• show-popup

Location Denver, Colorado
Category Service Centers and Customer Services
Views 2371
Monetary Loss

I just had two tires replaced due to road hazzard.13500 miles on 75000 mile tires.

they were over half gone and I had to pay for 50% of the tire replacement cost. There should have been no more than 18 to 20% wear on these tires. They were used on a Subaru wagon, the correct touring tire for the car. The car is driven slow to average to save gas around town and on the hiway.

These tires will be shot after only 25000 miles. One third of what they say they should last.

At 70.00 a tire and the cost of getting them changed out, you end up paying alot more per mile for this tire than quality tires that do last 70,000 miles.DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES. 2e3ba25

Comments (49) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 49 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

May 29, 2013
Bought 4 Definity tires because of promotional sale and ended up with 4 damaged tire pressure sensor that the supervisor claimed to be defective. If it is defective why did I not notified ahead of time before this so called mechanic work on all tires?....now I have to save money to buy those parts that cost more than the tires. WHAT A RIPP OFF.
Reply to LEV

Mar 09, 2013  from Wappingers Falls, New York
2 yrs and 62000 miles on EX600 and no issues whatsoever. Tire rotation every 10k miles
Reply to Bill

Mar 02, 2013  from El Paso, Texas
lmao your rediculous. your whining because you paid $400 for tires that didnt last? i bet you didnt rotate them or get alignments in the 25k that you drove. try having a truck with 36 inch tires and you pay $1500-$2000 for tires...then i'll listen to you ***. you hippie ***
Reply to zak

May 28, 2013  from Anaheim, California
I had definity hp800 for my accord V6. I have them rotated 3 weeks before I traveled to Utah to visit family. When I arrived the tires were completely Bald after only 18,000 miles.(since I bought them) when I went to Pep Boys they offered to sell me more low quality tires at a discount. I told them I expected 55,000 miles and I don't have $ to buy more tires. I talked to the manager and after trying to sell me tires they replaced them under warranty. This is the second time that my 55,000 mile tires lasted less than 20,000 miles. ohh yea they broke my bolt putting the tires on. DO NOT SERVICE YOUR CAR AT ANY PEP BOYS
Reply to accord 2003

Nov 11, 2012  from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I bought 4 definity ex600 tires for my 2000 honda civic 2 years ago when it had 140K on it. After 25K miles, they still have significant tread left. Can't report any problems.
Reply to Jonn

Oct 08, 2012  from Stone Mountain, Georgia
I only have one definity on my car on my rear passenger and the rest are used (but 100% tread) tires...2 cheap bridge stone and a generic tire on the driver rear....WHENEVER I brake hard (I have racing brakes made from ferron carbon) ...The definity tires ALWAYS loses traction first....I always fishtail one way then the other tires lose grip....(I needed new tires and I had no money for good ones at the time)....I always hated the definitys ...yea all 4 tires were used and *** but to be the shittiest of them all....cmon mannnnn
Reply to spritemast

Jul 26, 2012
I have a set of Definity Dakota HT. Have only driven about 1,000 miles, but so far they are excellent tires. Smooth, quiet, and good traction when wet.
Reply to Santiago

Apr 17, 2012
did anyone purchase an alignment with their tires?
Reply to oddmanout

Feb 10, 2012
Hard to take someone's point of view serious at all when they can't spell "Highway" correctly. These tire are made for budget minded customer's not high end ones. They are not top shelf, but they are not on the bottom either.
Reply to Jeff Dunn

Dec 30, 2012  from Tucson, Arizona

THESE TIRE...LOL
Reply to Gammar

Oct 28, 2011
bought Hankooks there, very satisfied but they are brand name and cheap there, just keep up with the rotations
Reply to buy Hankooks there instead

Oct 28, 2011
Thanks for all the comments!! I don't know a thing about tires and am looking for some.

Pet Boys said these are good tires...ugh...

I am glad I looked for reviews! Thanks for taking the time to warn us!!
Reply to Teri Orlando

Oct 05, 2011
I have a 2005 nissan altima..These tires ( definity700) are horrible .. I had these tires installed in may 2011..constant vibration, both front tires have been replaced twice due to broken belts, front right side is out of round ... I had to pay sears to diagnose this issue since pep boys wanted to try to blame it on my suspension lol .. I seen my Nissan dealer 2 times to check on suspension and they told me it those crappy generic tires I have!! I had all my suspension parts replaced in Jan 2011 drove months no problem. I get these tires put on may 2011 that's when all the problems started!!! Pep boys doesn't want to admit to these *** tires... I called customer service 6x's and nothing... Calling bbb next to file complaint and if that doesn't work I will be taking them to small claims court.. They need to stop messing with me cuz I can bring this if they want this!!
Reply to Lisa

Oct 03, 2011  from Morgan, Georgia
PepBoys CSR's are brain-washed.
We were offered three sets to replace old tires . . . X, Y or the COOPERS?

We are brand name consumers when it comes to safety . . . "WE WANT THE COOPERS!!"

Returned a few hours later & they put DEFINITY's on the car.
WHAT??? I thought we bought the COOPERS!!

The CSR keeps repeating, "they are a cheaper name tire made by COOPER"
We didn't want CHEAP tires!

I told him, "we wanted the COOPER tires- familiar name-branded tires"
WE DID NOT SAY, "sell us the DEFINITY's"
Reply to Syl in Cincy

Oct 03, 2011
Your math is fuzzy. You say they were replaced at 13,500 miles, but then you say they were shot after 25000 miles. Which is it?
Reply to LB

Sep 14, 2011
I bought 4 Definity Dakota tires on 5-20-2011 and HATE THEM!! I purchased 265/70/17 for a 2009 Dodge 1500 pick up. 2 have been replaced for being defective. I am still asking Pep Boys for a refund or exchange. Since purchase the tires have been a joke. The truck has pulled left and shakes roughly. I will never repurchase a Definity tire. I never had existing problems until tires were mounted on truck...I would advise anyone to stay away fron the brand...
Reply to C. B.

Aug 25, 2011
Actually its because of the reported tread depth in the computer is high so even if you bring in a new tire it will show low tread and rip you off. the proper way to get around that is measure old tire and new tire and put difference aginst the computer listed tread depth. If the advisor was honest he would have fixed it.
Reply to bob

Aug 16, 2011
Road hazard means you hit a pot hole or something, so why would you think they should replace them?
Reply to Tire Saleslady

Read next Pep Boys complaint

Don't list parts you don't have...

I went on to PepBoys web site and every part i tried to find,wouldn't come up.All it would show...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Pep Boys.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug