more
Reply to rippedoff

Dec 07, 2013
You have to review the bids. I was bidding on some folding chairs. They were selling on average for about $8.00 to $10.00 each. When I researched the shipping and handling it was $ like $22.00 a chair.
I bowed out. The information is posted when you submit a bid. Sometimes the shipping costs are extreme. On average if you watch you can still get some good deals. Buyer Beware.
Reply to Brian

Nov 24, 2013
when bidding on a high priced item, the bid history showed no bids since 1043 pm. i raised my bid st 1138 and i noticed the message stated i was outbid. bid history showed i was outbid at 1043, my bid was registered at 1138. bid again at 1151, which the bid history register as such,but out bid at 1043 again

TELL ME THEY ARE STRAIGHT UP.....AND THEY DON'T USED BID BOTS....AND I WILL TELL YOU ARE MORE THAN NAIVE
Reply to mt 1

Nov 07, 2013
Just as recent as today 7-Nov-2013 it happened again. I never searched for issue with Sam's Club Auction, I should have before being burned!

Won bid for "Canon EOS Rebel 60D DSLR Camera Bundle with 18-135mm Lens, 70-300mm Lens, 8GB SD Card, and Camera Bag - 165879". Order confirmation reads above line exactly paid a reasonable price of course. Received item was missing 70-300mm lens! My first thought may be a mistake, but no. Called customer service she created "ticket" and informed me that Order Department will call you in 2-3 business days. Never got a call. I called again they gave me another ticket and told they will within few hours. Within 30 mins I got email from fedex with RMA and shipping label! No calls. I called again and the lady told me "all auctions are as is" I said Ok I understand but auction are as is if order something and I say I don't like it. She said you return the item if you don't like or you can keep it! I again tried to explain to her in simple terms. If I order Nikon camera and I receive the Nikon camera and if I say 'you know, I don't like Nikon can you send me Canon as replacement' then it make sense that you can say "all orders are as is" But I paid for full items and I received only half order and you are saying keep it if you like! What!?

Reaping off. I am not sure whom to contact because all I hear from customer service was hey I do apologize for the inconvenience, but there is nothing I can do.
This sort of
... Show more
Reply to burnedbyacution

Nov 06, 2013
Another terrible SAMs club story. Not surprising.

Oct 21, 2013
Updates show shipping and taxes before you complete bid....

Oct 08, 2013  from Valencia, California
If you file a complaint with bbb they will refund the outrageous shipping charges. I was successful doing so.
Reply to fastjulio

Oct 08, 2013
It tells how much shipping is before you confirm your bid
All you have to do is look and cancel before bid is placed

Aug 16, 2013  from Fraser, Michigan
Don't shop here! Very Simple!
Reply to dewey4545

Mar 28, 2013  from Tucson, Arizona
The customer service for the auction Items suck big time. I won a bid for a computer, and gave all my information however after checking the status, they said that my information needed to be verified, I thought okay simple let me talk to someone, low and behold no one to transfer to they all went home, took my name and number with the thought someone would return my call. No return call, called back I now get information that they don't have the computer they put on auction, okay I asked why they would advertise a item they don't have, no one can answer me, I as to speak to the department and the rep told me she could only take a message, I got really upset with her, i am sure no fault of her own, and demanded to speak to a supervisor, I spoke with a supervisor and she couldn't tell me if the issue had to do with no item or my information, which is *** because I use the same cc on every purchase and have never had a issue, I told the supervisor how unprofessional this is, and she did apologize however no immediate solution. I was told she would call me back and of course she didn't so I called and they kept telling me she was on another call, finally I demanded she call me back and withing 30 minutes I got a call with still no answers, Day 4 I called and I can't talk to the people again who supposedly said they tried to call me and left a message, I called *** on that one, because I purposely carried my cell phone everywhere, including the rest room. These people are liars,... Show more
Reply to juliebratus

Nov 06, 2013  from Salt Lake City, Utah
Yup same thing here. I have over 9 items that they cancelled after I won them.
No answers to the issue at hand.three supervisors later and same run around.
One representative called telling me I would receive a 25.oo gift card for my troubles. Yeah right. Three months later no gift card yet.
Reply to Coach24

Mar 27, 2013  from Valencia, California
Over charged for freight on auction items.
I won a bid for a FOG COMFORTER/GREY FULL/QUEEN for $9 on their Auction website and was charged $41.36 for freight. The same exact item but a King size gets charged freight at $6.36. I feel this is misleading the consumer to bet on items in their auction site thinking they are getting a good deal, but in reality they make up the cost on the freight. I filled a complaint with the BBB Better Business Bureau and Sam's Club sent me this email. "Thank you for being a Sam's Club Member. We apologize for any inconveniences this might have caused. After full review of your auction order, we have issued a price match refund of $35.00 to your order from that actual quote of $6.36. You should see this credit in 3-5 business days and if you don't please contact me directly and I will be able to track the refund after 24 hours."

The button line is that when items start running out of time with a low bid, the freight charge starts to increase. I am sure this is some how computer generated to cover the cost of an item if someone wins a bid for $1.00. This is BS "Bad Business" We should file a Class Action Lawsuit against them.
Reply to fastjulio

Nov 06, 2013  from Salt Lake City, Utah
Agreed ,I have seen the same curious changes with no answers
Reply to Coach24

Oct 20, 2012
the bids are incremented by 1 dollar so if someone has set a higher bid than what you bid their next bid is automatically $1 higher than your bid. shipping is also displayed before your bid is submitted
Reply to mark s

Read next SAMS Club complaint

Sam's Club Optical

I had an app. at 12:15 and arrived on time. I checked in and was asked to take a seat. Talking with...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about SAMS Club.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug