• show-popup

Product / Service Paint Job Advertise
Location Phoenix, Arizona
Category Service Centers and Customer Services
Views 2978

Macco Phoenix Arizona Febuary 24 2011, I went to Macco today about the 299.00 special they are advertising on TV only to find out that is not the case.There are other charges.

There is a 149.00 prep. They said out the door it will be 542.00, did I mention they are only painting the upper half of my car. How does 299 and 149 come to 542? After reading all of these complaints I can see I am not the only one having second thoughts on this.

Personally I think this is false advertising.i think this is a shame. 2f2f009

Comments (35) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 35 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Oct 21, 2013  from Mesa, Arizona
Um... Sanding and prepwork is not that hard. I sanded and prepped a jeep cheokee. Took maybe an hour and a half. Then i painted it. It turned out nice for a rockcrawler. I honestly dont see where they get the extra cost from. Materials are not that expensive unless theyre buying super high end stuff which i doubt.
Reply to TigerLily

Sep 17, 2013  from Atlanta, Georgia
First of all if you think about it, years ago when Maaco said $299, $399, $499 That ALWAYS included prep and priming. We learn the hard way that this $299 price is just a number to get us to come in...How in the H*** do you expect the average customter to come in with his car PREPPED???!?!?!?! EVERYBODY on the planet knows that a paint job is a paint job (prime & paint) We dont expect perfection for $299, but at least do what you SAY!!! Or TELL the TRUE PRICE in the advertisement. It is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT regardless of you sneaking something like "paint package only" in the Ad...Who the H*** knows what the "paint package" is ??? BE HONEST!!!!
Reply to Ceelo

Sep 17, 2013  from Atlanta, Georgia
You are definitely right about this false advertisement! I went to one in Ga for the $299 special and it came to $599!!! They said its $299 if you prime and prep it yourself!!! What the!!!
Reply to Ceelo

Sep 06, 2013  from Bellevue, Washington
The very, very small print says "paint only". Used them a couple years ago & it took them 2 weeks to paint a door. Give these guy a wide birth.
Reply to conchetta

Aug 14, 2013  from Waukegan, Illinois
When I saw the tv advertisement for $299.00 I knew it would be a shame. A while back my mom took her car a special they had before like this one, they will paint your car for that price and nothing else ! No taping or prep just paint ! Save your time and money
Reply to Bert

Jul 28, 2013  from Lawrenceville, Georgia
I have seen a lot of commercials for Maaco and thought it was a good deal for a paint job. When doing research on paint jobs, your not getting much for $300. Never knew about prework but makes sense on how they make their money on fill in, detail and all the little stuff. A good not great paint job will cost you about $2000 and $4000 for a great one. I see myself as if I'm going to spend that much on a paint job, I'm better off buying a new car instead if it's not a special design paint job or I just love my car model and year. Always look at the fine print on those stuff.
Reply to feinburgrl

Apr 17, 2013
Yea< I've heard good and bad about maaco. The most recent good thing? I talked to a guy I know the other day and happened to get on this very subject. Hes had several cars/trucks painted by this company with great results. The oldest maaco paint job he had done was 19 years ago and the paint is just now starting to peel up. I need my truck painted very soon....considering this place. This is key: The more DIY prep work=the cheaper the "out the door" cost.
Reply to rat

Apr 26, 2013  from Dothan, Alabama
Had my car painted about 7 months ago at Maaco now the entire top of the car is peeling off Kiss that $500.00 goodby I had it done in Dothan Al.

Reply to Dj

Mar 02, 2013  from Stockton, California
I have had my BMW and my Volvo painted by stockton Macao and they did a nice job. They are selling a paint job not offering to restore your car. You folks should go to hardware store and price how much it would cost just for masking materials not to mention paint. Should the person applying the paint get some money too
Reply to David W

May 09, 2013  from Annapolis, Maryland
no! They should be nice and do it for free! Us hard working people deserve it for free once in a while
Reply to pissed customer

May 20, 2013  from Rocklin, California
you must be a 99% DUMB *** stating you deserve it for free - the owners of the Maaco should pay their employees to paint your car and you get it all for free you are a true LOSER
Reply to cargal

Jul 30, 2013  from Los Angeles, California
wow... trouble identifying sarcasm much?

Aug 17, 2013  from Rantoul, Illinois
You are a ***. It was sarcasm. Go *** yourself.

Nov 21, 2012
They did a great job on a car I'm going to keep for a couple more years. I could have paid more, but I even got them to come down a little more AND they'll pass the discount to another car I intend to get painted. Very friendly too. No not the best paint job, but these are everyday cars too.
Reply to 3crazy dogs

Oct 01, 2012
Ok people I don't want to hear about $1000.00, $2000.00 OR $8000.00 dollar paint jobs. Focus. No one is asking you to brag. We know $299.00 is the price a professional paint job will cost. That is what maaco is advertising. They should get sued for lying. I have gone in person only to be told they offer a few colors and not what you want. Yes they are liers. out the door they told me it would cost 1500.00 for painting a vw GTI.
Reply to Carlos in CALIFORNIA

Jul 10, 2013
Watch the commercial again. It says $299.95 on a paint package but not prep work. The $299.99 is for paint and warranty but the sanding and primer is extra. Like the person above said, price out how much is needed to do the work and then ask yourself is it worth $500 for a good paint job. As for the quality it is a production shop therefore you get the best work for the price not a perfect paint job. If you want perfection take it to a custom shop and pay the $5000.00 plus. Break it down it takes two employees to sand a car with more materials two hours at $8.00 an hour. The electricity it cost to do the prep. Then you have to consideration of the masking materials and wages of the gentleman doing the masking, then the paint that goes into painting a vehicle, and after that you have a detail-er. All in all you are looking at 3 days of wages for employees, materials, electricity, ect.. and you complain about $500 for a paint job.
Reply to queen

Aug 09, 2012
I am a female who wholesales a few cars a month and have been around the auto business my whole life and I am 40ish, All the retail Paint Shops out there take Such advantage of the average consumer!! I have an Incredibly Honest, fair, Paint and Bodyman that Does Excellent work! Integrity PLUS Business! Tell him Monica sent you, But I have never done this so don't Overwhelm him, Lol, And my stuff comes first! Randy's Bodyshop in Olathe on Roger's Road 913-393-3065, Great family business, Once you go there, That will be the Place you take All Your Vehicles in the Future Knowing You Will Be Taken Care Of Not Taken Advantage Of!!! Remember, Tell him Monica sent you and he will Hook You Up!! God Bless
Reply to MO

May 13, 2012
A few times now I've called Maaco regarding their 'so called specials for $299.00. When I tell them what I need for my old-er car each time(basic paint job)it goes up to $650. Why do they advertise something that is NOT true? How can they get away with this legally? Not kool.
Reply to Shelley

Dec 13, 2012  from Aurora, Colorado
It depends on what you want for your car. A low cost $299.00 car painting does not include any body labor (if your car has dings or other damage.) The warranty is minimal (1 year only).
IF you wanted a more decent paint job, then you have to pay more. The $299 is usually used by people who want to make a quick sell on their car. IT is always what customer wants. I would not paint my car for $299, but different people have different requests and different needs. Maaco has a budget for everyone. They can do high quality jobs for more than $1,000 or they can do a quick paint for $299. Again, it comes down to a "Budget for everyone!!!"
And that is why Maaco is the lead in the car painting business.
Reply to jovanbregu

May 07, 2012
I drove 1.15 hr. On a sat. Only to find maaco closed. Web. And hr. On door said sat. 9.to12 . Clarksville tn.
Reply to clint

Read next MAACO complaint

Maaco Presidential Paint Job lasted 1 Day, Not 2...

This is a case of not getting what I paid for, and the Maaco franchise owner in Lake Park, Florida i...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about MAACO.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug