• show-popup

Product / Service Jrp Talent School
Location Chicago, Illinois
Category Schools
Views 1024

The bottom line is that John Casablancas Modeling Agency misleads parents/Guardians and their children.
My experience:
Last summer my neice Victoria from Mississippi was visiting me and was in my care for 2 months of her summer break. She is 11 years old. As we were driving in the car one day, she happened to hear the radio advertisement that mentioned that John Casablancas were in search for the next Hannah Montana-type child star and were holding auditions in oakbrook Illinois which was only 35 mins from me. Victoria has always shown intrest in wanting to pursue this type of future so she took it upon herself to call the 800 number from her cell phone. She had no luck reaching anyone and never even left a message. However, Later on Victoria gets a call back from JC's saying they saw they missed her call and I saw her eyes light up with such excitement. She passed me her phone and they asked me to set up an audition time. I was skeptical therefore I asked if there would be any fees or anything I need to know about. They told me the dress code and the way they made it seem to us was that they were holding an audition to pick a child for an actual new image being created for television. This is how they mislead everyone. I went out and bought my neice a nice outfit according to their specifications. Victoria was so excited that she could not sleep and was just so anxious.
We go to audition appointment which went well, they called wanting her to do the second audition. They even told me over the phone that they liked her so much that she was the first child picked for the second audition! So, I go out and buy Victoria another outfit and shoes thinking that this is her little dream and I want to give her the best shot possible and may sure she looked perfect. BTW, I did get permission from Victorias mother to pursue this and her mother also spoke with the agency and confirmed the same information with me and understandings.
At the 2nd audition they take her in one room for her actual audition and they make me wait in someones office. After telling Victoria that she did great and that she has a ton of talent...they send her back to me with an office lady to the office in which I am sitting. Right in front of my neice which is estactic that she did a great job...they give me a folder telling me we need to sign her up for classes. These classes are around $2,000 and were like 3 months long. They knew she was only temporarily visiting me so why would they even have wasted my time to show up if this whole thing was about classes? They knew she wouldn't be around to take any classes. So, anyway...they said if I signed her up for classes today then Victoria could come back for another audition which would be in front of a talent scout flying in from California. However...this talent scout was coming in a matter of days so what would it matter if she signed up for classes or not because it would not affect her performance for that audition. I started seeing HUGE red flags at this point. They also told me that I would need to sign her up for classes that night in order to get her on that audition list. So I started asking questions... I said what I want to know is if these auditions are for a specific part/look being pursued as the advertisement on the radio made it seem or if these auditions are just to promote and fill your classes within your private school? Of course we all know that one does need training to become a famous actor or model, however, the difference is that John Casablanca is advertising a search for the next Hannah Montana-type actor or model...they are NOT advertising their school or their classes. This misleads children to begging their parents to take them in thinking they are just looking for that one lucky-duck kid with the right look. They advertise as if it is a contest to be won.
So I see all the arguing about if John Casablancas is a scam or not. Well all I can say is that I do not doubt that if I pay the $2,000 my neice would have went to some type of training classes however they need to advertise their school on the up & up as a school. They should not be allowed to consider these auditions when really they are preselecting the kids that they want to be in their school...which I believe is discrimination. If an ugly kid does not get a call back from their 1st audition, then that is JC's way of not offering classes based on what they have already seen of the child, right?
Anyhow...a stop needs to be put on all the misleading intentions John Casablancas is posing upon us and our children with misleading advertisements & misinformation to get our children into their office and to put us parents/guardians on the spot for something we are not expecting and putting the adult under pressure. Once it was clear what this all was really about, and I decided not to sign up for classes... I then had to contend with my beautiful neice which was in tears thinking that she was missing out on her one big chance for her dream. Very very sad & very very pissed. Please spare you child of this experience. 307fbd6

Comments (28) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 28 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Dec 10, 2013  from Dallas, Texas
I have an adult son who's been supporting himself as a performer for over 20 years, plus a 12-year-old who signed with a talent agent a year ago and is currently shooting a lead role in a new movie -- he's also in a mini-series airing this week on cable. To me, it seems that the problem is that there is often a gap between what parents aqnd kids think they're paying for, and what the companies actually sell.

Here's a link to an article on my blog that, I hope, explains how to tell the difference between a scam and a legitimate school or listing service. Hopefully, it will help some parents make a good decision for their child. http://debmcalister.com/2013/12/09/are-casting-hub-its-cousins-fooling-would-be-child-stars/
Reply to deb_mcalister

Nov 04, 2013  from Miami, Florida
omg of COURSE its a scam...on an interview they tell you that the entire school is designed to help kids with their SELF ESTEEM...they prey on people's hopes and dreams. They say most of these children don't even have the potential or talent to make it but they play on people's HOPES to become famous and make it big...they say this to people interviewing for SALES REPS at JC.. it's a terrible place...beware...
Reply to jcsucks

Oct 22, 2012
The Same *** my daughter & I experienced here in Denver on this past Saturday morning, but instead by another one of Goran Djenadic's companies called Casting Hub!!! TOTAL SCAM!!!!!
Reply to Kim

Dec 15, 2012  from New York, New York
My daughter auditioned for casting hub this morning and we are waiting for a call back. We have been looking up many different things finding out many different complaints and compliments. So i was wondering if you actually went into the agency and actually paid the money or did you just turn it down when you heard about the money?
Reply to Carly

Oct 18, 2012
I am sorry to hear of your experience at JC. I know that at first it sounds like a huge scam. Yes, it is just a school and yes, the commercials are terribly misleading, but as a student graduate there myself I opened up as a person and fell in love with the industry. No, JC doesnt not guarantee any success but they do help you through the process of helping you find an agency. The classes provided at JC help you improve your skills and understand what to do and not do in the industry. You have auditions once to twice a month. I grew up watching people grow into stars. For example, Keenan Cahill or Marirose Weldon went to JC. It's an amazing experience, I promise.
Reply to Nicole

Jul 28, 2013  from Penney Farms, Florida
you must work 4 there company your full of sh#t
Reply to bdogg

Aug 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post all of this info. You saved me and my daughter a lot of time, money and disappointment. If a company is reputable, they are honest about the product they represent. JC is not doing that.
Reply to miamommy

Mar 25, 2011
John Casablanca is not the only one pulling this type of scam. I'm a professionally trained actor and I have seen this soooooo many times. It really *** me off. I've taught acting before and worked at a talent agent. The best way for a child to enter on-camera acting that is paid is to go to a college that teaches filmmaking and check out their audition boards. You can probably land an unpaid role after a few tries and learn on the job. If you like it, THEN invest in on-camera acting lessons. The filmmakers you get to know can usually suggest some qualified acting studios in your area that won't charge anywhere near as much as a place such as Casablanca's. Casablanca's may have some good teachers, but there are many good acting teachers, but with that slimy approach, I'd stay away if it was me. In fact, I found this page because I was checking them out because of a help wanted ad they were running for acting instructors and I wanted to know how legit they were, so thanks for the warning, I think I'll pass.
Reply to Debbi in Chicago

Nov 04, 2010
if you pay the money one step at a time and miss some payments they will not give you a chance,and if you miss a amount of days they will make you pay for the whole thing with out having to make up all your classes,and think about it who have you ever seen that got famous over john casablancas they would have been on tv
Reply to a person who was also mislead

Sep 21, 2010  from Omsk, Omsk
Chicago Testimonials
Being from Los Angeles, we see tons of talent and showcases with children , young actors and (some older ones thrown in there too for good measure), all the time. After seeing Carmela's John Casablanca's well-trained talent in Chicago, I wonder where this dynamo has been all these years!-----literally, training the talent! They were a breath of fresh air for us, especially knowing that someone cares enough to do their very best! Those of us industry professionals REALLY do appreciate all the hard work that it takes to groom a new talent into a viable sellable commodity for the various facets of Sho-Business. Looking forward to seeing more of these young people here and on the screen! Thank you again, Jean and Kathy, Page Management, Los Angeles/SanFrancisco, Calif.
Awesome! That is the word to describe JC-Chicago. We are continually amazed with the professionalism of all of the JC actors. We have seen the JC actors at scouting weekends in Chicago, always totally prepared, always totally professional. We are impressed with their training. We have already discovered one young actor, Jonah Crosby. Jonah booked his first Los Angeles audition as an M.P. Management client, after CeCe Cline and Cassiopeia Productions auditioned him. This truly goes to show how tremendous the training is at JC. Carmela, Director of Education at JC, truly cares about her actors. One great school. One great director.
I can honestly say that every actor I met
Reply to THE REAL TRUTH.What Clients ar

Aug 11, 2009
u never went through with it so you wouldn't know if it's a scam or not.don't talk trash if you have no proof or idea what you're actually talking about.your little angel niece probably needs plenty of classes and training.I'm sure she's not AMAZING right off the bat.and of course they want money.duhh.of course you have to pay for workshops.you're quite foolish and full of it.don't bash a perfectly good and legitimate company because you're just cheap and didn't want to shell out the cash it takes to perfect your niece.they've given me so many opportunities and hooked me up in so many ways,and very soon everyone will no my name.
Reply to Julie

Apr 23, 2009
I am a modle for JC. THe money that we have to pay is to pay there teachers who tea ch us for 6 months it is a very good deal compared to other people. JC actulley stays with you and helps you through it. This is a cery touch buisness and this modling agency is VERY big. After you pay the 2,oo dollers you don't have to pay anything again. It may of seemed like a rip off and a scam and i know that when yuo hear you have to pay money that it is a scam. But JC actully gives you classes. Its worth it and im happy im in it. But tell your neice that she should still follow her dreams.
Reply to Jana

Mar 18, 2009
You can tell after reading all the complaints that John Casablancas is obviously misleading people. The comments from those saying it is not a scam are obviously employees of JC's...because obviously you are not going to be on here defending John Casablancas if you are a customer with no complaints...because if you were then there would be no need for you to be on this site. So people, ignore all the comments defending John Casablacas modeling agency...they are obviously affiliated with JC's. John Casablancas modeling agency does mislead consumers, save yourself from a bad experience. I too had the same experience as Brenda, April, Michael and Johnny. Thankfully I was smart enough to identify this and walk away before I had money invested.
Reply to Maryann

Michael & Johnny,
Thanks sharing your stories...hopefully this will help other parents/guardians that read these make an educated decision for thier children!
Reply to April

Mar 18, 2009
This bonehead Chris is obviously an employee of JC and is reading from his script
The reason you never hear clients from JC complain is because they are embarrassed as most people who are taken by scams…

“ licensed by the Illinois State Board of Education, which means that the curriculums are licenses, the coaches are licensed. “ Man, pass that joint around, it must be real good smoke because it sure made you ***….Licensed by the state of Illinois! FOOL

John Casablanca may have created the company years and years ago, but when it was sold to whomever runs it now it was not a so called school…Also John Casablanca was charged with ( sexual ) quite a few minor related things…is he even alive or died from Aids?

Also, open casting calls is how people get the additions or a good agent who would not charge someone who they truly think has talent….Bonehead…Let say you fly out to California and add you airfare and shut the #%# up dumb ***…

Like I said in my previous, JC is good at one thing, which is ACTING and LYING using little kids hopes and dreams to try and have Mom and Dad’s dish out hard earned money to a bunch of BOZO’s…

The only real crime is the Parents who are not bright enough to realize they are about to take it up the REAR and dish out the cash !!!!
Reply to JohnyChiTown

Mar 18, 2009
My Name is Johny and I agree with April.
As a matter of fact, I just want though the JC claim to next Hanna Montana Sunday, March 15 and Monday, March 16, 2008.

When we called the number advertised, they made it sound as though it was an open addition, same ***, wear something nice, bring 4 pictures in getting my daughters hopes up really high.
Anyway, we show up in Oakbrook Terrace (Myers Road) and walk in and sign in. In the meantime about another one hundred people show up with their little girls and boys, etc.

Anyway, they take you to a back room and have some wanna be model come in and rudely start the conversation with turn off your phone and remove your crying or uncontrollable children.
They start telling you how JC is a modeling agent and they have a big wig Casting Director coming in on March 28 to start looking at Children for roles.

So they work up your kids dreams and ambitions while playing with the parents minds, well , are you serious about your kid being serious , blah, blah blah.
So they put them in front of a camera and have them read a ‘ Life Saver ‘commercial and then bring you in to another room, were you meet another wanna be model who once again runs through her script on JC.

They tell you they have to go through all these people and they will narrow the search down to 4 kids and from the 4 pick two.
Anyway, my little girl is a nervous wreck, oh, did I
Reply to JohnyChiTown

Feb 26, 2009
It seems as though my point is getting missed. My point is that JC's radio advertisement last summer was misleading. They advertise it as a contest to be won looking for the next Hannah Montana type actor. When really it is a tactic used to get people to show up, get your childrens hopes high and then rope everyone into signing up for their classes! Why don't they advertise as an acting school? Why don'y they just advertise their classes? I can tell you why...it's because they know they will not get the turn out, the people coming in if they advertised themselves as a school. They want to pump the kids excitement by making them think it is a contest so that they can hound their parents for the chance to go and audition for this position that doen't really even exist yet.
To the person that mentioned that Mc Donalds advertisements are misleading... not really. They are advertising the food that you will get if you go there. You can also go on their website and get food facts. Jc's is not advertising what you will be served when you go there. You can not go to their website and get their facts. Nice try.
Also your reference to an obese person in a trailer in Mississippi. For one, I am not from Mississippi. I live in Aurora, Il. My 11 year old neice was born here and now resides in Mississippi and is in no way obese. No one in my family lives in a trailer and if they did I would not be so shallow to care. I can say that if you do see trailers in
Reply to April

Feb 25, 2009
my duaghter booked a couple of commercials because of JC. thank you. there is good stuff about them and bad. you have to decide for yourself what route to take.
Reply to Guadalupe

Jul 28, 2013  from Penney Farms, Florida
pay pay pay another worker for this company or why would they be on this page :eek
Reply to bdogg

Feb 25, 2009
Thanks Susan. The center has a 98% satisfaction with its clients, which is extremely high for any company no matter what industry there are in.

I cannot believe someone dares to actually place a negative comment about a company without trying their product or service. It doesn't make any sense.

It's like you decided not to purchase a book based on their cover.
Reply to Chris

Read next John Casablanca Modeling complaint

took over 2 thousand dollars with no signed...

I am pissed!John Casablanca's agency contacted my daughter to audition for Sears catalog.Once we...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about John Casablanca Modeling.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug