• show-popup

Location Houston, Texas
Category Accounting
Views 509
Monetary Loss

I hate HR Block.In 2007, I used them for my tax last yr and everything was fine, except for all the hidden fees they charge.

I got my tax refund on the emerald card, and then got rid of it, thinking I was done with it. Then the government decided to give a stimulus package. Then, the Tax administration office decided it would be best to give out the fund the same way they sent out the 07 tax return.

Upon the urgent news, I called H R Block to get another card sent to.Needless to say, I have made 5 attempts, not exaggerating, to get my new emerald card, but to no avail have I received my money. 308bf85

Comments (20) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Nov 08, 2012
Just need to know if i can pull 1000 off the card at 1x :zzz
Reply to kourtneyd

Aug 23, 2012
Make sure you check the fees on this card!
Reply to Tonto

Feb 25, 2012
So i opened a bank account and wanted to get rid of all my prepaid cards so i tried to transfer the $255.30 i had left on my emerald card. Well needless to say it took 5 days so i canceled the transfer as important a single mom and needed the money now... (waiting for next Friday payday) so i wake up to an email saying insufficient funds. Im out $34.05 (random amount if you ask me) for no reason at all. All it says in my history is demand purchase or something like that. Im afraid to call as I've heard they charge a fee for calling! I'll probably go get the $80 i have left out so there's $0 in there for them to take and ask them whatever i want! This card was ok for me though. Walgreens or cvs pharmacy is a good place. I got 1800 out in a day. 2.50 fee each time bit now i have a ride and i don't have to walk everywhere.
Reply to ash

Feb 21, 2012
I AM TRYING TO CHECK MY EMERALD CARD ROUTING # AND ACCOUNT # IS CORRECT I WOLD LIKE TO HAVE MY TAX REFUND DEPOSIT ON IT. HOW CAN I GO ABOUT MAKE SURE THAT THIS IS THE CORRECT ROUTING #101089742, AND ACCOUNT #1422978642
Reply to zelda wright

Jan 31, 2012
can I use my emerald card to get $1,000.00 cash out of thr ATM?
Reply to robin meek

Sep 01, 2011
I have had my card for the past 6-7 years I have never had any problems with. The onle fees I have experienced is when using the ATM. I do not get charged for calling customer service or to check my balance online. And I get my tax return faster than waiting in the mail.
Reply to Carol

Mar 17, 2011
My wife and I have been using the Emerald card for a few years now. We have our paychecks deposited on it and use it as our main card for everything and never had a problem till this year 2011. In Dec. of 2010 we got the advance loan for Christmas for $1000 for my wife and $900 for me since we have seperate cards(mine is connected to a savings account). This initial loan was to be paid by Feb. 16th of 2011. Our tax return was loaded onto our card around Jan.25-26 minus the loan amounts. All fine and good right? Wrong! On around Feb. 5th while checking the balance on our cards the option to transfer $1000 dollars to my wifes card and $900 to mine was available through an advance. I talked with my wife and we decided to take the option, like we did in 2010, and pay it down through the year to enhance our credit rating on the card. Now comes Feb. 16th 2011, less tha two weeks, after the advance and H&R took the amount of the loan off our cards along with fees. Since my card had less than the advance amount we were now at $0 on my card and $1000 less on my wifes causing fee's at places I used my card to pay bills(Insuficient Funds). So I contacted the corporate office and they stated that the second advance fell under the same deadline as the Dec.2010 advance! So that meens if i moved the money over on the day before Feb. 16 i would have had to pay it back the next day!!!!! CRAZY! Needless to say we are miffed but Corporate said they chalk it up to a learning experience for next... Show more
Reply to Dion

Mar 13, 2011
I have had the same emerald card for 3 years and love it. I have my money deposited on there, and transfer most of the money to my own account. I do however leave enough money on the account to pay my online bills so that no one has access to my checking account I normally use. I have always had good luck when contacting them to get the checking and routing number they give you to use for online payments that don't accept credit / debit cards. It's even an automated answer they can give you so you don't wait on hold. The only fees I've experienced are the ones when I withdrawal money from the local atms. I would recommend it to anyone who is leary of putting your checking account number or debit / credit cards out online, and who wants their tax money fast!
Reply to Happy Customer

Feb 11, 2011
I use the card all the time, love it. If Im not mistaken everytime you go in and have taxed done they hand you paper work on how the card works and what THEY CHARGE. This seems to be the problem with people, you want thinks now but dont read what your getting. That is why there called legal notice to customers... READ before you act *** online. YOU also sign it. dumby
Reply to Ron

Feb 09, 2011
The Emerald Card is a RIP-OFF. My buddy got his H&R Block Tax Refund on an Emerald card. It has many, many hidden fees. He gets e-mail updates from his account whenever a transaction takes place. He did a $50 purchase with the card and the e-mail said his Emerald Card had been charged over $60. He called in for an explanation and was charged another $1.50. Still no explanation.
Reply to Huggie

Sep 13, 2010
H R Block offers a PEACE OF MIND program for all of its clients, so that cases like these here can be easily solved. People rarely understand that as a tax professional we can only enter what the client tells us or gives us in the matter of a tax return.Most people did have some type of misconsceptions of how the emerald card worked. I have suggested to all of my clients that they do indeed come in before hand an get the information on the emerald card and sit down and talk to a tax preparer before they opt to getting the card, because again it isn't what every client needs.
Reply to taxspecialist

Aug 19, 2010
H&R made an error on my taxes and would not take responsibility for it. I couldn't get any help with it when I called them and got rude people not wanting to deal with me. I was on my own to fix the problem. The preparer did not deduct my advance income payments when she prepared my return and I had to make arrangements to pay it back with a fine and interest...
Reply to r clark

Jan 03, 2010
Ok first the Emerals Card is a prepaid MasterCard so there is no checking account attached to it. Second, there is an account number attached to it because many of our client's use it for DD if they do not have a regular checking account. It is 17 digits long and it also has a routing number attached that is 9 digits. If you need to know what they are just call 1-888-687-4722 and option Emerald Card and we will be glad to assist you in getting that info. thanks
Reply to NP

Dec 07, 2009
Same bloody thing happned to my family. The worst part was h and r block never contacted me after we got the stimulus for '08 or the first time home buyers credit after we filed an ammended 1040. This year, I'm using TurboTax. I'll take the wait instead of getting a super fast card with tons of fees that I can't even use to pay my mortgage on, because H&R Block doesn't have a checking account number to give me to do echecks. If you're singal and rent and have no kids, it's great. If you're married, own a home and have kids, do your taxes yourself. It'll go easier. IRS even has a nice direct deposit to make your life a little easier.
Reply to Dorian

Jul 04, 2009
:( After reciving an Emeald Advance (*** me anyways) I paid off the card withmy return and requested the account be closed. Not only did the tax preparer not close the account when I left he gave me someone elses paper work with all their personal info on it including SSN #s. I have called customer service 4 times now to get the account terminated but I am still recieving bills for monthly service. Which will go on my credit report if I don't pay. It's extortion!
Reply to jd

Mar 31, 2009
If you need new card call 1-866-353-1266. After the first card you were issued expires a check with the remaining balance should be sent to you. the max you can withdraw in a day from the card is $3000. I advise clients to withdraw the max you can each time to avoid the fees.
Reply to Shaun

Read next HR Block complaint

HR Block is always incompetant

I am amazed at the confusion and problems they have filling a simple tax return.They are unprofessio...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about HR Block.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug