• show-popup

Shares 0

Retro Fitness Scam!! Billed FOREVER and IMPOSSIBLE to cancel!!!

Company Retro Fitness
Product / Service Gym Membership
Location Washington, District Of Columbia
Category Fitness Centers
Views 1082

They are an absolute scam and stay FAR away! These practices (are)/should be illegal to the full extent. They require 60 days notice to cancel in which case they still continue to bill/charge the card you have signed up with them.
We called to cancel membership with them and they stated we need to send a letter to an address (no fax, calls, emails, only a letter) stating name, account, reason to cancel. We sent this letter and got no notice from them since. When we called to check 2 weeks later why we haven't heard anything, they stated that they REFUSE to look at anything unless it is sent certified mail ONLY!! They did NOT state this originally. So we sent certified mail to them and they got back to us another 2 weeks later stating that the "reason" (any reason) has to have PROOF with it. We asked what they mean by proof so in our case, we moved; they required a untility bill. So we sent a copy of our utility bill via certified mail (3rd letter sent out), and when we contacted them for status on the cancelation, they now require a SECOND utility bill, AND a copy of our driver's license.

So thats (1) Utility Bill (2) Utility Bill- 2nd (3) Driver's License. This is assuming the first thing you do when you move is to update your driver's license and dish out ridiculous fees and change your insurance right away.

At this point, I don't think I want this fraudulent company having a copy of my driver's license on file. After sending them this information, will take 2 weeks for them to process (in addition to all the other time spent with them); once a CONFIRMATION for the cancelation has been approved, at THAT point it is 60 days of billing continued.

AFTER the 60 day period, they will continue to charge you and come up with additional excuses why the cancelation is not sufficient. They will continue to bill you FOREVER!!!!!! You need to report fraud on your card, and get a new card and stop all old payments!

WARNING, if you cancel your account that they bill to, they will continue to charge you indefinitely to the same account even if it is closed! (and it will go through). In addition, even after you cancel your credit called, they will continue to bill for the ongoing months and send the account to the worst of collections agencies!!!

STAY FAR AWAY FROM RETRO FITNESS!!!! 2e39290

Comments (17) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Jan 27  from Neptune City, New Jersey
Mike Lewis please provide us all with correct information to cancel our memberships. If there is this much trouble we should all be set straight on how to do it. I have read the contract and see what to do, but there is also another letter from ABC that says to send it to them. Please set the record straight and give us the proper information to cancel our memberships.
Reply to Not so happyfish

Dec 24, 2013  from New York, New York
Retro is a total scam and that's why so many of there gyms are closing! I paid in full the first day I signed up and did everything I had to do to cancel (certified letter 2 months prior) and they still have a collection agency calling me. It is a TOTAL scam, stay far away!!! :x
Reply to Suffy

Aug 06, 2013  from Woodbridge, New Jersey
Good Marketing startegy, $19.99, but you end up in paying 300$ for sure when you cancel your membership. *** agreement, you dont get agreement at all. But they always say as per agreement... Dont go there.... Worst gym and customer service in the world. They look only for money and dont care about anything else. If you say threadmill is not working, no one will listen to you. but if you order smoothie or if you need personal trainer- they will come to your home also to serve you. Manager- Dominic- You can meet Mr.President also but you dont get his appointment , even if you had one it is going to be nightmare. He never on time and dont keep his word for the appointment. I schedule 5 times appointment with him. Not even one(1) time he make it to meet me. Whenever i go to meet him "everyone had some classes to say this" Dominic is on his way and driving. he will be here anytime. I am totally unhappy about this place, if you have money and want to spend- Please consider this gym(not a gym)- TIme pass place. pls drop me an email to sale4allppl@aol.com - if you need more details
Reply to Vivek

Mar 21, 2013  from Naples, Florida
F-ing ridiculous that it takes 60 days to cancel a membership.
I hope they go out of business.
Reply to Jay

Aug 02, 2012
SORRY I REMEMBER ANOTHER THING, YOU HAVE A GYM MEMBERSHIP NUMBER WITH RETRO FITNESS AND AN AGREEMENT NUMBER WITH ABC FINANCIAL. YOU MUST MENTION BOTH. IN YOU CORRESPONDENCE.
Reply to MARIE

Aug 02, 2012
cancel your credit card or close the checking account and do everything that I described below.
Reply to marie

Aug 02, 2012
I forgot to mention that I sent a copy of all correspondence to both Retro Fitness at their main office, and ABC financial "certified mail" I never dealt with the gym it self.
Reply to Marie

Aug 02, 2012
Hi I actually had no problem, you just have to be sure that you do the right things in the right order. I got my education by reading all of these blogs. I first cancelled my aug renewal "membership" with retro fitness and abc financial. I then paid in full to the end of my contract in full and requested that my financial obligation be satisfied with my check for the entire amount . You can call their number and get you total amount due. I still have the right to use the gym if i wanted to until my membership is up, but I did get an email stating that my account and membership were being canceled.
Reply to marie

May 22, 2012
Cancelled my membership at Moorestown NJ location beginning March 2012,
still being billed. Now being told that my membership was transferred to the Cherry Hill location because I visited the place once and need to take my problem up with them. Cherry Hill claims Moorestown transferred my account instead of cancelling it and need to deal with Moorestown. An employee told me it will never be cancelled and I need to close my checking account and open a new one.
Reply to Debra Nickollof

Apr 17, 2012
I tried to cancel my membership last September like many of you. They made me send a certified letter to ABC Financial in Arkansas to cancel. I just realized today that they have been billing me the entire time. I called ABC Financial who stated they dont have the authority to cancel the membership and told me to call the gym in my area that handels the billing. I confirmed that ABC financial had received my letter in October. The manager at retro called me back today stating that they will count 60 days from October when my letter was receieved and refund January to present. ABSOLUTE BS.
Reply to Absolute Scam

Apr 11, 2012
@Mike Lewis, you must work in a gym. I have proof of cancellation and Retro STILL continues billing me for one of my memberships. I just received an email 8 minutes ago from the GM FINALLY agreeing to cancel the second membership.
Reply to Tish Thompson

Mar 29, 2012
I sent the required certified letter to cancel my membership and they are still billing me. They have no record of my letter, and just keep giving me a hard time. Total BS. They advertise month to month, but I have yet to find a member who pays this way. I have never had a membership that i had to cancel in this manner. I'm calling the BBB.
Reply to Lisa

Mar 16, 2012
Funny how Mike Lewis has a comment on every post, sounds like he works for retro or billing company, i too had same issues after moving, utility bills, drivers license, send it certified mail after that wasnt stated originally, and i utilized gym 5 days a week Mike, i tanned, i did spin classes, im 6'1 200, tell me to get off the couch and move around !! the company is a lil shady, but having worked out at gyms for almost 20 years most of them are
Reply to megamass 5

Feb 18, 2012
Ive cancelled my subsciption 3 years ago and am getting billed to this day. Ive written to the main office but no reply.
Reply to mike

Feb 04, 2012
Guess what you dopes; you never really cancelled, did you? Other wise they wouldn't still be billing you. Wake up people and stop complaining for your own mistakes! Take responsibility for you actions!!
Reply to Mike Lewis

Jan 11, 2012
Called to cancel my daughter's membership. They don't do it over the phone or at the specific location she belongs to. You have to call ABC Financial, the billing company. It takes 60 days to cancel. I'll keep you all posted because for the life of me I can't understand why Retro took my credit info when I joined yet I have to go through this hog wash of cancelling. I asked the girl at the local gym for the corporate office - she stated she could not give that out. I will tell you one. Thing. If they bill me more than two months I am going to the local TV Station and have them investigate. I will file a complaint with the BBB. But let's not pass judgement yet. I will let you know what happens in 60 days!
Reply to Retro Sucks!

Read next Retro Fitness complaint

STAY AWAY FROM RETRO FITNESS

I joined Retro Fitness and utilized the gym for 6 months, moved away more than 25 miles from the fac...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Retro Fitness.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug