• show-popup

Product / Service Long Distance Phone Service
Location Chicago, Illinois
Category Home Phone
Views 262

Beware of this ***!!! They lie and trick you into switching to their long distance service by saying that they actually ARE your local phone provider (AT&T in my case) and charge you various fees when the process is complete (even if you wish to cancel it immediately).

Hope it helps. 2e4ff66

Comments (73) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 73 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Jan 28
I just had the exact same thing happen to me, though I have Verizon. He was livid and hung up on me when I told him I wasn't interested...
Reply to Baronessa

Dec 27, 2012
I just got a call from them. They said they were calling because Centurylink wants to switch over to Long Distance America for long distance services and the FCC requires a phone verification. I thought it was weird cause we don't have Centurylink. She said that it's only for Arizona and it goes through Centurylink because they do the line services. Before the rep switched me over for verification, I told her that I would need to talk with my parents first before doing anything so she stopped there. I did some googling and found this site.
Since I didn't say "yes" to anything, we should be ok right?
Reply to cali

Jun 06, 2012
American Select did the same thing to me. They were still billing me even though I have Fios. They do allow third party billing it's on my bill in black and white I am waiting for my refund. I 'll be surprised if I ever receive one.
Reply to Sue in Long Island

Apr 12, 2012
This is the biggest scam. They have the rudest people working for them. I called to cancel service and I spoke to Jessica, George and the so-called supervisor Britney. Watch out for these people, they are scam artist just collecting your money.
Reply to L.d

Feb 26, 2012
I went to the website www.idamerica.info and got nothing about the phone service that long distance america said i would find on this site.
Also i called the phone no. they gave me for customer service and got a non-professional, "no one can answer your call at this time", a legitimate co. would give,even in an automated answering service, their co.name followed by company service hours and perhaps other brief info. I believe this is bogus. I am contacting my phone co. tomorrow to get this mistake straightened out!!!
Reply to very disappointed Wood

Feb 22, 2012
I was told that I was speaking with someone from Verizon (my phone service provider), and never once did they say "Long Distance America". I was told that my phone bill could be cut in half given that I rarely use it. It's true that I rarely use my land line, but my phone bill increased by 40% immediately upon switching. How pathetic that companies like this are allowed to operate in the United States.
Reply to Long Distance America should b

Feb 03, 2012
Addendum: Although there are others in our telemarketing room who would make you think otherwise, I have always been clear that I am simply representing an alternative long-distance carrier that has (through USBI) a billing agreement simply consolidating our charges with the local phone company's bill. Many reps will give you the serious impression that they are calling with your local phone company - a practice which I detest - but the fact is that it's just an alternative long distance carrier that has an agreement with the local service provider to allow USBI billing consolidation on the phone bill. As I mentioned earlier - for some folks I believe that alternative long distance carriers can be cheaper. I just don't like the way *some* reps tend to "sell" it.
Reply to Gloomberglotz

Feb 03, 2012
I recently took on a job at a call center telemarketing for Long Distance America, Online Savings, etc., being billed by USBI. What I was told was that these companies in many circumstances save folks a few dollars a month assuming they're using an old-school land-line and making long-distance calls. I was told that the companies I am marketing for charge a $5.95 long-distance access fee (and I remember back in the old Bellsouth days this fee was much higher) and that the rates are 9.9 cents per minute for the U.S. and Canada. We DO require an independent recorded verification of the switch of long-distance carrier providers. I take great pains to explain in detail to the prospects that I have spoken to exactly (to the best of my knowledge) what is going on and what will happen. However, in order to make quotas, I have heard reps in my own telemarketing room misleading people to believe that AT&T is dropping their long-distance carrier & that if they don't sign up with (insert long distance carrier name here) that they will lose their long distance service by March 1. In my opinion, some folks wanting to make quotas mislead people in order to get the "sale", whereas others (who don't misrepresent intentionally and actually describe what is going on) typically don't make quota. For myself, I'm quitting the job. Being honest regarding the transaction IS getting me some honest people switching carriers because it is advantageous for them - but frankly I will not mislead... Show more
Reply to Gloomberglotz

Feb 01, 2012
Just got off phone after spending a good part of an hour with rep 7527 from Long Distance America. These people arte quite good at what they do to get you to sign up with them. They even told me that they represented my phone company Verizon which is not my provider. I was informed that I would save upto 40%. I went along with answering clearly YES as I was instructed to do when transferred to their verification dept. It sounded so professional until I was told that there might be a charge to switch over to them. I asked WHY a short time later, they disconnected. I got this phone number off my caller ID CCC (248)415-4453. I called it back mechanically answered " Customer Care Center, we are unable to answer at the present time. If you would like to place on our do not call list,say so...I am totally disgusted with these high pressure,tricky, misleading or even lying sales tactics that I feel should be considered a misdemeanor and treated as such by Federal Govt Agencies:(
Reply to Vern Hadaway

May 14, 2013  from Columbia, South Carolina
They said they were with my AT&T company, I fell into giving them the information the first time about 2 weeks ago, so they called back today and said it was rejected. I immediately hung up he called back and I hung up again. I had a feeling something wasn't right.
Reply to netta

Jan 30, 2012
I fell for their scam I have been dealing with them for two months! When I complained about my number being used for calls they tried to tell me I was having home invasions all day every day and was unaware of them. The second person told me the first person would have never said that!! THEY ARE LIARS!!!!RUDE AND IGNORANT!!!!
Reply to Frafin

Jan 27, 2012
Long Distance America tries to trick you by saying they are your phone company..but they are not...beware!!!!They are scammers!!!
Reply to Liars!!!

Jan 27, 2012
They called my phone and tried to scam me as well but I didn't fall for it. The lady on the phone was very good at her job but that a telemarketer..beware of these scams.
Reply to Don'tFallForIt

Jan 23, 2012
:p Long distance america is the bussiness . You do get somethings lowered off the bill. STOP HATING
Reply to sophi

Jan 13, 2012
I just had the conversation with one of these operators - I listened and answered for awhile - when she got to the questions - I did the sorry not interested plus the abrupt hangup - to get off the line. PEOPLE - IF IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS - NOBODY GIVES YOU SOMETHING FOR NOTHING - CASINOS ARE NOT THERE BECAUSE THEY LOSE MONEY AKA THERE ARE MORE LOSERS THAN WINNERS
Reply to William

Oct 14, 2011
Also scammed by these people. Horrible, still trying to get their charges stopped.
Reply to HY

Oct 01, 2011
I was also duped by this company pretending to be part of Verizon. I called to cancel after the first month of my bill doubling.
When I called to cancel I was told that it may take up to 3 months to get the charges off of my acct, but I was given a confirmation number and a phone number to call and was told that my acct would be credited back if that was to happen.
Of course, it did happen and the phone number I was given is invalid. There if an answering machine that answers, no ID of what company I am calling, and the machine just says, "leave a message after the beep" - there is no beep and the phone gets disconnected. Verizon gave me another number to call (that was on my bill) - the call goes into the same answering machine with no beep. Verizon put a block on my acct. however, I guess I will not get my acct, credited for the last 2 months they billed my for.
It really upsets me to think that a company can really employee people without a conscience - and even worse not have a conscience themselves. I have learned not to answer my phone.
Reply to ElleH

Sep 30, 2011
Just hung up from talking to a Jay Adelstone an employee for American Select Long Distance provider who works with AT&T at 877-839-6347.I felt suspicious when Jay instructed me to answer 'YES' to all of a 3rd party scripted questions that he was going to allow to come on the phone. He said this 3rd party could not answere any of my questions. If questions came up, I had to ask to be transferred back to him. He would answer all of my questions. I looked up this site as Jay was talking. Thanks to the comments, I told Jay his company's customer ratings were poor and I had to do some research first and then decide if I want to sign up for his long distance service. We are in a recession. We must be very careful. There are many up and coming sophisticated/legitimate scam artist out there. My rule is...never do business before checking out the company first. Believe me, I have learned my lesson(s) by experience!!!
Reply to Gloria

Sep 24, 2011
I just called AT&T to do this, but most of their offices are closed. That's why the m0ther ****rs call on Saturday. Moral of the story...this will go through before I can get AT&T's help on Monday. Great.
Reply to fell for it

Sep 08, 2011
Don't know what I was thinking in answering the phone in the first place...next thing I knew I was saying "yes" to switching to Long Distance America as a third party supplier for my long distance (said they represented Verizon). After the call, I googled the company and came across this page. So realizing I had probably been hoodwinked, I immediately called Verizon to report the problem and request that they block any third party billing. I was assured that since I have FIOS digital phone service, LD America will not be able to bill me for anything (FIOS does not allow third party carriers to change phone service. Whew!! Of course, I will be monitoring my next bill to be sure!
Reply to cathall

Read next Long Distance America complaint

LDA rips people off.

I am not proud of this but i worked at a call center that sold this ***.I needed a job because i nee...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Long Distance America.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug