• show-popup

Product / Service Company Operations
Location Greensboro, North Carolina
Category Appliances and Electronics
Views 1484

The most unethical retail operation I have ever seen.
1) They change the list price on all the items according to what b.s. promotion they are running. Example a samsung washer was on sale for 699.00
at a 20% off sale, the next promotion was 10% off but the sale price was the same.List price was changed.
2) Extended warranties.. The warranty price is suppose to be determined by the selling price of the item.hh gregg charges the price against the list price, even though the warranty will only replace the item based in the price paid. Example 2000.00 refridgerator warrant is 249.00 I sell the fridge for 1500.00 the warranty should be 169.00 but not at hh gregg they charge the 249.00.
3)Here it is a few days befor black friday and hh gregg has decided to raise the threshold to get a rebate on the 70.00 delivery charge from $497.00 to different prices for different appliances. The new minimum is 600.00 on ranges and dishwashers and 1000.00 for refridgerators. They did this now knowing they will be able to slip it by when customers are in a more frantic state.
I can add so many more things about service, pricing, financing and the unethical treatment of employees but I hope you get the message.
Be careful when shopping at hh gregg 2df56ce

Comments (45) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 45 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Jan 02
Don’t Buy From HH Gregg

I purchased a new LG Washer from HH Gregg for $860. I also added the $200 5-year Premium Service Plan. All was well for 18 months and then the washer began making a horrible noise. We contacted HH Gregg and their warranty company Warrantech who sent out a repairman. The repairman determined the washer could not be fixed and that perhaps it was a manufacturer’s problem. Well, after 5 months now and repeated calls to H.H. Gregg, Warrantech, and LG, I still do not have a repaired or replaced washer, nor do I have any $ in return.

H.H. Gregg has done NOTHING to get this matter resolved. Up to this point I have purchased $$$$ from HH Gregg trying to support an Indiana company. Never again!

My advice to you is to not buy from H.H. Gregg and NEVER purchase their enhanced warranty. IT IS A RIP OFF.

Please feel free to share. Other need to know what this company is all about!

Nov 19, 2013
I HAVE WORKED AT HHGREGG IN NORTH CAROLINA FOR OVER A YEAR, HERE ARE THE TRUE PROS AND CONS FROM MY STORE. PROS: 1. THE EMPOLYEES HAVE FUN. THATS ALL! CONS: 1. THE MANAGERS ARE LAZY 2. THE MANAGERS HAVE DOUBLE STANDARDS REGARDING WHAT THEY DO AND WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO. 3. THE MANAGERS ARE CONDESCENDING INCONSISTENT KNOT-ZEES WHO RELISH IN MICRO MANAGING BECAUSE OF THEYRE POWER TRIP. 4. THE MANAGERS DO NOTHING DURING OUR "TRAINGING" THAT HAPPENS EVERYDAY AN HOUR BEFORE THE STORE OPENS. 5. MY STORE MANAGER DOESN'T KNOW THAT I HEARD THE WISPER OF "F*[K|NG |D|OT" ADRESSED AT ME FOR NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THE JOB OF A CASHER. 6. THE MANAGERS COMPLETELY BERATE YOU IN FRONT OF FELLOW EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMERS IF YOU DONT KNOW THE ANSWER FOR SOMTHING THAT YOU WERE NEVER TRAINED ON OR EXPOSED TOO. 6. THE COMPANY STEELS MONEY FROM THE EMPLOYEES BY DOCKING COMMISSION IF A CUSTOMER USES THE HHGREGG CARD (5% discount comes out or your pay), CHANGES THE "LANDED COST" WHENEVER THEY WANT TO WITHOUT LETTING THE SALES TEAM KNOW, WHICH LEADS TO LOWER COMMISSION. 7. CONSTANTLY MAKES US CHANGE PRICE TAGS WHEN THE PRICE HASNT CHANGED. 8. RAISED "STAFFING" 40% OVER LAST YEAR WHILE TRAFFIC AND SALES ARE DOWN THUS, AGAIN, LOWER PAY CHECKS. IN SUMMING IT UP, ONLY WORK HERE IF ITS YOUR ONLY CHANCE AT A JOB. NEW HIRES ARE TOLD TO EXPECT $800 TO $1,000 PER WEEK WHICH IS RARELY REACHED BY THE TOP PERFORMERS. THE COMPANY HAS NO CONCERN FOR THE SALES PEOPLE, MY REGONAL MANAGER STATED THAT "IF THE SALES PEOPLE... Show more
Reply to SOMEWHERE IN NORTH CAROLINA RE

Nov 19, 2013
I HAVE WORKED AT HHGREGG IN NORTH CAROLINA FOR OVER A YEAR, HERE ARE THE TRUE PROS AND CONS FROM MY STORE. PROS: 1. THE EMPOLYEES HAVE FUN. THATS ALL! CONS: 1. THE MANAGERS ARE LAZY 2. THE MANAGERS HAVE DOUBLE STANDARDS REGARDING WHAT THEY DO AND WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO. 3. THE MANAGERS ARE CONDESCENDING INCONSISTENT *** WHO RELISH IN MICRO MANAGING BECAUSE OF THEYRE POWER TRIP. 4. THE MANAGERS DO NOTHING DURING OUR "TRAINGING" THAT HAPPENS EVERYDAY AN HOUR BEFORE THE STORE OPENS. 5. MY STORE MANAGER DOESN'T KNOW THAT I HEARD THE WISPER OF "****NG ***" ADRESSED AT ME FOR NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THE JOB OF A CASHER. 6. THE MANAGERS COMPLETELY BERATE YOU IN FRONT OF FELLOW EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMERS IF YOU DONT KNOW THE ANSWER FOR SOMTHING THAT YOU WERE NEVER TRAINED ON OR EXPOSED TOO. 6. THE COMPANY STEELS MONEY FROM THE EMPLOYEES BY DOCKING COMMISSION IF A CUSTOMER USES THE HHGREGG CARD (5% discount comes out or your pay), CHANGES THE "LANDED COST" WHENEVER THEY WANT TO WITHOUT LETTING THE SALES TEAM KNOW WHICH LEADS TO LOWER COMMISSION. 7. CONSTANTLY MAKES US CHANGE PRICE TAGS WHEN THE PRICE HASNT CHANGED. 8. RAISED "STAFFING" 40% OVER LAST YEAR WHILE TRAFFIC AND SALES ARE DOWN THUS, AGAIN, LOWER PAY CHECKS. ***SUMMING IT UP, ONLY WORK HERE IF ITS YOUR ONLY CHANCE AT A JOB. NEW HIRES ARE TOLD TO EXPECT $800 TO $1,000 PER WEEK WHICH IS RARELY REACHED BY THE TOP PERFORMERS. THE COMPANY HAS NO CONCERN FOR THE SALES PEOPLE, MY REGONAL MANAGER STATED THAT "IF THE SALES PEOPLE... Show more
Reply to SOMEWHERE IN NORTH CAROLINA

Nov 12, 2013
My wife and I decided we needed a new TV. We went to HH Gregg because they claim to have 30 day price matching. We thought "great", we won't have to stand in line and they will have stock if we go on veterans day. We walked in, told the first sales person let us look around for a while then we would come find them. Within 30 seconds 3 more sales people were circling us like wolfs, we felt very uncomfortable. We found the TV we wanted, it was LG led 47" 3d Google smart unit with a price of 949.99. At the checkout they wanted to sell us the extended warrenty, I was very hesatant until they offerd the 5 year at the 3 year price. We get our TV and a new dyson vacume and a few other items and leave. I get home to register the warranty and the intire receipt was blank except for out name and the total cost at the bottom. We called them because we needed a breakdown to register the TV with the 3rd party insurer. They explained that I had to come back down if I wanted a detailed recipt. I get there and the manager " William Handschumaker" told me it would be a few minutes, 30 minutes later he brings me a black and white printout with the line items and pricing. The printout showed a cost for the TV of 795.00. I asked William why the price was 795.00 yet I thought we had paid 949.00. This is where it gets very shady, borderline fraud. He explain to me that they had to get the money from somewhere to cover the difference for the warranty . I explained to him that the sales person "... Show more
Reply to AJ from the AK

Jan 04  from San Jose, California
Well if I was you I would read the reviews on the warranties. They don't honor them at all but they are refundable. So if I was you I would return the warranty because you can get all that cash back and it won't do you any good to keep it.
Reply to They ripped me off

Oct 23, 2013
I made $1400s for 3 paychecks in a row. An employee on minimum wage leaves. Who can afford to pay for a kid or even themselves on minimum wage? That's crazy. I'm about to loose my car, my phone, and my electricity is about to be shut off. Without loosing any sales, my pay went to minimum wage. I quickly go over my commission sales report to find I was being paid a quarter of what I had been paid before. HHgregg lured me in with good pay and then took it all back.
Reply to jones

Oct 07, 2013
I can without hesitation say that HH Gregg is the WORST employer in America. I've been in sales for over 40 years, and never have I seen employees been taken advantage of like this. You report to work hours before your shift (we were told not to punch in the time clock) for "meetings" which turn out to be cleaning, stocking, warehouse work and manual labor. All this without a DIME of compensation since you are a full commission salesperson. You even have to BUY your own uniforms and business cards! Positively the worst job, and that's coming from someone who had a real job since the age of 12. The people I cut grass and ran errands for as a kid treated me better than this company. You could work all week and then owe THEM money! And unless your swindle people into enhanced warranty coverage, you will starve. You don't make anything on a TV, oven or fridge, only the "cheeze" as they refer to it. Oh, you can't sit down, I meant cannot sit down during your shift,even when no customers are in the store. Oh, your healthcare is $500.00 per month for a "family plan" at best. I'll stop here. Get a minimum wage hourly job, you are better off.
Reply to lessonlearned

Sep 20, 2013
This is pissed customer, not disgruntled employee; maybe you employees should post your rants on glassdoor.com. All stores play the price games, so you aren't turning off a customer by crying about having to come in 3 hours early for no pay. FYI, where I live a company cannot require you to attend training, meetings, work, etc(with the exception of salaried employees) without pay. You disgruntled employees have not turned me off to getting a 60" LED tv for $650. See you Saturday HHGregg! :grin

Aug 21, 2013  from Chicago, Illinois
ok i work at a low level at hhgregg at one of the store they have in chicago. I can really say you dont understand retail but it seems to speak for it self. I understand you may have quit or got fired based on money issues or management or for what ever reason but you should not post stuff that is simply untrue or out of the hands of any company. too many dumb people who use the internet might think ever 1% of what you said is right or true in any way which it is not. Now i dont like working for hhgregg but that is only because of how little money there is in the area at which they sell in. this is not hhgreggs fault but the global economic status. So let me start this *** ripping at number 1.

1)what company doesnt change prices lol. the hhgregg way is to always have the lowest price and the best customer service. So if you sell a 699. washer at 20 % off (off the srp = suggested retail price) then next week you sell it at 10% (off the srp which all companys such as best buy, frys, apts , the little guys do for sales)and it comes off the same price is because the landed coast changes week to week unlike bestbuy who is month to month. this may seem like a bad thing but trust me it is really not. its not to *** people over its in place so when companys drop the price of the products we can drop out prices that week and not change them at the end of the month(more work for the salesmen because they change tags EVERY day). so really we are giving the product out
Reply to HHgregg-employee0283

Jan 04  from San Jose, California
I don't work for hhgregg, but I can see why you are a low level employee. You need to clear your head of thinking your smarter than people because you can babble the longest, it not going to get you anywhere in life. When you try to cut a guy down by saying " we don't sell warranties we sell protection plans" and then say "they are the number one warranty company in the world". Come on man your just a clown.
Reply to Really

Mar 25  from Richmond, Virginia
Everything he posted was true about a lot of stores. Just cause you didn't have the experience he did doesn't mean you can try to belittle him and tell him he's wrong. And for those that don't like what he has to say on here... Dont read it. It's obvious he's not trying to please you. Hhgregg screws over a lot of people. Their management needs to be monitored in a lot of stores. Corporate simply doesn't care. Terrible company.

Apr 12, 2013  from Niles, Illinois
You did not mention all the free hours of labor they take!!!! Come in 3 hours early, don't punch in because it will through you into draw. Why 3 hours early?? For a supposed sales meeting that lasts 20 minutes as your told how many of the metrics you are failing to achieve. Then guess what, clean and organize the store, for free!!! I am a commission only salesman who makes no money arriving 3 hours early, or staying 3 hours late. After putting in 10 to 15 hours a week, at no pay, I had it and left. Terrible business model for any employee, great for HHGregg. Out and Out theft of my time. Can't imagine how or why anyone stays there. Those claiming big CONSISTENT incomes are hard for me to believe. I worked hard and left with no draw, and still made peanuts because of the crooked way they base landed cost. I truly felt bad for the customers I packed with worthless warranties. I am glad to rid of this poorly managed, deceivingly cunning, company. If you are in Chicago, stick with ABT.
Reply to Sad but true

Apr 02, 2013  from Niles, Illinois
I've been working in sales for over 40 years in a variety of companies. H. H. Gregg is by far, the WORST company I have ever worked for! No decent retail company on Earth makes their salesmen buy their own BUSINESS CARDS. We also had to buy ALL of our required, red H. H. Gregg shirts. I'm sure they found a way to get a kickback for every shirt ordered....

Like so many other publicly traded companies, the Greggsters do not pay a salary versus commission. They've got "Draw vs. Commission". This means that the minimum wage they pay us for a regular, full-time week (40 hrs.) must be paid back before we get cent #1. If there is a slow week with slow traffic and few sales, employees have to pay back that draw out of the next check PRIOR to collecting any commission! This means that ALL Gregg employees work their first 40 weekly hours without net pay.

Out of the 15 store sales people currently working here, only 3 currently are on a pace to earn over $30,000 this year. I'm not one of them. My 2012 earnings here was UNDER $20K and I lead my department in sales! With 3 other people to support at home, I qualify for the "working poor" category.

I have estimated that across their entire sales force, H.H. Gregg rips us (employees) off for over $50 million per year! There's only one consistent way for us to make any money, and that is to sell extended warranries, or PSP, or "Cheese" as it's nicknamed by us. Without the warranty sales, we don't
Reply to Papi Chulo

Feb 02, 2013
hhgregg is hurting now. Sales are down 18% how will they make up for this? The answer is employees. They do not pay their sales people overtime and they work them at least 1 12 hour shift a week. This is all year. Holidays are worse people are schedules 24 hours and discouraged from taking breaks! They know they can get away with most of it because commission laws are barely laws...
Reply to Wifi

Nov 16, 2012
I though I hated my job with the company!! Sales is sales. It's cut throat. There are shady ppl in every store. I think the worst thing about our store is the lack of experience in the management. There is zero consistency or communication between the three of them. Trying to locate one when u need them is a whole other story. I don't know about y'all but I keep track ofy paychecks and if something is wrong I do a little thing called a file back to get paid. The rebates are always taken care or and they no longer screw u when landeds change. U get paid according to what the landed was the day u sold the item. I usually don't defend this company but it sounds like most of you just sucked at ur jobs.
Reply to HHGregg current

Nov 07, 2012
Originally I was apprehensive about applying there because I had read so many negative things but I will tell you now that I am happy I did. I have worked at hhg in st.louis for 98 days now and i can tell you from an honest perspective that this can be a good job. Out of my last 6 paychecks i have only had one below $1000 and one as much as $1600 with the average being $1150. The st.louis stores just opened up 9 weeks ago and i will have to say that hhgregg has gone to significant lengths to advertise on radio, print, billboard, bus, and tv. Not everyone is making the kind of money i make, it takes some experience and hard work, and anyone who works to their potential can do it. I will tell you that the hhgregg business plan calls for minimal staffing, which means that the commissioned workers end up doing hourly stuff when they could be selling to customers. This includes dusting, replacing tags (that usually dont need replacing), vacuuming carpet, rearranging products for no apparent reason, and much much more. Another thing that really bothers me is that they pay you 1% on volume and 12% of profit but they create what’s called landed cost and anything over this is considered profit. What I have noticed is that some items are priced below landed costs so you only get 1% and that sometimes when we do price matching to BestBuy the new price will be below landed costs. On top of that landed costs will change from week to week depending on what’s on sale. So... Show more
Reply to googd and bad like any employe

Aug 11, 2012
I worked here. It's a terrible place.

Let's start with the training....There is none. I go to school for computers, otherwise I'd have had no clue what I was selling, since they never taught me anything. Every other saturday there is a morning meeting, which basically tells the associates not to sell most of the items in the circular (because they are money-losers). Occasionally we got a brief training on the computer involving products we didn't carry. If there was a meeting, you can expect to work open to close unless you are in the inner circle of management (12+ hour shifts).

Lets go to the employees. You have two types. The one that feels bad because they know what they are doing wrong and the people they work for are terrible people. And then you have the scumbags that brag about selling overpriced warranties to people and doing unethical deals. Take this for example..At my store this one guy had the manager's login information. He always checked the prices of the TV he was selling first. Then he got the consumer to purchase the warranty at a "discount." If a TV has 1,000 dollars markup, he knows he can offer the 500 dollar warranty for 250 and still make money for the store. But instead of discounting the warranty, he discounts the TV. The TV rings up at say 2500 instead of 2800, and if anything happens to it, it's only covered up to 2500 now (but the consumer doesn't realize that). I've also seen idiots claim that if the TV breaks they
Reply to Adam

Aug 06, 2012
I firmly believe that hhgregg needs to participate in undercover boss or perhaps they don't give a *** at all anymore about how this place is run. The management is, at best, are incompetent and lazy, the way the schedules are changed sometimes 4or5 times a week without letting any employees or other managers know then trying to hand out write ups because u were going by the original schedule given, or even the way management often speak to customers. It is true that this company is a cluster F@%* that is literally flushing itself down the toilet. I have never worked in such a poorly managed establishment.
Reply to outathere4good

Jan 04, 2013
you never worked for lee"s appliance in north east ,ohio....consider urself lucky
Reply to maxxy

Read next HHGregg complaint

Stay away from HHGregg

My experience seems similar to others here.Delivery of LG refrigerator was bad.Sub-contractor couldn...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about HHGregg.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug