• show-popup

Product / Service Hgtv 2008 Dream Home
Location South Bend, Indiana
Category Home Construction and Repair
Views 674

The 2008 HGTV Dream home is a total FRAUD.Firstly, the supposed "surprised" winner Stephanie wasn't even shocked, surprised, overwhelmed or ANYTHING when HGTV walked into her home....just barging in at 10:00 at night...telling her she won, and her having absolutely NO response.

Of course all her friends and family were there...because HGTV contacted her friend weeks earlier (as one of them admitted on a video..). (OH yeah, they just happened to BE THERE for a birthday party, when it wasn't even her birthday. HGTV had us all believing this was a complete surprise on LIVE television. WHAT A LIE!!

...It's funny, when I entered the contest they didn't ask me for a friends name! How strange... Additionally, when asked by Lauren Lake of HGTV what her favorite show on the network was...she couldn't answer! ...The whole interview the supposed winner acted like she lied her way through it!

They even asked her how often she entered, and she looked to her husband as if she was making it up along the way...You would think that HGTV would check the IP address on where the entries came from....Her friends and family all said they entered and probably entered "Stephanie" and she didn't even know it!
I'm turning off HGTV...they are dishonest. 2df273b

Comments (20) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

May 29, 2013  from Washington, District Of Columbia
This post if old, but I have a comment. I don't think that the sweepstake is a scam, but I do believe that it is unreliable. The rules said that you can enter only twice per day, yet, their software will let you enter as many times per day as you wish! I mistakenly did that on the previous dream house and I emailed them to complain of that flaw... Never got a response. Now, if somebody decides to exploit this flaw and enter 2000 times a day, would they have a better chance of winning if the silly online entries batch gets picked? You bet! In addition, I signed up for the daily email reminders, which is sporadic at best. Some days I get it, some days I don't... how can you trust a company that really doesnt have their act together?
Reply to Mina

Apr 21, 2013
The complete incestuous w...h.,or..e that is sessa doesn't amaze me in the least....hehehe Daddy spoolged all over her face.
Reply to sessaSucks

Apr 21, 2013  from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
The complete delusion and idiocy of people on the internet never ceases to amaze me. These complaints are ridiculous bu!!$hit. Some of you clearly need therapy and perhaps medication.
Reply to sessa

Apr 20, 2013  from Los Angeles, California
I agree. HGTV contests are rigged. Every winner is ready and waiting for the door bell to ring and then come tho the door (of their already beautiful home and obvious wealthy position in life). They never go to area codes that don't match their desire of aesthetics. The people that answer the door and their family and company are actors. Scam is hardly the word. Staged it the word, paid actors are the participants. As far as that lady that called in to win something, it would be no effort on their end to put a message to the callers that someone else had already won instead of leading people to believe that they had won so they thousands of people didn't continue to call. Even if the people were called ahead it time to set up the "surprise" win, why are they already wealthy and already living in wonderland neighborhoods? HOAX HOAX HOAX
Reply to Pamala

Oct 27, 2012
They are not excited b/c they know well in advance that they have won. But I cry bull if they are giving it away to wealthy people...but then again if you live in public housing could you actually afford the upkeep and taxes for such a home. They need to add an additional prize of taxes and utilities for the next 5 years..that still would not cover unexpected repairs.
Reply to DeJeLe

Oct 27, 2012
OK...so this is a scam but how can someone lose this home to foreclosure if it is given, deeded to you outright?? Now I can see the taxes killing you but why not turn it into a bed and breakfast or some sort of elegant, expensive time share. I will keep my eyes and ears peeled.
Reply to DeJeLe

Feb 17, 2012
:( I am so pissed. I have entered and today is the last day. So, when i entered on both sites it said there was an error and try again. I did like 10 times. I chatted with an assistant on line and she gave me a site to go too. Went there and it said unsuccessable. This is ***
Reply to michele johnson

Jan 05, 2012
As for myself,I do believe they give away the home and I believe it is legit. otherwise there would be a lot of legal complications for them to deal with. These sweepstakes are strickly regulated and they must go by rules set by the government. So,you nonbelievers go ahead and don't enter,it will be one less entry to have to deal with,9eTS but wish me luck!!
Reply to Misty123

Dec 09, 2011
:cry :(
i always thought that the dream home giveaway was real. But now i realize(especially after reading all of these comments) that it is a fraud!!! i am so pisssed that i would always enter to win the home and i would also day dream about living in the home!!
HGTV, u just lost another viewer :P
Reply to Mia

Nov 17, 2011
Of course the HGTV Home Sweepstakes is a marketing tool/scam. What are you, *** to think they would actually "giveaway" a home??? 8)
Reply to KM

Sep 17, 2011
I agree. It's very odd that all of the winners have been "perfect" people (already have a home, single student with a "mom" who is overly-motherly, husband and wife who look like they work for HGTV, etc etc . . . ) HGTV uses the Home Sweepstakes as a marketing scam. There's no chance in *** that an ordinary person who stays home and enters these sweeps could possibly be chosen at random and allowed to receive the keys to these homes on national television. These are "ACTORS", folks. Wake up.
Reply to HGTV Sweepstakes Are a Scam

Aug 27, 2011
The selling and buying of homes is Ok and interesting but PLEASE, bring back the crafting, planting, and sewing programs.
I loved all the crafting and sewing shows now there aren't any. I'm so disappointed.
Reply to Carmen A Cancel

Apr 02, 2011
Wouldn't even want the "HONOR" of winning this prize. Majority of winners have foreclosed or sold the property since they couldn't afford the taxes or upkeep. Wouldn't want to try to sell this with the housing market the way it is today. Should be happy your not in the winners shoes!
Reply to anonymous3

Apr 02, 2011
I got a call from some women one day in what sounded like the largest and loudest classroom of kids in the background and she was trying to tell me I won Blah, blah blan and 500,000 dollars. I told her I could not hear what she was saying and eventually she hung up. Though I am sure it was a scam call/prank call it made me think. HGTV was the only contest I entered lately and they had a 500,000 dollar price and on there site it said you have to respond within 5 days of them trying to contact you. Since the timing was about right for the contest I tried to contact them just to be sure and of course I could not find any way to contact them.
It just makes you think. hmmmm was I suppose to be the winner.
Reply to Mel

Mar 23, 2011
:( I WENT ONLINE TO SEE WHO WON THIS YEAR 2011 AND THE WINNER WAS THE 'PERFECT' WINNER. HOW CAN THEY PICK THE PERFECT WINNER? IF YOU READ CAREFULLY THE RULES AROUND HOW THEY PICK THE WINNER YOU WILL SEE THAT AT THERE DISCRETION ONE CAN BE DISQUALIFIED BASED ON ANY NUMBER OF CRITERIA. YOU COULD BE NOT GOOD LOOKING ENOUGH, OR NOT ARTICULATE ENOUGH, ETC... THIS IS DEFINITELY A SCAM!
Reply to R ALDRICH

Mar 19, 2011
Yep, I agree with you all. I made a comment tonight "let's watch the Dream Home giveaway" and see what millionaire they gave it to this time! Sad, shady.
Reply to Skooter

Mar 07, 2011
If it is fraudulant - why isn't it investigated so that the public won't make any more fools of themselves?
Reply to CG

Feb 28, 2011
Well her lack of emotional response aside has anyone else looked at where the winners live? Almost everyone who wins lives in the eastern part of the United States. And all of them are in close proximity to one of Scripps Networks offices.
Reply to Doug

Jan 04, 2011
I agree I also saw that show. She had no emotion or didnt care or maybe because she already lived in a $500,000 home. I believe they just want you to enter so they can get your email address just like any other corporation. Im entering anyway since they already have my info.I wonder if she wasnt excited because maybe she doesnt really get to keep the house, maybe she is affiliated with HGTV somehow. Who knows.
Reply to Dennis

Read next HGTV sweepstakes complaint

where are the arts and crafts shows

I used to really enjoy HGTV being a craft enthusiast....Now it seems like the real estate market bou...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about HGTV sweepstakes.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug