• show-popup

Shares 0

Perfumania fragrances are KNOCKOFFS! BUYER BEWARE!

Company Perfumania
Product / Service Farenheit By Dior
Location Burnaby, British Columbia
Category Cosmetics and Toiletries
Views 1725

I had to learn the hard way.... A year ago I was in Colorado and purchased a 200ml of Farenheit at a store like Perfumania (may have been perfumania) Anyway, I opened the bottle and immediately notice it was different... It had a strong alcohol smell and the actual scent was very subtle. Authentic FARENHEIT by Dior is spicy, rich and Sexy...there is very little alcohol if any when you spray it on AND the scent lingers beautifully for hours and hours. Perfumania fragrances Do NOT. Wanting to prove myself correct... I decided to go to Macy's and compare the Farenheit by Dior they were selling. I asked the clerk for her opinion to see if she noticed a difference... the look on her face said it all! Macy's Farenheit was TRUE BLUE- THE REAL THING. I purchased a bottle from them $20.00 more for the same bottle purchased at Perfumania. Then I went back to the Knock off store and informed them that the product they sold me was not the Real thing.... I brought out the bottle purchased at Macy's and had them smell the difference.... They immediately REFUNDED MY MONEY.

Here is ... the hard lesson learn part of the story...

I visiting the Seattle Outlet stores and there was a Perfumania store.... Now I couldn't remember if the store in Colorado was Perfumania or not so I just trusted the sales clerk who honestly told me all the Perfumes in here are TRUE AUTHENTIC FRAGRANCES straight from the Factory's from around the world ie: Paris France. I wanted to buy another 200ml of Farenheit by Dior priced at $86. Still feeling skeptical but wanted to believe her every word... I decided to share my experience in Colorado with her and her co-worker. They were surprised but reassured me the Perfume was the Real Thing... OK I said. I bought the fragrance and opened it up on the spot... And to my dismay I had been had again!!!! I said to the ladies this is a KNOCKOFF! I want a refund PLEASE. I am sorry the clerk said ... Once opened and sprayed we DO NOT give refunds of money back! Here is the head office telephone number ... call them.

I am trying to get in touch with the head office now and will keep you informed as to what transpires.

Things to look for when buying from Perfume outlet stores.... Bar Codes on the box/packaging.... I compared the packaging with a department store clerk and she noticed there was no bar code on the Perfumania Farenheit box.

I am also contacting Farenheit in Paris, France. Curious to know if their Product is being Pirated!

Cheers. 306e7a9

Comments (39) Hide comments
Showing 19 of 39 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Jul 10, 2012
Losts of people get Perfumania confused with other frarance stores. The difference is that Perfumania purchases directly from the manufacturers, other stores not so much. Good luck contacting "Fahrenheit" in Paris because all the Dior perfumes are owned by LVMH. Just like Lacoste is owned by P&G. Ingredients for perfumes vary in cost and availability so there may be slight variances in scent with each batch. In addition to that, perfumes go through a process called maceration in which they age in the bottle and the scent may change a bit as well. Do your research before running the name of a good company through the mud.
Reply to A perfume girl

Jul 10, 2012
Reply to A perfume girl

May 23, 2012
I purchased Annick Goutal Petite Cherie at Perfumania, and it must be one of their fakes because it smells very off and gives me a headache, which real Annick Goutal never has. The sales clerk sprayed from a different bottle for me to try it, so I did not realize this until I opened it at home, and they do not accept exchanges/refunds on opened product. Never again!
Reply to Lora

Apr 05, 2012
Know where you get your fragrances from! It is obviously no Perfumania if you said you got a knockoff. Perfumania gets all their fragrances from the same distributor as Macy's and Dillard's. As well as Ulta and Sephora. There are other stores that do sell knockoffs, bu NOT Perfumania!

Jul 16, 2013  from Phoenix, Arizona
They might not sell total knock offs but they do add alcohol or some product to fill them up! The same is with ULTA.
Reply to faye

Jan 08  from Memphis, Tennessee
I bought a versace blue jeans withing minutes it gave me a rash and it smelled too strong ..thought about buying another but now im concerned with there colones
Reply to boss

Apr 04, 2012
Perfumania does indeed sell fakes. I bought a "Lacoste" perfume and the color & smell was off. I brought the fake from perfumania to a Lacoste store and compared. The one from perfumania was an obvious fake.
Reply to Yani Mervilus

Mar 28, 2012
Perfumania does not sell knockoffs, they buy direct from the manufacturer. End of story.
Reply to Anon

Feb 05, 2013  from Miami, Florida
just want to confirm that, the products in perfumania store are totally bad quality. I can bet or meet up with you and you get 1 bottle from purfumania, I get 1 bottole from maces to compare. You will see the differences in smell, alcohol level, the long lasting.......I bought few from there in the past until it comes to the expensive perfume such as Burberry or Gucci, The scent and long lasting is totally OFF ! the one from MAcy's store is last a day with great smell. the one with perfumania is strong with alcohol smell.
Reply to helo!

Mar 23, 2012
Prestige perfume companies do not sell their fragrances to the such stores as you have mentioned. So where do they get it? Think!
It is so called grey market.
Often when I see a product from the company I work for, I buy it and send it to our headquarters, so they can investigate the loss by the batch number on the box. If there are no legitimate batch numbers and such, the product is fake.
Reply to yougetwhatyoupayfor

Mar 20, 2012
Many times, discounters sell fragrances that are old, and so have the fragrance oils evaporate over time which leaves more of an alchohol smell.

Feb 15, 2012
You said "a store like perfumania" and "may have been perfumania."

How can you even write the rest of your rant if you're not even sure if that store was really Perfumania or not. You could be right, but make sure you're even talking about Perfumania and not some other store "like" it.

I'm sorry you bought fakes, though.
Reply to Mil

Feb 10, 2012
*** all you losers for thinkin that Perfumania sells fake ***. Caz they DON'T. get over ureselves. its a little strong when you first spray it, but they well real ***, its illegal to sell fake *** at those prices. honestly stop bein so *** hypocritical. and GET OVER URSELF.
Reply to Blah

Dec 19, 2012
You make absolutely no since
Reply to umm

Dec 24, 2011
I had the same experience. This is the kicker. It was from a large store chain. I think it may be something in the way it's stored or that it may sit for a long time before being sold. My brother in law went to a large sale at the fair and bought two small bottles for thirty dollars. I had the real thing yet his actually smelled like the original that I got years and years ago. When buying these fragrances go to a known vendor that advertises this brand on tv or on billboards. This is likely to be the real deal.
Reply to Schon

Nov 19, 2011
I recently bought perfume from Perfumania at an outlet mall. I thought I was getting a genuine product. Just like this complaint, the perfume I purchased had a strong alcohol smell and the scent was very subtle. It doesn't last long and I have to reapply it every couple of hours. A few years ago I was shopping at a different outlet mall and asked the sales person at Perfumania if they sold knockoff fragrances. I was told they did not. After this experience I will not shop there again for any fragrances.
Reply to Mrs. W

Nov 09, 2011
You have to watch because counterfeiters mix genuine product with the fake. So you can get caught with a fake and sometimes not. this makes it difficult for the brand company to actually to police and catch these people.
Some companies are using a unique holigraphic label and bar code fixed to the box with a number that can checked on the brand companies web site as genuine product

Oct 14, 2011
You were not certain that it was perfumania , you said it might have or it was like perfumania. Make sure you know what store you are going to before making a statement like that, also bought jean pual and it was the real brand
Reply to anonymous

Jul 06, 2011
All of the fragrances are 100% authentic. I have purchased many fragrances from their stores and website and everytime the fragrances smelled perfect. All wrapped and fresh. The website it great because they offer free shipping and 3 free samples. Sorry about your experience but Perfumania is a publicly traded company with over 350 stores and very reputable. How could they maintain their status if they sold fakes.

Read next Perfumania complaint

Perfumania -- not real product -- cheap knockoff...

My daughter and I went into Perfumania in New Hampshire to purchase perfume.We questioned the salesp...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Perfumania.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug