• show-popup

Shares 0

Are Publix really a good company to work for?

• by   Apr 22, 2008
  • 47 comments
  • Review #: 118696
Company Publix
Location Spring Hill, Florida
Category Food Stores
Views 936

Ok, I work for Publix.For nearly 4 years.

I am a hard worker. I've worked in five different stores, the store where I'm working at present is the best I've being with. My problem with Publix is most manager can be your best buddies but at the same time they are slowly twisting the knife in your back. I've being denied promotion, only been off sick once.

Receive excellent performance reports every six months. I finally had to call Human Resources to get some advice. The problem with this 12 - 13 week bonus, is store managers only look out for themselves.

Do they really care about the worker, I know they care for their own people (family; friends and other store mangers next of kins) I've worked with a few and all have said the same thing, if it wasn't for the shares and the bonus money, they would never work for Publix.Would like to know other people views 2df5780

Comments (47) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 47 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

May 18, 2013  from Lakeland, Florida
We do not care about our employees, even though we say we do. All we care about is making money. We try to keep the cost of food down with our buy one, get one so we can out beat Wal-mart. You are nothing but a number that costs us money. The harder and faster you work, the faster we get richer. Maybe we can be richer then Bill Gates. We thank you for the work you do, thank you for donating to the United Way and March of Dimes. It makes us look good in the comunity and is a good tax write off. And again thank you. Keep up the good work! (corporate)
Reply to corporate office

Mar 09, 2013  from Miami, Florida
I think it all really just depends on the people you work with. I love my job at publix. Everyone is so nice there and i get along with everyone. Management listens to me if i have a problem. They offer me a ride home sometimes too. It really just depends on the people. There are some days were i hate it because i have to work a long day or i have to wake up early but it's a job and it's really nice there. I guess it helps since i never really complain about anything
Reply to Anonymous

May 17, 2013  from Naples, Florida
cORPORATE POSTING....
Reply to SHARK

Aug 24, 2012
ive worked at frozen as a selector and lv as warehouse person and maybe its just me but i dont thinks its a bad place to work but to many people put publix on a pedestal around here. They say for selectors the money is great which is true hourly granted the harder you work you go home so basically make 12.50 an hour for 35 hours or 25 an hour for 20 hours. Also they have a bad habit of "shaving time" off how long you get to select orders. as a warehouse person you get a raise every 6 months based on how much *** you kiss and once you hit 14.50 your maxed out unless cost of living goes up. SO bottom line is it a bad company to work for? no. Is the money that great? not as great as people say it is. so really publix is no different than almost any other company youll ever work for. One thing I will say is that for the amount of people that apply they hire more low quality people than the hard working ones I see come in. A lot of duis and such
Reply to lakeland lv

Jul 10, 2012
I have worked in the Publix Distribution Center for the past year and a half and I am simply thankful to have a job. Is the work back breaking sometimes, yes. Do we work long hours, yes. Is management sometimes more concerned with their perks and their bonus, than the employees, yes. But honestly who would not be? The truth is, at least in distribution, we are more than fairly compensated for what we do.
It is a job, one that we are paid well to do.
Now I will say I do slightly agree with the comment made about supervisors smiling in your face while wielding the knife in your back. But that's just the culture of the company. It is run by good ole boys and they try to keep confrontation to a minimum, which works.
In my opinion, I think it is a great company to work for, if you go into distribution. I can not speak for the store because I have never been employeed at a store. Publix operates in 5 states and is ranked with international businesses, Mr. George provided the structure for a financially sound operation.
While I do sometime feel as though the company does not exactly mirror his model for employee relations, if feel that the company has changed slighty, only to offset, the change in people and the times.
The stock program is an added bonus, is it the greatest stock program ever, no, but it is something they simple give you (you can purchase some as well) simply for your service.
Reply to D B

May 17, 2013  from Naples, Florida
One more corporate posting....
Reply to SHARK

Jun 25, 2012
Joe Galagher is a sorry excuse for a supervisor never knows ***. Always on the phone worrying about where his *** is.they want to work you to death. And when you need the sorry *** he disappears for hours. Can never handle nothing or get anything accomplish. You can tell him issues till your blue in the face and he doesn't care or can't find out how to fix the problems..
Reply to Deerfield processing

Jun 21, 2012
I have worked at Publix in the Deli as a part timer for 12 years and have no regrets. Publix is a great company to work for with many benefits that you don't find elsewhere. I have worked at four stores averagng 35 hours per week and found my co-workers and managers to be absolutely great people to work with.
Many many years ago when I started, only the full time associates made platters, stocked the shelves, made salads, ect. Now the part time associates do everything that a full time associated does, so the work is hectic with everything that has to be done during the course of the day.
With any job at Publix, the only thing I can say is (1) Come to work on time (2) Don't call 10 minutes before your shift starts to say you're sick (3) Do your job and do it according to Publix standards (4) Take care of your customers. You reap what you sow. If you are a good worker you have rewards and it you're not, you get nothing in return.
Reply to Chris

Jun 21, 2012
Are you guys serious? I been working for Publix for 2 years and its one of the best companies I ever worked for. The issue is that if your doing a good job and are a hard worker they will reward you.

I'm part time but asked for more hours and have been getting 37.5 for the past 6 months. With staying late in the grocery department leveling it always hits 40.

Now my managers are trying to push me for full-time through the district manager.

My case and point is that if you work hard you will get rewarded and praised. If you dont, they will nag you and *** you out by cutting your hours since they will never fire you.
Reply to Ryan

May 31, 2012
what cities are you working in? I work for public in miami & i haven't seen any of these problems you're talking about.. Managers a little tight but she's a manager.. I work part time with school and still get around 13 hours a week.. maybe it depends on the city you work at. :? :? :? javascript:ac_smilie(':?')
Reply to berg

Jun 13, 2013  from Miami, Florida
I work in Miami too! I would get 15 hours when I was still in high school but now that I've graduated and its summer, I'm getting close to 30. I really think its the cities.
Reply to Amy

Apr 11, 2012
Publix is the absolutely worst place I have worked - ever. And, this Site is "right on" about supervisors and managers and the lies and distortions they spread - AT THE ENCOURAGEMENT OF PUBLIX CORPORATE! The entire Publix Corp objective is to threaten and dehumanize ALL hourly employees in order to extract maximun sweat for absolutely less than slave-starved wages. THIS GOES DOUBLE for the poor smuck Vendors that try to do business with these Publix Whores.

Publix is a CANCER that tells their employees what a great deak their STOCK is - BS!! The stock "value" is set by PUBLIX and has stayed at $20 and change for THE LAST FIVE YEARS! At publix the plan is to work you to death while you can't afford food - Then throw you out with their worthless stock - NO Growth in the Value per share EQUALS WORTHLESS in any book of Common Sense!

A V O I D P U B L I X A T A L L T I M E S ****************
Reply to R U Kidding?

Apr 07, 2012
Lauri Tremblay is a Peice of *** Fat *** Manager at Publix Store 1287,I wish nothing good for her or her whole family. What comes around goes around ***!!!!!! YOU SUCK!!! as a person and a manager!!! Everyone HATES YOUR FAT ASSS!!!!!!!! :zzz
Reply to Haterofpublix

Apr 07, 2012
:( If your ever in the neighborhood of The North Port store, and drop in, make sure you get your free stuff, there a bunch of push overs and what ever you want they will give you free if you know how to work it, just complain about your milk, once a week drink half your gallon and take the other half or less and get it refunded for free or any other product, eat half your stekk and get your money back use the system, cut those manager bonuses up, if you consumers only knew how they talk about you behind your backs you all would probably stop shopping there because they do not care about you,they are all nice when you stand there but when they go into there offices you are nothing but a low life peice of ***, and they treat there employees like total ***.
Reply to shelby1968

Feb 16, 2012
Wow! I've worked for Publix since I turned 14, now in high school... I still love it. I've planed to keep up my great effort and plan for my future with Publix after high school. until now, I thought most employees love Publix. At my store, some of my all star cashiers get long shifts, some love the hours and one or 2 complain because of long shifts. But my managers have the positive Publix adtiude and think "Publix"... Not money. If I ever need to talk to someone my managers are there to listen.
Reply to Logan bagger at 0365

Jan 09, 2012
I just got hired less than a month ago to work in the deli at the Publix by my new apartment. I have only been scheduled 3-8 hours the past few weeks and I finally asked the manager why. I was told that despite having great customer service skills, I wasn't good enough at selling the meat that was on sale. I was told that I need to be better at pushing certain meats. It's crazy to me that hours are based on selling versus customer service skills. I guess I can be a *** to all the customers as long as I sell the meats they want. What a sorry excuse for a great company.
Reply to Wayne

Dec 28, 2011
I have worked for Publix for almost four years now and it is so much worse than it used to be. I recently transferred to the deli and that was such a a mistake. I am rarely scheduled more than 10 hours per week, I don't always get paid on time, managers are rude and will yell at you in front of customers. The open door policy is a joke, managers always get upset when you come to them or ask you to come back when you aren't on the clock. George Jenkins would be ashamed of what Publix is today.
Reply to Tony

Dec 20, 2011
PUBLIX DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU...ONLY MONEY...NOTHING ELSE...THEY ARE LIARS AND DECEIVERS.. RUSS REAVER CAN KISS MY ***! HOW DOSLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING HOW MANY LIVES YOU HAVE RUINED??? I BET I KNOW...COMFORTABLY ON YOUR BIG PILE OF MONEY...HOPE U DIE IN A FIREY CRASH, BUT SUFFER FIRST
Reply to publixsucks

Read next Publix complaint

How to move ahead in Publix.

To put it in a nutshell ,if your not related to people in a higher position or a "kiss *** &quo...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Publix.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug