• show-popup

Location Placerville, California
Category Tax services
Views 4593
Monetary Loss

I recieved a letter with a plastic card included with information about the H&R Block Emerald Advance. Which, yes on approved credit, based on what your antisapated tax return will be, will loan you up to $1000.
I brought all the information and papers needed to my H&R Block agent. I was told to antisapate a return of $8,470.00. How ever my loan was denied within 2 seconds of my agent pressing the send button.
My agent said (I quote) "I'm sorry your loan wasn't approved. It's sad 80% of the loans aren't. I've only had one approved that I have done. People get their hopes up and well...you should get your w-2's soon."
80%!!!!
Why even bother to waste the paper and plastic cards with loans % like that!!!
2e2bc0a

Comments (64) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 64 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Dec 27, 2013  from Greensboro, North Carolina
I went also to the so called Emerald BS and got similar results. I think there should be some kind of Class Action law suit brought against them for false advertisement. I am thinking the same thing. They are just marketing for customers.
Reply to PO-ed Veteran

Dec 06, 2013  from Belleville, Illinois
The program is a joke they do it so they can get you to make appointment to do taxes there.you can do your own on tax act.com for 10 so why go there pay 250
Reply to not happy customer

Dec 01, 2013  from Sandusky, Ohio
I got denied. A first.after 5 years of getting 900 $. The reason was insuffecient cash flow to cover monthly bills. Funny though considering I'm getting an estimated 8, 000 grand back and I have been employed for years! :(
Reply to marley

Dec 27, 2013  from Greensboro, North Carolina
got the same results! wow. lets sue.
Reply to PO-ed Vet

Jan 01
Its because it's based strictly on credit now...not refund amount. Look it up!

Jan 23, 2013  from Los Angeles, California
I don't understand why people get so ticked off. This is a loan from A BANK!!!! If you walked into your own bank and tried to get a loan with bad credit, would you still feel the same way?????Stop blaming H&R Block for your bad credit. and PS they have checked credit for YEARS! They are just putting more stock into it. My husband was pre approved this year and we have HORRIBLE credit. All we had to do was go in sign a couple of papers. They didn't even check and see if we were getting any money back. As for 80% of people not getting it where do you live ?????? Cause I know tons of people that got the LOAN this year. It just completely cracks me up that people blame a BANK for not getting a loan. :grin

May 31, 2013  from Saint Petersburg, Florida
Actually you are wrong. This is not a traditional loan that is subject to credit approval like loans from other banks. Your tax return can be used to pay this back. I use it every year for Christmas and I have not once been denied AND my credit is shakey at best. Just sayin'....you are wrong.
Reply to Jimmy

Jan 01
Actually your the one who is wrong. The GOVERNMENT stopped refund anticipation loans a couple years ago! It's called Emerald Advance Line of Credit now.
Reply to Brad

Dec 27, 2013  from Greensboro, North Carolina
what about us that have A1 credit and get denied? HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 17, 2012  from Lafayette, Louisiana
How much u have to make to get the loan ??????
Reply to T

Dec 14, 2012
I have always been approved for the Emerald Advance. However, if your student loans are delinquent and show up on your credit report that loan may not be approved. That's the reason mine was not. It makes sense though if the government is going to take the student loan. How does H&R Block know they will get their money back. Listen sometimes in life there is another door the blessing needs to come through. Just be encouraged and trust The MOST High who is also known as Jehova Jireh.
Reply to Soneta

Jan 23, 2013  from Phoenix, Arizona
You claim your always approved and then you say you were denied!!! Which is it? Looks like your student loans are a waste of money and time!!
Reply to Joysie

Dec 14, 2012
I also have been getting my taxes done there every year since I was 16. (I am now 32) I also have gotten the Emerald Advance every year, but now-- denied. Even with perfect credit history from them. I agree with most everyone else on here.. I will no longer use HR Block, their overly expensive on preparation fees-- the only perks was the enerald advance and rapid refund... now they don't do either of those anymore. Looks like I'll only pay 50 bucks this year instead of over 200-- Thanks HR block, you saved me money by me not using your services.
Reply to Kerri Williams

Dec 12, 2012
Same happen to me I have been a customer of there for 14 years I got the loan for 4 years straight last year I was denied they said they are doing credit checks now ...well they lost me as a customer I left them thanks for nothing
:( thinking I was gonna get it I planned for nothing I had to run around borrowing money left in tears
Reply to mickalal

Dec 12, 2012
Reply to mickalal

Nov 28, 2012
Its amazing how ive done my taxes for yrs wit h n r block n have goy theemerald advanced every yr for 4 yrs n i waa denied! Seriously wtf is that! Ill do my taxes somewhere else this yr!
Reply to pissd off

Nov 27, 2012
its *** been doing it for a couple of years now always got it today i was denied why?? its coming right off the top of my taxes they take it out right up front this is bull probably wont be using hand r block any more and have been since 1993
Reply to dawn

Nov 22, 2012
I don't count on the loan, but since I have gotten it every year just for a little extra at christmas....I got denied!! Total *** if you ask me. My refund is HUGE because I am a full time paying college student. The point is I can't believe they are denying for a tax anticipation....If I wanted to be credit approved I would go to the bank. REALLY H&R you are loosing so much business you need to wake up!!!
Reply to Upset customer

Nov 22, 2012
:( :(

Like a lot of ppl I have been an HR Block Client for years and always got the Emerald Loan with no problem. This year, I go in on Monday, the gentleman that did my application was nice enough, however not experienced enough. I caught him making mistakes and pointed them out, however there was one mistake I didn't see. My birthday was put in as 2012! I was denied of course because according to that I am a baby..lol. So they said they would reset it, called me at 4pm same day said it was reset but computer hadn't updated yet. Ok, I am frustrated but as long as it gets fixed by Wed I'm good. Tuesday, still not going through, Wed, still not going through. I go to another office, they try and see that it was corrected and put back through on Tuesday but was denied. Ok I have NEVER been denied the loan,so that was a shock. However, I am VERY upset because had someone told me this happened Tuesday I could have tried other loan arrangements. Now it is too late for my Thanksgiving! I didn't want to have 2 loan apps going at the same time, now I am screwed. What about us loyal HR Block customers that have gotten this loan every year and paid it back faithfully every year????? My loan and payment history plus my estimated refund should be enough to show I am worthy enough!!! HR Block just lost our business for good!!!! The manager of
... Show more
Reply to Completely Appalled!!

Nov 19, 2012
I will not be using h&r block for this years taxes. I have been a customer with them for 17 years and have now just been denied the advance. Was told pretty much my income is not enough to cover my bills every year. But they dont look at if you have someone else living in your household that also earns income. I feel very singled out right now and will be doing my taxes else where! Sorry I am not rich and married!
Reply to irritated

Read next HR Block complaint

false promises

I've been going to H&R Block for the last 11 years.However this year and last year have been by...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about HR Block.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug