• show-popup

Product / Service Advertised Paint Job
Location Reston, Virginia
Category Service Centers and Customer Services
Views 3434

After noting all the TV Ads, I visited a Maaco shop and inquired about the advertised $249 paint job.
They informed me that for my car the prices started at about $600, but preparation work would be $800 to prepare for painting. This is false advertising and
bait and switch at its best. They had no intention of offering to paint my car for $249 or anything close to that price. They showed absolutely no interest in havng me as a customer or offering to
meet their advertised prices and services. I am
happily telling all my associates about this tota;
lack of integrity. 2f0f05a

Comments (63) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 63 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Feb 09
The same happened to me at Maaco in Grand Junction, CO. The advertised TV price went from $249 to $600. Asking what happened to the TV price I was told that was just the "starting" price. What a joke!
Reply to Jed

Nov 29, 2013  from Bangalore, Karnataka

Here are a few things that may or may not
be useful to those of you doing your own body and paint work. Hopefully some of them will
save you some time, a few dollars and get your job to turn out better.

1. Have you ever noticed how a painter can tear a piece of sandpaper in half and it's straight, almost as
if it was cut? Always fold it grit side to grit side FIRST. Crease it between your thumbnail and finger and
then fold it backwards and do the same, then once more grit to grit and it should tear straight. Folding grit to
grit first breaks the "back" of the sandpaper. Fold it the other way first and it'Il tear where it wants to.

2. Note that a sanding block has a round "top" with less sharp corners. Put your paper on the top side for sanding
reverse curves.

3. Having a sanding block for each grit of sandpaper not only saves you the time of changing sandpaper when you need
a different grit, but also saves sandpaper too. Leaving the 80-grit on the 80 block gives you a chance to wear it
out before you take it off.

4. The longer the block, the better the blocking.

5. Tape will stretch when taping a curve one way better than the other will.

6. You can force a cord or coated wire under rubber to lift it up for sanding and painting. Works great on the rubber
around windows.

7. If tape won't stick to
... Show more
Reply to 66manoj44

Sep 13, 2013  from St. Petersburg, Florida
What a BIG BIG RIP-OFF. I took my Mercedes Benz to the MAACO repair shop in Clearwater,Fl.The sales manager Mike Saez gave me the estimate of around $600.00 and for which I agreed. I got the repair work done and brought my car home. Later on I noticed the paint on the trim of the car was not done and I could clearly see that it was around 2 inches.I took my car back to them but to my big surprise I was being told that it was not included in the repair price and I will have to pay extra for that. I explained it to Mike Saez again that when I brought the car for repair ,it was for entire damage then he started showing me the paper work, another dirty trick. Any how I will strongly suggest any body planning to go to MAACO than get ready for A BIG RIP-OFF and PAIN.
Reply to Manny Gupta

Aug 19, 2013
Ihad the same thing with them in Arizona. they dont have a 249.00 paint job. it's ***. $600.00 was the quote i got. that's two paint jobs. acording to the adverted price. shame on them. :(
Reply to dooley

Aug 12, 2013  from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
picked car up..3 dings in windshield..told me "normal road wear" job was so sloppy..took back for buff out..manager said dirt under paint...had window guy sign paper..maaco did not ding winshield..although told worker 2 dings were new??? chris was mgr..rude to say least..someone leaned on fender to work on car totally scratched..they buffed it..looks horrible..when i was there..i noticed guy with set of about 100 keys hanging from his saggy pants..i thought to myself yup..wore under suit to do my car..been pleased in past..but this vss was horrible..go somewhere else>>
Reply to Toots

Aug 06, 2013  from Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Believe it or not I love Maaco. I got a Honda Civic painted there 3 years ago. When the process began I was told it would take five days, and they called me in three saying the car was ready to be picked up and charged me 425 dollars (A much better price than any other shop around)! I sold the Honda four months ago and there was no paint bubbles or chips formed after two and a half years. I bought a 2009 lancer and the paint has already bubbled and chipped, I find a new blemish everyday, Maaco will be getting my business sooner than later. It may have something to do with the shops by you guys, cause the one in Bethlehem, PA is incredible.
Reply to Hunter

Aug 05, 2013  from Redding, California
This comment is the truth. there are people associated with Maaco kissing their butts here but BOTTOM LINE they won't just do a $249.00 paint job you MUST get their prep work and anal reaming or go somewhere else. (at least that's what they told me and someone I know who got the same lesson from them)

It is well known that Maaco has gotten away with this "Bait and switch" for years, how? who the heck knows. They obviously have their ways to bend the laws to do it. so much for consumer protection and fair advertising. It is extremely misleading to advertise paint jobs for $249.00 then tell you that you have to get body prep, anal lube, Maaco rectal stretching, etc added to the price for many times more than the advertised paint job price of $249.00. There is a special place in *** for this type of honesty.
Reply to bang Ding Owe

Aug 02, 2013
Bottom line these guys painting know how to lay the paint down that's all they do you want to save money prep your vehicle before you take it in Materials are expensive so if you cheap out and get the bottom of the line paint, your price is the paint buy the job with the better material that will hold up and they will give you a peel and fade warranty you get what you pay for Maaco has painted several cars for me and they do as well as any one , if you prep you cars before you take them in, they will turn out great thats what it takes to get good results
Reply to Anonymous

Jun 02, 2013
u get what you pay for take it to a real shop and see what it cost .I run a shop 25 years now 249,00 for a paint job the material cost me more then what they charge .u take it to maaco you got excactly what you paid for a *** job you pay for usa products its gonna last you buy made in china u got what you paid for *** don't feel sorry for any *** that thinks hes gonna get a A. one paint job your gonna pay for one u want *** work take it to earl shive or maaco .
Reply to quit whining

Oct 03, 2012
Just got my car painted at Maaco last week. I'm not sold on the job they did but time will tell. For starters, my car was candy apple red (metallic) but upon picking it up, it looks like they used a lot less metallic flakes in the paint than was used originally. From a distance it just looks like a flat maroon-ish color until you get up close and can see that it's metallic. The service advisor told me that he would match the color up perfectly but that wasn't true. Also, they managed to paint the lower portion of the radiator (the part that visible near the bumper) and some pieces that were black rubber. They also painted the part of the door lock where you put the key. Small things but it shows a lack of attention to detail. Overall, even with my complaints, the paint job actually looks pretty good. I paid for the $1299 job so am hoping it will last but like I said, time will tell. I may be back in a couple of months with a true horror story!
Reply to Blaximus

Sep 16, 2012
I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, I'v had for less than two years. It looks like it has been half assed repainted. It has white spots (due to wet stuff sitting on it)and I'm wondering what to do. Buff the *** out of it or get it repainted. NO body work needed and I would keep it the same color.
Reply to Diane

Aug 02, 2012
i agree that you get what you pay for, but maaco is still garbage for their promise of a "good" paint job just to get people in the door and then tell them its actually going to be more. the people who go for deals like that do not have the money to blow on and to insult them is ignorant.
Reply to dave

Jun 06, 2012
I would definitely reecnmomd priming it. you should use a latex primer sealer designed to stick to glossy surfaces. then paint with a latex interior paint in the finish of your choice. i would suggest a semi-gloss to give you a better/more durable finish. i would not suggest using an oil, as they are getting to be very expensive, and a lot a regions will be forced by the EPA to stop selling in the next couple years. also, try to get a premixed black. don't let the paint store tint it black. if the store you go to doesn't have black already on the shelf, go to another store. if they mix it, the paint wont do as well. i would apply a couple coats of paint and not coat with a lacquer/varnish. these types of product WILL YELLOW over time. they get more yellow, and cloudy as time goes by. if you MUST clear coat, use a latex polyurethane. it will stay completely clear.I would suggest:Primer:Benjamin Moore Fresh start All purpose primer 023-00finish: Benjamin Moore Ironclad Latex Metal & Wood Enamel 363-80Clear(if you must):Benjamin Moore Stays Clear LAtex Polyurethane
Reply to Anna

Feb 04, 2012
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry ... Show more
Reply to sht

Jan 24, 2012  from Arouca, Saint George
:) :grin ;) 8) :p :sigh :zzz :upset :eek :roll :? :cry :( :x too funny
Reply to papi

Jan 23, 2012
Paint is a finish. The money is in the body work. Maaco is good if you use their service properly. Drop your car off and expect to pick up a work of art :cry .

But if you prep it properly, and deliver it to them well sanded with all imperfections fixed. You wil be happy with the results :grin
Reply to Meme

Jan 03, 2012
hey its maaco they dont say leave the windows down and get the inside for free. i learned after my firt accident never go to a big buisiness they dont give a *** about you they make all excuses they can to make it your fault. find a small guy that is local and you will get the best paint job you have ever seen.
Reply to dodge dude

Dec 08, 2011
@anonymous: What type of vehicle do you have? What issues do you have with the paint? Peeling? Delaminating? Rust? Micro checking? Bad body work? Any of these problems would have to be addressed before your car's surface is suitable for painting. Even with the cheap enamel paint, peeling paint can cause your repair to be over $1000...easy.
Reply to kenrosejr

Read next MAACO complaint

maaco shop manager insults a paying customer,...

in July of 1992 in Calgary, Canada we took our 1980 Mercury Capri in to maaco to have their $400 &qu...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about MAACO.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug