• show-popup

Company PetSmart
Product / Service Grooming Services
Category Animal Services
Views 587

I keep seeing all these people complain about Petsmart Grooming,and I for one am tired of it.I understand there are bad groomers and Im not denying the fact that some groomers can have attitudes and not care and should be fired.

BUt 8 out of 10 times, its the customers. 1.Just because its "customer service" dosent mean they have "Im your ***" stapled to their name tags. So treat people like you want to be treated. 2.

If your dog is matted, it gets shaved. DO you know what goes into dematting? Its a painful process, it irritates the skin and the only way to remove mats is to RIP them out. Yes I said RIP, theres no "magic spray" that removes knots and tangles and if your groomer says there is, they are lying plain and simple.

Dogs need to be COMBED daily, not brushed but combed with a metal comb. Thats the ONLY way to prevent matting. 3. THere is no way a groomer can make your dog sick, dont take your dog someplace and not have the proper protection/shots.

4. Its very easy to miss fleas at home. Unless you have a flea comb, they are tricky little buggers and will do whatever it takes to be unnotices. Even crawing into your dogs butt/vulva/eyes/ears/nose/mouth They dont just sit on your dogs back and shout, "HERE I AM!".

5. Im sorry if the groomers dont know you by your name, YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. I know you think you are but trust me, the two seconds before you walk in, the groomers are asking eachother, "who is this?" "do you know him/her?". 6.

If you bought a Goldendoodle, labradoodle, morkie, cockapoo etc....you are an ***. THere are no breed clips, so dont ask. THey arnt breeds, they are mutts, point blank. Ask the AKC 7.

If you bought a teacup anything....you are an ***. Teacup= runt and you just paid hundreds extra for a dog that WILL have health issues, dumb ***. 8. If your dog bites,then IT BITES.

If you ask how your dog did and the groomer says "uhhhhhh" or "ummm" or "well..." or " he dosent like it" then your dog IS A PIECE OF ***. It may be your baby and shouldnt *** you but your sweet precious angel cake has no issue biting somebody else. If your dog bites I guarentee every single last person in that salon hates it and is secretly wishing you never came back. More often than not, people dont know how much of a douch their dog is because groomer grin and bear it but next time your dog gets groomed and the groomer is scratched up, bandages or they just look mad in general and you notice something is wrong with your haircut(example, nails arnt done), assume your dog is bad, I know its hard And if you dont believe me, next time your dog is groomed, watch.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOBODY I MEAN NOBODY LIKES GROOMING YORKIES. THEY ARE THE WORST BREED OF DOG TO GROOM, HANDS DOWN. FOLLOWED BY ANYTHING TERRIER, SCHNAUZERS AND MALTESES. 9.THe first time your dog gets a haircut, it may not be perfect.

Thats becuase the dog doesnt know anybetter and grooming is a learning experience. It may be scared or nervous and should not be forced. I know you think your dog is special and will do perfect the first time, but believe me, its not. 10.

IF you want to dispute the price, take your *** elsewhere. 11. if your dog is in heat, DO NOT GET HER GROOMED. That is disgusting and the dog dosent feel well.

Would you go to your gyno on your period you dirty, inconsiderate a hole? Would you get a wax? Arnt you in a crappy mode when you are on your cycle? And a humping dog IS NOT cute or funny.

Let me come to your job and hump your arm while you type! 12. COMMUNICATION COMMUNICATION COMMUNICATON. Read everything before you sign.

Make sure you know exactley whats going on. Dont say "well just do whatever" then get mad at the result. Groomers arnt mind readers. YOU need to be specific, what may look good to the groomer and random Joe over there may not look good to you.

If there is a problem, please let your groomer know. dont come on some website like this and blow things way out of proportion. MAny groomers aim to please and will try to make it right. 13.

Your dogs nails need to be clipped every 4-6 weeks or they will grow into the paw pad. The quick will also continue to grow and cannot be cut. Dont bring your dog in after 6 months and then *** that they arnt short enough. AND FINIALLY 14.

IF YOU HAVE KIDS, KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THE WINDOW. ITs not funny when your bad children are banging against the glass, it freaks the dogs out. DOnt hold your dog up to the window and wave and point. I guarantee, your dog dosent care and neither do the groomers.

If you see the dog is excited, walk away.

Dont be a *** and knowing disturb the dog becuase if the dog jumps and gets cut, everybody has a bad day and your child is now tramatized because he saw puppys leg bleeding!I was a groomer, so I know how it feels to be in their shoes and if anybody reading this wants to dispute me.......come at me bro 2e15574

Comments (53) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 53 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Feb 06  from Cambridge, Ontario
I've never had a problem with my dogs at any groomers specially when it was their first time. It's because I took the time and energy since they were puppies to teach them how to be calm when getting groomed, getting their nails done and making sure their fur never gets matted without being at the groomers. I only do it as a treat so they can have the day in the dog spa. I disagree with a lot of people saying 'Its the groomers fault' I always question them on that reasoning. I mean anyone can be a groomer for dogs (I should know bc I am not a trained professional) but I read on the basics of grooming and trimming and learn from just being there.
Good post :)
Reply to kiTTie

Oct 20, 2013
I totally believe this groomer. People want to tell a groomer how to do their job. They think because the live with the dog, that the dog will act that way with a stranger in a strange environment with loud clippers and dryers and other strange animals. Don't blame the groomer for your dogs behavior. The delivery is a bit rou :p gh but the groomer ma :roll kes sense
Reply to cat luver

Oct 07, 2013
you effing awesome. and what you said is the strait truth. i ws never a groomer so i don't now what its like to be in there shoes but *** it must not be too fun when the precious little darling wont sit still when your washing them and now your walking around in wet shoe the rest of the day. if you want to complain about something you need to go into your bathroom turn the light on look in the mirror and then start you b**** because no one cares. what groomers go though on a daily basis you truly don't understand unless you wake up ever morning knowing that someone is going to come post there complaining s*** ANYWHERE. your not the one going home covered in hair and wet and in a crappy mood because people feel it is okay to look down on you like your nothing. so next time you want B***** go look in the mirror and think about treating your self the way you treat those people who are trying to do the best that they can with someone else's dog that will leave a scar that they have to live with the rest of there life. and if you have nothing to say but bad thing about a place then WHY IN THE *** DO YOU KEEP GOING BACK. why you can answer that think about the fact that its your own *** fault your so unhappy with it. if you don't like something don't go back.

and remember your suppose to treat others the way you want to be treated. one smile can make a *** of a difference in the way people react to you. so wake up and smell the roses.
Reply to KissMyA

Sep 27, 2013  from Denver, Colorado
I WORKED at PetsMart as well as other groomers so this is my professional opinion from the inside: PetsMart is HORRIBLE! Do not blame the customers because you not knowing how to deal with them.
Reply to mumei

Sep 25, 2013  from Knoxville, Tennessee
I have my dogs groomed at Pet Smart and I have been to lots of other groomers as well. Pet Smart does the BEST job. My dogs have never looked better than when they leave there. I know the job is hard, it takes a special person to do it. I think its a bit harsh to complain about the dogs, after all it is the career you chose, and I don't hear trash ppl complain about the trash I throw out, or my doctor complaining because I am sick or grouchy. If you don't like what you do then you should quit. I can see all the other problems with the glass and children, and I know ppl are very touchy when it comes to their pets, worse than their children by far. All breeds are difficult and I have never heard of a groomer that only does specific breeds, I am sorry schnauzers cuts are difficult for you but it really depends on the dog, not the breed. Anyone that has a pet that is matted shouldn't have the right to complain at all, and if they are told that from the beginning and they know whats coming, then they wouldn't complain. I understand what you are saying but some of these things sound kind of harsh for the particular profession you have chosen

Aug 14, 2013  from Burlington, Ontario
absolutely true, every bit of it!

i do agree with post below, some matts can be brushed out... SOME! but it takes time, to much time, to do it!

Aug 03, 2013
These are the most interesting facts about being a dog groomer I have ever read!!! You go man! I don't work for corp.... So the only difference is- those little kids that bang on the window..... Dont have that. I agree with your statements and it sounds like u do love grooming, so keep up the work and enjoy life making dogs beautiful!
Reply to Love2Groom

May 22, 2013
Pets mart teaches their groomers to groom for quantity NOT quality. I work as a groomer and was trained per AKC. Mats are hard to get out but NOT impossible. Most mats can me taken out without causing pain to the dog it just requires you to know how to do it correctly and have the time. I agree that some people just want to complain because they are unhappy people but calm the f down. You are NOT the only person that works with customers. If you don't like it don't do it. Their are plenty of people that would lobe to have a job to pay the bills and wouldn't *** about it. There are no standards of grooming on cross breeds but usually the dog looks more like one breed and you cut him that way OR you educate the customer. Trust me i have had many of people bring their pets to me due to the groomers at pets mart and pet co not knowing how to do something correctly and seriously injuring their dog. So don't act like it's ALWAYS the customers fault because it definitely is NOT. You must do a real crappy job if you get enough complaints that you have to *** about it. Not saying that some people complain for no reason.

Jun 07, 2013
I have also had people bring in their dogs because the "regular" groomer shaved them or did a clean face when they wanted a normal doodle face. I worked a normal groomer before petsmart, so I know there are ways to demat dogs, but you must agree not all matted dogs are created equal. If the dog has a pelt you cant honestly tell me that you would brush that out? Cause you would be lying, that will hurt no matter how gentle you are. And not all petsmart groomers are the same, our salon manager was trained by Sam Kohl in NYC a long time ago, so she knows what she is doing and she has trained everyone else there (I learned from my previous job as well as lots reading and practice)
Reply to hahaha

Aug 03, 2013  from Dallas, Texas
Oh that is complete bull. There you go generalizing that PetSmart is the problem or Petco is the problem. I work in a PetSmart grooming salon, I was trained by PetSmart instructors. They DO NOT teach quantity over quality, that is a groomer choice, some groomers want to have a ridiculous number of dogs to work on so they get paid more regardless of how their finished product looks. There are actually a lot of us working for PetSmart and probably Petco too that aim to deliver the best possible groom regardless of how much or little we are paid to do so. I give my heart and soul to my job and the dogs I work on, heck I had a dog *** my face and as soon as I was healed I called the Pet Parent and asked her to come back in so his groom could be finished and I even threw in some of our more pricey extras free of charges just because I could and I didn't want her to feel like I hated her dog for biting me. So go ahead and read that and tell me again how PetSmart teaches quantity over quality or even safety.
Reply to TrubluPSgroomer

Apr 18, 2013
I *** LOVE YOU! Wish this could be posted in every salon or a requirement to read before clients bring dogs in! LOL
Reply to Tyz503

Apr 15, 2013  from Corona Del Mar, California
I'm a groomer and all of this is soooooooo true.

Apr 04, 2013
To the original poster: You do express some valid frustrations that groomers experience, just in a very poor manner. I agree with the some comments related to professionalism and education. The original poster sounds like one of the groomers with a bad attitude he/she refers to. Grooming is a business where the customer is not always right. Sometimes the groomer has to risk offending the customer in order to advocate for the dog. If you don't speak up for the dog, then who will? Because they certainly they can't speak for themselves. There is a method of removing matts without "ripping" them out. A skilled groomer can dematt a dog gently and safely depending on the condition of the dog.If the matting is so advanced, it is necessary to shave the dog and start over. But there is a good amount of pulling and tugging that goes along with dematting and not all dogs tolerate this. I like to tell people I can keep the coat as long and fluffy as you want but you need to follow my recommendations. This is evaluated on a case by case basis. When I hear negative stories about groomers I always know there are two sides to every story. I know I often give my professional recommendations which is to get a dog groomed every 4-6 to weeks and it really falls on deaf ears. All I can do is try . I really try to encourage people to get regular visits. Suggesting they alternate between a bath and tidy and then a full haircut is one way you can make it more cost friendly to them.The more... Show more
Reply to groomertoo

Feb 16, 2013  from San Antonio, Texas
You, know it's not the customers that *** me off or stress me out, it's the company and their bs. It's total *** we have to answer phones check in other people's dogs and help people that walk through the door and help each other with another dog. Grooming there is inefficient and therefor makes my job way difficult. You know how many times we have to put down a dog just so we have to do something else, I seriously had to put my dog down 6 times to answer phones. No wonder you dog takes 4 hours to groom and is difficult, he's is sick of being there being groomed and being around frustrated groomers and other dogs. I wish with all my heart I could do dogs straight through without interruptions. I'm sure everyone would be happier. I frickin hate working there but I need a job right now and the insurance. If I had the money I start my own shop. I love grooming but the company makes it stressful and that probably why the quality of work fails. We don't mean to upset you and I wish you could spend a day there and understand what we have to do. I love dogs and we don't do things on purpose but *** happens and dogs do get scared. What if you had to go somewhere you didn't want to how would react. Dogs are going to do things to avoid you do things t them like touching there paws. There are going to.*** around until you let go. Now imagine trying to clip or grind nails while the dog does this. You know.much it hurts when a 100 lb mastiff does this, your back takes a beating. I think... Show more
Reply to Anonymous7

Sep 12, 2013  from Long Beach, California
Hello I just came from Petsmart in Long Beach, Ca. I had my Pekingese groomed. They cut her badly. This is the second time. The first time her nipple was cut OFF. This time they clipped her so close that the skin was exposed, bleeding and raw. I decide to give Petsmart a second chance be cause I know bad things can happen and the way the company took care of mine and my dogs needs was good. But this is it no more my poor dog is traumatized. I called the manager, took my dog to their vet and bla bla bla. When I pulled into the Petsmart parking lot my dog started whining, not the "ohh I'm excited" whine but the "please mommy don't take me in there" whine. She was shaking too. Poor little dog. :cry My problem is this. The groomer knows that she hurt my dog and caused injury. Why didn't the groomer say something to me or the manager???
Reply to Redd robin

Feb 16, 2013
SETTLE DOWN!!! As a former Petsmart employee....never going back either! Too much drama!

Feb 12, 2013  from Highland Park, New Jersey
I work for PS, and I have for 2 years now. Just like any job, it has stressful moments, but just like any job I act like a professional. I think bad attitudes will always lead you to negative results. There are a lot of people who don't know a lot about how to keep their dogs groomed properly or they may not know much about fleas. That is what your job as a groomer is! To groom and to educate the owner on what is needed to help their "baby". I know some owners could careless, but does it make you any different to stop caring as well? I am sick of people not showing compassion! Get another job if you prefer not to actually do the work. It's a part of life to overcome obstacles, and in this situation it usually means dealing with somewhat difficult dogs and owners.
Reply to Optimistic Groomer

Feb 13, 2013
TEEHEE you are cute! Apparently you havent delt with the customer that called your fellow groomers "***", "incompetent", yada yada yada and the list goes on. I watched a dog *** someone in the face and then the owenr got mad at the groomer and said that he sucked and deserved to get bitten!! The nerve of some people! One would think as a groomer, you would stick up for your own. You dont have to agree with everything I say but you know part if not all is true (you dont have to admit it) I can deal with a 'somewhat' difficult anything but I cannot and will not be treated like *** just because I provide a 'service'. If people knew how difficult it was, they would change their tune and not be so rude. AAAND thats why I quit, I refused to be treated like dirt, SORRY :)
Reply to Angrymanivxx

Feb 17, 2013  from Highland Park, Texas
I am sure you have your reasons for your opinion. As do I. Based on my experience I have had crazy owners, trust me. I have worked in 2 different PS locations and here is what I have learned: at one store the managers and all of the employees work together as a team. If there is an owner who has complaints on something that seem to be out of our control, we defend each other, and usually do not accept them again..if it seems they are just going to waste our time and make us look bad. Then we also try to fix whatever the problem is. We usually know which groomer can handle which dog. It all comes with patience.

Now, for the other store I worked at, the whole store was lacking team work! No one wanted to help others and everyone only thought for themselves. A lot of the groomers had bad attitudes! They weren't as polite and I can see how some of the owners complained. Honestly, I think it all depends on you and your co workers attitudes.
Reply to Optimistic groomer

Read next PetSmart complaint

Manager at PetSmart in Sand City, CA

I tell you what, if this guy worked for me or my corporation he would not have lasted 5 minutes.I wi...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about PetSmart.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug