• show-popup

Location Miami Beach, Florida
Category Service Centers and Customer Services
Views 1810
Monetary Loss

Just like some of the other people on here, I too fell for the buy 3 tires get one free Pep Boys scam.I opted for the more expensive tires because ultimately they would cost the same as the lower-end tires, after the rebate.

I submitted for the rebate and I received a card a few weeks later stating "Installation Package must include Road Hazard Warranty". Nobody at the store disclosed this to me. I called the number on the post card. Spoke to both a rep and the supervisor.

Both were useless and told me to take it up with the store.

I'm thinking I'll file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General.This is deceptive advertising and it deserves a class action suit. 2f29614

Comments (29) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 29 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Dec 18, 2013  from Detroit, Michigan
Yeah yeah yeah. Read the form. I know you think someone else should do that for you. Maybe you should hire a lawyer to read for you. All tire rebates at pep boys are very specific.
Reply to Raeder

Dec 16, 2013  from Hampton, Virginia
Brought tires from Pep Boys and after reading the comments I feel lucky. I received the pep boy rebate along with the falkin tire rebate for a total of $189.00. I was thinking about going back to Pep Boys for tires for my infiniti, but reading the comments i'm beginning to have second thoughts.
Reply to jd

Nov 25, 2013
thanks for the caution notes. going elsewhere now.
Reply to tim

Jul 09, 2012
Got good tyres and got rebate. Trouble is, it is a PepBoys Visa card and only good for 3 months. Can I buy another tyre and take it back for cash? I would bet NOT! We will think of something, regardless. But we will not trust them again. Matter of fact, just who can we trust these days???
Reply to Marion

Jun 19, 2012
This buy 3 get one FREE is a scam. I did everything they told me to do at the store and my rebate was declined because I did not buy the $70.00 road hazard warranty, which the store rep told me I did not have to do. I will never darken their doors again. They are just bait and switch people, a real rip off.
Reply to Steve Roberts

Apr 01, 2012
Most of the gripes and groans I read are justified to a degree. PepBoys, like any auto repair/retail sales org is in business to make money. Since the company has grown so large, like any other business of it's kind, it's going to experience the pros and cons of professional employee service. Very few businesses that have grown to become nationwide from coast to coast offer flawless service. As Americans we too have developed expectations that all businesses should offer perfect service in every way. Businesses like McDonalds, and those of it's kind are unique and must maintain exceptional standards due to govt regulations in selling food products to the public, or they will be shut down. Some states grade restaurants with an A or B in the window. Non-food sales related businesses DO NOT have to hold to similar standards. This is why we the consumer must be so cautious and adamant about requesting information regarding sales promotions. It's unfortunate when some companies restrict facilities for employee use; however, keep in mind once employees have full run of a facility, there's usually one guy out there who screws it up for the rest of the team, nationwide. Not all people feel they need adhere to a standard discipline. This is an issue worldwide in any business. About this claim in being "Ripped-Off," there should have been an explanation of rebate requirements stipulated somewhere on the form. I am now looking at the same deal at a Pepboys near me. The form shows the... Show more
Reply to Watchdog

Jan 10, 2012  from Erode, Tamil Nadu
As I said before, if you think the customer gets ripped off, try working for these schmucks. One thing to watch out for they want their service writers to charge a $90.00 diagnotic fee on virtually EVERYTHING, even when the problem is completly obvious. It's just another way of gouging the customer for another 100 bucks. Also, this is the first auto service company that makes it's employees pay for the priviledge of working on their own vehicles, when their shifts are done, and if there is an unused bay. What a bunch of money-grubbers.
Reply to berserkr

Dec 29, 2011
the service writer should have told you about the road hazard warranty, it is required for the rebate, I would call the corporate phone number and start there
Reply to random guy

Dec 29, 2011  from Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand
If you think its bad takingv your vehicle to them, you ought to try working for these schmucks. Thanks to the economy, I was forced to take a job with them, after working at real auto service facilites for more than 10 years. their whole pay structure for both mechanics and service advisors encourages over selling, and in the short time there, I have seen more mistakes ande botched reopairs, (never owned up to, of course), more uneeded work, more taking advantage of state vehicle inspections, and more actual arguements with customers, than in all my years experince combined. If you think you have been ripped off, don't waste your time with the BBB, as they have no actual authority. Instead call your STATE (not local police, or Highway Patrol, or state Attorny General's office and ask to talk to the Vehicle fraud division, even if they can't help you directly they work on the assumption of where there's smoke, there's probaly fire, and if there are enough complaints, they will launch an investigation. or call the local TV station, talk to their consumer advocate. These companies hate bad publicity, particularly if it gets to a national program like 60 minutes or 20-20.
Reply to berserkr

Nov 29, 2011
When you are the consumer and you are paying for a service, wouldn't you ask details of everything your paying for? Don't blame the store, or in this case the company as a whole, if you didn't do your research.
Reply to Phila

Oct 21, 2011
Rude customer service!! why in the *** I settle for this garbage while I am paying big $$. I got ripped off battery warranty, I got ripped off my rebate buy 3 get 1 off!! the guy was a Jew aslo, he didn't even care!!!
Bottom line shame on me because I was fckd twice! Never again.
Reply to Kenny Robert

Oct 19, 2011
I will never go there anymore because I bought the 3 for 1 free and was denied my rebate!
Reply to Pepsboysrphuckinbitches

Sep 17, 2011
These Jew boy *** have been bending consumers over for years. Surprised they are still around. Even more surprised that consumers haven't wised up to these schlocks.
Reply to Mr D

Sep 03, 2011
IT'S CALLED DUE DILAGENSE!!!!!!! Don't blame others for your lack of!!!
Reply to RWN

Aug 23, 2011
They never put oil in my car after I had service there. The engine burned up. They suck!!! STAY AWAY FROM PEP BOYS
Reply to al

Jun 20, 2011
everyone at pepboys acts like they know what theyre talking about and try to sound like they know what to sell but the moral of their whole scheme is get money and *** the customers. yall are all dumb pepboys just needs to be shut down
Reply to pepboyssucksdick

Apr 22, 2011
They had a special on alignments so i told them to do it as well. But then they told me that my car needed ball joints upper and lower when they only had 42000 miles on them. Took it to another place and they told me it was fine and they aligned it and its great. Guess they got mad because i didn't buy the tires at an inflated price
Reply to Louisville KY

Apr 22, 2011
I went to pep boys for the buy 3 get one free funny thing is all the tires that were on the buy one get one free don't fit many cars they are od ball sizes. they didn't even have a size close to mine. So i advise to stear clear of Pep Boys They alson informed me they would not install any size but what came on my car.Many people put over sized tires on there cars. So why not just go some where that they acomadate the costomer nit them selves.
Reply to Louieville KY

Apr 22, 2011
I just saw the great price on 215 60 17 tires 4 for 325.00. I suspected the road hazard item wouldn't be cheap. Tires have a warranty. Why pay twice for the same thing. It only costs 20.00 to fix a flat, not FIFTY-FIVE DOLLARS !
Reply to Mike

Mar 08, 2011
Here is the thing. I bought tires for my sebring. The sales staff are VERY CLEAR on what NOT to tell you in order to make the sale. Now I DID buy all of items (stems, hazzard, balance) and still was denied the rebate. Not only will I never be back but I am telling EVERYONE where not to go.
Reply to Johnny Steele

Read next Pep Boys complaint

Car DEAD

Had 2,000 work on my car done!Had radiator flush done and the flush they put in EAT-up Aluminium rad...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Pep Boys.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug