• show-popup

Shares 0

Lowes kitchen installer ruined my floor. I ordered Shenandoah kitchen cabinets

Company Lowes
Product / Service Kitchen Installation
Location Leesburg, Florida
Category Supermarkets and Malls
Views 592

I ordered Shenandoah kitchen cabinets and granite countertops totalling $20,000 from Lowes.I chose Lowed installation service at $2995 but when their installer came to measure and look at the job, she charged us an extra point, $299.50 because extra work would be involved in floor preparation.

Day of installation, the cabinets were placed and leveled on TOP of the edge of our existing laminate flooring. I asked the installer to trim the flooring so that the base counters would rest on the concrete floor and not on the edge of the laminate. He told me that wasn't part of their service and it was standard procedure to set the cabinet on top of, or in this case, on the edge of the flooring. Trim would cover anything that might show.

I was very concerned as I thought laminate floors needed expansion space. The Lowes installer, Dave, assured me this 'no problem' and 'done all the time'. Now, remember, I paid $299.50 extra for this installation. Within 6 weeks of the cabinet install, my beautiful laminate floors started to show signs of buckling.

I wrote Lowes April llth for assistance in correcting the problem. I had Empire Today, my original floor installation company, come and look at the problem. Although they charged me $1800 to 'fix' what they could, the cabinets were firmly sunk into the laminate and firmly held the planks so that those trapped under the dabinet edge had to remain in place. So, $1800 of my own money was spent trying to fix the Lowe's installer's mess.

Now it is September 27, 2009 and Lowes has been to 'look' at the problem 3 times but nothing has been done to date. I took time off work to meet with one of their floor specialists, Mark. He assured me that his report would be in their hands that very day. Of course 3 days later no one was 'available' when I dropped into the store.

The Manager Chas and the Installation Manager TJ we 'out'. Two days later, no call from Lowes. I called again and was told by TJ that he needed someone to come out to the house and measure for replacement flooring but that no one was available. He said he'd call me back that very afternoon.

Now 3 days later, still no call back. Lowes is giving me the the runaround!!! My floors are getting worse as the twisting planks are spreading ... first the kitchen, then the entranceway (encumbered by the peninsula) and now down the hallway.

Pretty soon Lowes is going to have to replace my entire house flooring if they don't hurry.Incidentially, in case thous sounds petty, Empire Today was originally paid $9,000 for the job and then $1,800 for repairs, and the floors were beautiful before the Lowes installation disaster. 2efb823

Comments (22) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 22 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Oct 21, 2013
laminate over concrete???? moisture issue directly coming from the concrete. Not a good idea to put any type of wood based product over concrete. Some concrete floors can emitlarge amounts of moisture through them. That is why the boards are buckling. Also, why would there be buckling in an entranceway, and hallway which isn't even near the cabinets.
Reply to moisture

Dec 27, 2011
My husband and I just had our whole kitchen done by Lowes...Cabinets, flooring & countertops. We had no problems at all and we love the results. The cabinet installer was one of the nicest people and did a fantastic job on the cabinets. The contractor who did the countertops was just as good. I have no complaints and I had no problems.
Reply to Happy Customer

Dec 21, 2011
LOL at *** spends 20K on cabs and counters and is too cheap to buy a real floor. Good luck, teabagger...
Reply to BeenThereDoneThat

May 17, 2011
If you buy cheap laminate up to 2$/SF this is what you get. You get buckling and splitting.
Buy 4$/SF laminate and you can place anything on top of it. It says so on the warranty.
Reply to quality handyman

Jan 17, 2011
I had wretched experience with a Lowe's bathroom vanity purchase and installation.
Lowe's tried to cheat us out of our original purchase. Assigned an installer who didn't know what he was doing and didn't have the tools to do it. Lied to us. Wasted two days of my husband's time. And to top it off, no apology.

They tried to charge me twice for the same vanity. I had to call up and down the corporate chain to get them to admit I'd already paid for it.

When the installer came the first time, he didn't have the tools to drill the vanity top for the faucet installation. Lowe's promised me they'd send it out again with the holes predrilled. The installer went back to pick it up. No holes drilled. My husband had to use his tools, which weren't the proper tools, and help the installer drill the holes.

I won't set foot in Lowe's ever again. They're happy to take your money (twice, if they can), but don't deliver what they promise.
Reply to Stuart

Sep 28, 2010
Been waiting now for 3 weeks for my Wirlpool Range to be delivered and installed. I'm on my 2nd installer, the first came and took all the measurements and charged $35 and then never came back. Found out they were fired by Lowes but no one kept up on my order. New guys came to day and measured and promised an answer in 1 hour. 4 hours later, no joy

My atep son took a look and said the rage won't fit without cutting the countertop and cabinet face (news to me and never commented on by either Lowes installer). Turns out a 30" range is actually 30 3/4" wide!
Well I guess I was misled by Lowes Salesman, and 2 installers.

Oh yeah, just noticed that the second guy has screwed up the laminate when he shoved he old range back in place with his feet!
Reply to Jim in FLA

Sep 26, 2010
Just buy dont buy a kitchen from lowes they take you money and dont care :(
Reply to mike foster

Sep 26, 2010
Just buy dont buy a kitchen from lowes they take you money and dont care :(
Reply to mike foster

May 18, 2010
I agree and know just what you are going through. I spent 15000.00 at lowes for cabinets. When the installer came out to put the counter top on he messed up by not cutting the top correctly. Has cost me alot of money and time to make it look right. I wouldn't recommend Lowes to anyone.I'ts been 5 months just on counter tops. Pissed ;) :(
Reply to Lowe's sucks 5-18-2010

Mar 01, 2010
I have been a contractor for Lowes, have worked for Lowes, and I still run crews all over the east coast. Retailer4life is probably a nobody who cannot get promoted so he bashes whatever he can. ALL installers are required to carry huge amounts of insurance. Try getting your floor replaced by a guy who doesnt have insurance...im sure you would remeber to sign a contract with him too.. people crack me up...how would a cabinet make your entire floor buckle? doesnt make any sense.
Reply to Clearly

Feb 09, 2010
I thank you, just got a quote from HD for 20k plus for cabinets and was considering Lowes. NOT NOW after reading this you have saved me a bundle.
Reply to Frank

Feb 04, 2010
I have worked for Lowe's for 7 years,5 in the Install sales office & now a Kitchen Project Manager. Lowe's stands behind every install & warranty their installers work for 1 year. Something does not sound right,call the district aim or cpo & let them know whats going on. No one,I mean no one stands behind their products & labor better than Lowe's.
Reply to Dave

Nov 28, 2009
If the installed sales office in the store cares anything about lowes and their customers. They will not have a substandard installer working for them. It causes them as much pain as it causes the customer. Believe me.
Reply to tamara

Nov 22, 2009
I've had both lowes and HD install things in my homes. But it wasn't very pleasant either time. As was said by the lowes employee the hire subs. And the subs are a *** shoot.

I went to lowes recenlty to get a price on cabinets and the guy was such an *** I walked out. I guess I'll buy mine at HD.
Reply to Never again with lowes

Oct 31, 2009
I have worked for lowe's for 15 years, and have been the manager of the installation department for 7 years. Believe me when I say this, if the installer did what you say he did. LOWE'S WILL TAKE CARE OF THE ISSUE. Lowe's as a company will go as far as they needed to make a customer happy. You just haven't talked to the right people. You need to call the Area Install Manager or the corporate office, since the store doesn't seem to know how to deal with the issue. Every company has people that just don't care, but we do want to know who they are by our customers. This seems to be the case. A professional inspector needs to be hired by lowe's and he will determine what caused the problem. This inspector will not be affilliated with lowe's, so the report will be unbiased. Please call the customer service # 1-800-44lowes, and see what they can get done for you. This goes to the corporate office and then back to the store. But it is treated differently, because the corporate office has been alerted about it. It will be investigated, and if determined that the installer caused it by sitting the cabinets on the laminate, then Lowe's will replace it. But the inspector must make this determination not a lowe's employee or another contractor.

Sorry this store isn't following lowe's customer service guidelines. We always want Happy Customers period. That has always been Lowe's most important thing.
Reply to lowesinstallinfo

Oct 24, 2009
Box stores are exactly what it says. Never, I repeat never let a lowes installer install something for you. Just because someone has a pickup full of tools doesnt mean that they are a finished carpenter. Finish work requires a finished carpenter. Talk to general contractors that builds expensive homes and they will probably recomend someone for the job since they share this information, in an effort to keep the good installers buisy
Reply to written by pete

Oct 17, 2009
Assuming that is what the "Installers" wanted to do! Keeping busy by "word of mouth" is great if you want to have your own business, hire people and like dealing with all of the issues...

However, I agree with Retailer4life on the first part. I wouldn't let Lowes go near my house. They hide behind the name "Lowes" expecting it to cover their poor management skills and follow-up.
Their idea of accountability is blaming non managers for their own mistakes and then they won't even come out to your house to face you and help fix problems!
Reply to Ethics

Oct 02, 2009
Let's built something together!
Like a disaster.
www.firerobertniblock.com
Reply to Lowe's Blows!

Oct 01, 2009
I am a Manager for Lowes and I assure you our Installers are the cream of the crop They have to have background checks as well as carry a healthy amount of insurance. But with anything there is good and bad with everything and it sounds like you got the bad. You need to ask to speak to the AIM or Area Installation Manager explain the situation have them come look and they will hold the Installer accountable and take care of the 1900 dollars you had to pay.
Reply to lowes will be there

Read next Lowes complaint

Lowe's 1 Day Appliance Delivery Promise is a SHAM

Lowe's advertises that they will install an appliance the next day. I am on day 8 and despite c...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Lowes.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug