• show-popup

Shares 0

Sallie Mae Stole My Tax Refund!

Company Sallie Mae
Location St. Louis, Missouri
Category Loans and Mortgages
Views 1692
Monetary Loss

Sallie Mae is sitting on my tax refund!On Dec.

13th, I have been told by Sallie Mae, a batch of previous borrowers were incorrectly added to the treasury off-set program, resulting in God knows how many peoples' refunds being taken away from them mistakenly. Since the amount is used for security questions and such, I can only say it was well over $2000. I have been calling everyday since January 29th, my expected refund deposit date, and everyday someone tells me another day that the check will be in the mail. They refuse to refund my money and I am losing my car and my transportation to school and to work.

I am a landscaper and I depend on my tax refund as income during the slow winter months. When I am called back to work in a couple of weeks, I will have to decline as I will not have transportation. As of 2/18/2010 they are telling me they will mail me MY money next Wednesday. That is too late to receive funds to make my LAST car payment, and I will lose my ca
r as a result.

I've had it up to hear with this non-sense and I hope my comment reaches someone, I hope someone has had the same experience, and I *** to GOD there is some sort fo legal action I can take for their 'computer error'. I suspect the broke Sallie Mae is earning interest and investing our cash in short-selling stocks in order to make a quick buck, but who knows?

Who cares?I WANT MY MONEY YESTERDAY!!! 2d8f549

Comments (27) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 27 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Jan 25, 2013
I dont get why you are all complaining? I have over 60k in sallie mae debt, and I totally agree the interest they charge is down right outrageous! I've paid so much extra money to them it's insane, but you know what? I took the money out, I signed the loan docs, there for I will pay. it. back. No one forced you to go to college and take out loans! You're the *** who went to art school - what the *** kind of job did you think you were going to get knowing you were going into debt taking out loans? This is what is wrong with Americans, absolutely no accountability! I've been working a job for the 6 years since I've graduated on a sucky salary and have put all my money towards my loans - I've even had a second job for that very reason. I dont go on vacation, I dont waste my money on *** or at the bar/restaurant...and I'm ALMOST done paying off my debts...so get a clue people - you took the money out so now you have to pay it back! If you loaned Sallie Mae 50k to go to school, you sure wouldn't be mad if you took their tax returns, right?
Reply to paidmydebts

Oct 27, 2012
boy u are stfu u probably don't pay your fckin loans off either trying to make yourself look good.I say all schools online a piece of *** and a scam *** some jobs don't even take degrees mostly if u got it online!!!!!
Reply to fuck yall and everyone else

Aug 09, 2012
Contact an attorney who does consumer protection law.

I too have an issue with Sallie Mae where I did a loan consolidation for 3%. After I sent in the paper work, Sallie Mae dragged there feet on the consolidation, then stated in a letter that my references were not good enough even though they are the same references I used to get the loans. I then received another letter from Sallie Mae stating I did not update my references, so I updated them online on Sallie Mae's website, I thought things were good, wrong. Sallie Mae then called me on the phone, I again provided my references to some foriegn speaking person on the phone who could hardly understand me as well as I understanding her. I then received another letter stating that we tried to contact you by phone for updated references but were unable to reach you. WTF, I just provided this non-english speaking representitive at Sallie Mae with all the reference information, what gives. I thought this was some kind of mistake so I ignored it.

Any how, after a 180 days of being out of school the loan repayment beings. Well I found out that the interest rate was a 7.14% not at 3%. I contact Sallie Mae over and over without any sucess of getting the issue taken care of. I then threaten Sallie Mae that I would withhold payment, that I was entitled to do this by federal law, if this was not taken care of right away. Sallie Mae promised to correct the issue. Next month nothing happened so
... Show more
Reply to Alan Hoffer

Dec 19, 2012
Hi, I'm in a similar situation where I'm disputing the remaining balance on my salliemae signature student loan due to the accumulated interested. I've paid off over 72% of the original amount that I took out but I still owe more than what I took out. I've sent letters to both of my Senators and they've filed inquiries but I don't think there's much that they can do since these are private student loans. I've sent letter to Salliemae's customer advocate unit but they just keep saying that they'll get back to me. Its been over a month now. My loans are delinquent and are close to becoming default. I am interested in filing a lawsuit and I was wondering how your lawsuit is going thus far? thanks
Reply to michele

May 15, 2012
how can they save the auto industry bail out banks and wall street and throw the american tax payer under the bus. its our money help us we'r hurting we need to know that there's some concern for our needs. billions of dollars goes to help others when charity begins at home we are about tired of this mess and it will come to an end soon.
Reply to atwitsend

May 14, 2012
I am making payments on my loan and Sallie May has taken every tax return I was supposed to receive back fro the past few years.
I finally had enough money to make monthly payments and started doing so and now they are taking my money still. WTF? I am jobless now, have bills to pay and was looking to that money to pay off my debts....including them! I understand that I owe them money. I am not stating otherwise, but if I am paying them back, the why in the *** would they keep talking money from me? A bunch of ***, if you ask me and I will tell everyone I know not to use them. They need to be a bit more understanding that these are hard times for a lot of people! :(
Reply to Sina

Feb 27, 2012
Me and my husband did our taxes and got back $3300 10 days later we got our money $741. We didnt know what was going on, I owe on a student loan but got nothing in the mail saying they were taking it. We went to H&R Block to figure it out. They looked on the website it said everything was fine even called the IRS personaly and waited on the phone for a half hour they lady said we wern't in default on anything and they cut our check for $3300 that day. I looked on the website again 4 days later and it said they took $2200 from Sallie Mae WTF??? Has this happened to anyone? This has been such a hassle they say we have our money take it away give it back and take it away again. They need to get their *** straight. yeah i owe them but the run around isn't necassary.
Reply to Steph

Feb 23, 2012
Sallie Mae took our tax refund which was well over 5k. In addition they took 2 of my social security disability payments totaling almost $400 (the max percentage). I was approved for total and permenant disabity and when it came time to give back the money, they only told Nelnet I was owed 1 payment of my disability! they neglected to say they took our tax refund or an additional payment. When I tried to contact Sallie Mae, they tried to pass the buck to everyone else and then BLOCKED my calls so that anytime I call I am routed to the Department of Education. Thank goodness I was able to provide the proof frome the Department of Treasury!! However, it is still taking Nelnet an additional 3 months just to get me THAT money back! Sallie Mae--you disgust me. I may be disabled, but I am not ***.
Reply to Steals from the Disabled

Jun 30, 2013  from Atlanta, Georgia
same thing is happening to me can you email me and tell me what to do VNoonan_88@hotmail.com
Reply to Anonymous

Feb 23, 2012
Reply to Sallie Mae steals from the dis

Feb 20, 2012
It takes very unique people to do the dirty jobs that sally mae has them do. They are horrible. They took my husbands and I's refund check which was over $2000.00 and with that took food out of my childs mouth. I am so sick of these people, they paid for a useless education for my husband and now he does not have a job that can afford to re-pay, but I am sure they knew that from the get go. These debts never go away and I think it should be illegal for them to be able to offset a refund check for a loan that never leaves your credit.

I would like to especially thank congress who approved the lack of food in my home. I would also like to thank congress for keeping up the good work and keeping things in the same flow, The poor will stay poor and the rich will stay rich. Way to keep statistics the same.
Reply to Another year another thief at

Sep 24, 2011
Yeah thanks for the support their words mean nothing I am one of hundreds facing errors in paperwork of millions of people. That's six sigma corporate thinking for you. Usually the system is pretty smooth. Now with direct loans no more hassle all thanks and praise to Obama. I'm about to graduate and the sallied Mae I.cident could have decimated but I was lucky that my sister and girlfriend were able to help me out.
Reply to Tony Z

Sep 24, 2011
Did you even read his story or is that not something Sallie Trash pays you to do? They just pay you to come on these sites and troll talk the tens of thousands of people that complain about how deceptive, immoral, harassing, and downright illegal the putrid things this corporation does are? Yes, you are right and the literal uncountable tens of thousands of people with the same complaints are wrong. If it smells like lies, cat food, and burning *** then it's probably... no not lies, cat food and burning ***, it's just Sallie Loanshark. Little Debbie has a better girls name anyways so take your Sallie Mae paycheck and go complain on that site. You still work for one of the most hated, sickening, weights on society in the entire country.
Reply to Boy You Sure Are Blind

Feb 04, 2011
Wow, what a big baby you are. Going to college and getting an higher education only to blow your money on a new car instead of paying off your student loans. And then complain about your tax refund taken away which rightfully belongs to Sallie Mae. Sell your car and don't ever borrow again.
Reply to Boy You Sure Are Stupid

Oct 12, 2010
I've been concerned about defaulting, so I am a professional college student until I can obtain employment well enough to support myself and my loan payments. I have over two-dozen private loans, the art institute applied for in my behalf (I learned that after I was out of school).

Has anyone thought of organizing a group to raise more public awareness about this?
Reply to hearrtsodarrk

Sep 04, 2010
Sallie Mae is evil and backed by laws and politicians whom SallieMae has influenced with their campaign contribitions and lobbyist.

Greater yet, it is the entire student loan process that is corrupt and wrong. It is set up to put citizens in bondage to the government. It is a consipracy.
Reply to David

Jun 17, 2010
In all honesty, Sallie Mae, a servicer/originator will not withhold your income tax. Should your income tax be withheld, that would be the government because you defaulted on your student loans... usually 360+ days past due.
Reply to Heather

May 24, 2010
sallie mae i hate that name with a passion...yes i owe the money but can't i just mail back the diploma? it didn't do me no good! I have to feed my family before i pay sallie mae! that company charges things that make no sense...in college we take those loans because we just needed a way to pay for college had i known that my life would be harrassed day and night by these people i would have just finished high school and that's it...we all need to get together and sue sallie mae for lying!
Reply to sarah

Dec 25, 2012  from Johnson City, Tennessee
they got 4g from my tax refund and said it was paid off, now they sold it to another company proclaiming i never paid anything
Reply to cassandra

Read next Sallie Mae complaint

sallie mae ripping off payments

Sallie Mae cashed checks and have not applied them to my account.They are a bunch of thieves!I have...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Sallie Mae.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug