• show-popup

Shares 0

Kirby Vacuum is a huge employment scam

Company Kirby
Location Oakland Gardens, New York
Category Appliances and Electronics
Views 3162

I was living in Dallas, TX and working as a bartender, making roughly 300 bucks a week.I decided to move to East Texas to go to school in Tyler.

I was in desperate need of a job and was browsing Craigslist one afternoon and I stumbled upon an ad saying "IMMEDIATE HIRING!!". I continued to read the ad that stated they were looking for "enthusiastic, outgoing personalities to join a team of customer service representatives". It also said that compensation would be $2,050 monthly, salary pay. Me, being an 18 year old, broke, newly-independent, young woman, I immediately called the number provided, disregarding the fact that I didn't even know what the company name was.

I called and was answered with "personnel". I commented on the job posting I saw on Craigslist and within the next minute I had been set up with an interview starting at 4. It was 2:30. Things seemed a bit fishy from that moment.

The manager gave me directions and I quickly got dressed and drove up to the office, which happened to be 45 minutes away from my apartment. The manager also mentioned that the sign for the business had "fallen down" and gave me a few landmarks to go by. Suddenly I was contemplated the fact that I might be driving to an abandoned warehouse to get raped by mysterious henchmen. Regardless, the $2,050 check flashing in my mind, I went ahead and trucked on, mace in purse.

I was surprised by the crappy half-garage, half-office I was witnessing, almost intrigued to turn around and go back home, but yet again the check flashed in my mind. I met the manager as soon as I walked in, he seemed more like a typical college kid than a manager, continually throwing out the word "bro" and the occasional curse word, fine by me, because I have the mouth of a sailor, but very unprofessional for a so-called manager. After filling out a short information sheet I went in the manager's office for the interview. After about ten minutes I was released and informed that he would call me that night regarding whether or not if I got the job.

The ten minute interview seemed short and strange. I was excited though, because the manager showed thorough interest in me...or maybe it was my ***. Anywho, I went home and that night around 6:30 I was called and informed that I had got the job and was given my training hours for the 5 days. 5 days of unpaid training I might add.

So my first day of training, was actually today...and I'm entitled to say, I believe this business is a scam. I pulled into the parking lot along with 12 other broke victims, a business who hires dozens of people at a time does not sound very legitimate to me. The business is selling Kirby vacuums. A 2000 dollar vacuum that is an excellent product, but way over-priced.

I was told that we would make the $2,050, only after we had 60 appointments, and who knows how long that would take...I have bills to pay. The 4 hour training session went well enough, filled with laughs and funny stories, but the whole system of door-to-door selling overpriced vacuums just didn't settle very well with me. I heard many stories as well about the fact that nobody was making money from this company, and though the manager continually went on about how he was making $5000 a month, he was still driving a 15 year old car. I'm sure if he was actually making $5000 a month, he'd probably be in a beamer.

I have to admit though, the persuasion used by the manager to lure in broke mortals like myself, was superb. Thankfully I came to my senses and realized that someone my age making $2050-$5000 was unrealistic.

Possible, but unlikely.I suggest that anyone interested in working for Kirby should keep looking for a REAL job. 3029344

Comments (123) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 123 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Apr 04  from Asheville, North Carolina
I tried holding out after I didn't get paid because I hate to quit, but after 6 weeks I had enough. We all piled up in the van and drove 2 hours out of state to sale and were out for about 10 hours when we hadn't even had a chance to eat. I made them stop at a cvs because I felt my blood sugar dropping and as I was walking down an isle, I passed out. I fell and hit my head on the cement floor. When I came out of the haze there were EMTs there. The emt flipped out on my lead man. They said they had to leave to get to there sales appointments and Id have to wait until they were done because we were 2 hours away from home. So they expected me to wait in the van while they tried to sale vacuums. The emt asked my lead man for the number to his boss or headquarters and he called to explain what happened. He told the supervisor that I had a potential lawsuit and he suggested that they find a way for me not to have to wait for all the sales calls. The supervisor called a rental car company and the leadman dropped me off there. They paid for it and bought a travel debit card for me to get food on the way home. Turned out that 3 other people in the van decided that they were a pathetic employer as well, so they got out of the van and rode back with me. We stopped to eat on the company's card. The boss met us at headquarters and apologized for the "misunderstanding." Like it is a misunderstanding that we were basically held against our will and not allowed to eat until we finished our... Show more
Reply to hate this place

Mar 14
People are saying these pro Kirby people can't spell.
#1 probably on an i phone like me and don't care when its wrong
#2 they people aren't good at math or spelling, that's why they sell vacuums. Cuz they good at selling 'cuums, not spell or númeróś :)
Reply to Jo

Feb 19
I have worked for Kirby for over 5 months. I am canvasser and I get paid very well. The job isn't fit for everyone but if you are willing to put in the work then you will be rewarded with a fat check. If you actually go in every day and do what you have to do then you will make money but if you go in and expect to be paid for not doing anything then you should get a job at McDonald's. Its a commission job. You work, you get paid. You don't work you don't get paid. Simple as that.
Reply to Judge Judy

Jan 27
Kirby is a total scam they never payed me most of all the boss didn't care he woundnt
Pay anyone I felt sorry for the people who worked there just to get money for there
Family's kids and friends and to be successfull but let me tell u Kirby isn't the place
To start Kirby is a very fishy,The boss walked right passed me I said hello
He didn't reply is was just like wow. Let tell u this place is very small they don't have
Respect,they will hire u in 4 seconds because there so hungry for coustumers
Reply to Austin

Jan 27
Wow this is scam my husband worked there and he never got payed.
What a waiste of gas I also reambered that when I was little Kirby came to our house
And asked if they can take a look at our carpets the next 5 hours later
They were begging us and lowering down the price just to buy a 5,000 vacum
What a ripoff we told them no so many times and the boss looked mad
Me and my brother were just like wow.
Reply to Tammy

Dec 26, 2013  from Revere, Massachusetts
Total scam...you can potentially work 50 hours a week an not make a dime.
They tell you nothing up front... they show u a bunch of $ 2-3000 dollar paycheck. An have people suspiciously pop into meetings an coincidently say how rich they are.
Ive worked there for three weeks an didnt bring home a penny.
Reply to total scam

Oct 29, 2013
Wow all I see are a bunch of *** quitters. It's not a scam it's sales ***. If your to much of a *** to speak to people with ur chest and have confidence then go along we don't want you. If you're hungry for money and you're willing to work for it, work for Kirby. If you want to do the same repetitive *** that you do at a normal job then why even look into sales!?
Obviously if Kirby was a scam they wouldn't be in business for 100 years and still running.
You want to good sales career? Come to Shy's office. Kirby people know what I mean.
Reply to Top dealer

Oct 29, 2013
I work in Kirby and the only reason people quit or call it a scam is people who are unfit or not hungry enough to put the work in. This person is to judge mental and obviously didn't even hit the field to find out what it was really like. I'm 19 and making around 1.5 a month in Kirby as a dealer and happy with it. If you don't put the work in or not even up to try it out your a born quitter and really have no say in Kirby's way of business. You go to the store and buy whatever you want then bring it home to try it out
The way kirby does business is we bring it to you let u try it out.. Then If u like it.. You can buy one.. Which makes more sense?
Reply to Drake

Aug 15, 2013
I just got a job for a "Kirby" like disributor. This place was pretty legit too, it was down a buisiness road with all different types of buisinesses. I went through one interveiw and then called "human resources" and was told I have the job. The advertisment for this one said Carpet shampoo worker. I asked the lady today if it had anything to do with sales. They then gave us an orientation on the product and explained to me that all we had to do was go to these places and shampoo the carpets and use the vacuum attachments that came with it if necessary. Yes we have to have a total of 60 demos but, I dont see any bad reviews on this or do I see anything about Carpet shampoo worker. You guys can e-mail me back at klathom102184@gmail.com. Tell me what you think....

Aug 15, 2013  from Oak Harbor, Washington
I work for Kirby and my boss has 8 cars, hes rich and has been in the buisness for 21 years, its who you work for and how they train you! Ive heard the horror stories some people are not trained they are left somewhere by themselves its terrible. I had 3 days of training and 2 interviews to get my chance and only one other person was hired with me. I trained with the top lead in the Untied States and I love my team and my boss. In This buisness you are your own boss in a way. You decide how far you want to go. So it sucks for other people who really are getting scammed, but it is not the company Kirby themselves,they make incredible vacuums, they spend millions in research to design and improve.its the only vacuum that can shampoo your carpets and actually clean them along with all the amazing attachments its worth the lifetime warranty and everything it has to offer! There was an office that opened up in my town ans quickly closed because they weren't doing what they where supposed to.They treated customers and employees terriblely ripping people off and lieing. And they got booted that's why my team and boss are still here. We treat people how we want to get treated and we take care of one another :) So as far as Kirby goes its different for everyone

Aug 12, 2013  from Long Beach, California
I worked there for 4 years.At first I thought it was a skam too, but I ended up sticking with it.For the first few months I would make 200$-500$ here and there but it takes time to be a good sale person.Complete knowledge is the key.You have to know the product inside and out.When saling products you ask questions instead of telling facts about the product it gets customers interigued it's a think and response reflex. After awhile I started making really good money there but unfourtently I was young and took the job for granted and ended up quitting.I would honestly live to go back to the company and work hard to become a factory distributer. The guy I worked for was named Patrick he was really good good at selling Kirby's he could close any sale.He had no Finacial issues what so ever had a Brandee corvette.It was a wonderful experience for me and thought me alot!
Reply to KMK

Aug 12, 2013  from Los Angeles, California

spell-check is your friend !!
Reply to imjustsaying

Aug 11, 2013  from Ogden, Utah
So you haven't worked for the company yet but you can say it's a scam within the first day of training...that makes sense.

Jul 31, 2013  from Birmingham, Alabama
Man I just went to a ORIENTATION yesterday and heard all the things I wanted to hear from Kirby( MRM Marketing ) :( ..smh it was ringing a bell something wasn't right.They are some *** scams,I wasted my gas money twice just for the interview process that was only 4 mins and got hired on 6 hours later. My brother and I both applied at the same day and time.I found out my friend of mine use to work for Kirby in 2011 they don't even pay you, u won't be back til 2 o clock in the morning, it's just all *** up, u would be better having a normal job than suffering for a company who won't even give u *** but 60 to 70 hours of work for nothing. I just thank god I did not call my job and told them I quit before I went in

Jul 31, 2013  from Birmingham, Alabama
This company is a total SCAM!!! They don't pay you even if you sell the *** thing!! You don't get home till around 2am sometimes.

DON'T BE FOOLED!!!
Reply to Scam

Jul 31, 2013  from Dallas, Texas
Look it's a *** good vacum but the distributors are aiming there
price way above the factory sales suggested retail value. The *** Craigslist
recruiters "they have" are the kings of false advertising. They
all smoke tobacco which Isn't a big deal but there just lowlifes I walked in there
thinking I could make 2400 a month because of there manipulation
and non sense. They are liars trying to suck you in go to there sales
ralley and see for your self the distributors use foul language one of them
mentioned his wife bieng naked and now that distracts his work ethic.

It's a good product but don't let the old folks get scammed on a 3 thousand dollar
vaccum.

Reply to Mark101

Jul 27, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen this company has good intention
but they are full of ***, I almost started with them until I wento a
sales ralley in which a major distributor was making practice presentations
and bieng extremely foul & arrogant about his 3600 a week check by scamming
old folks. He even mentioned the word "naked" twice while making comparisons
about the product in regards to how his wife can distract him from door to door sales
because he thinks about her naked. They all smoke cigarettes every single one of them.

For 3 grand I'd rather donate to Africa them buy a *** vacuum.
Reply to Texan 010

Jul 18, 2013
I really hope they run out of business. I cant believe i bought one. I signed the paper, they told me was cosigning for my sister. Instead was actually the buyer. Then the salesmen never informed me with the "notice of cancellation" he carefully folded and then wrote on it later when i didnt see. Never told me i had three days till it was too late.. Bad service, bad information, bad people. Thieves with tricks. I hope more and more people start to realize this scam. Please do not buy this over priced product. It sickens me to image them ruining anothers life.
Reply to cleveland

Jul 13, 2013  from Atlanta, Georgia
I saw the advertisement for this job on craigslist....no...correction... I saw the advertisement for 950 dollars paid biweekly on craigslist. Let's face it. I'm fresh out of high school. I need some extra money for college, so i jumped at the idea. Luckily, my experience wasn't a horrible as some of these others, but I did feel a little cheated. Information was revealed in bits and pieces. If I was given the full picture from the start, I probably would have walked straight out. But, I can say, this company is not a scam...as least where I work. Once the other people were weeded out as they heard the job requirements we went from about 13 people to 5. These are the successful ones. Two people already made sales and this is only our first day after training. That's 420 dollars for each of them plus 50 bucks for selling in their first day.Although the person that hired me left out some info, He did say one key thing: "You're gonna have to work HARD". Maybe that is what the problem is with some of you. You don't want to do the work, but you do want to get paid....just my opinion though :)
Reply to Brianna

Apr 04  from Asheville, North Carolina
Now that you should have been there for a while, please let us know if your co-worker did actually get paid his $450 + $50 for his sale. Also how about you post a picture of your checks with approx. hours worked + amount of sales + amount of expected pay vs. actual pay. I only ask because I worked for "Tri-Star" a similar company and my sister worked for Kirby. We both got screwed over and lied too multiple times.
Reply to Tabby

Read next Kirby complaint

If Kirby calls, say no thanks to free carpet...

A Kirby rep came to my house yesterday.They called before, I forgot about it.Then the Kirby office c...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Kirby.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug