• show-popup

Location Charlotte, North Carolina
Category Finances
Views 739
Monetary Loss

Do not fall for the sales pitch to buy the Guardsman Furniture Plan.They do NOT cover damages.

First, must call and submit claim over phone, then form mailed to home to complete, then mail back to Guardsman. This took several weeks. Then claim denied because of "unknown" type stain. Guardsman list every stain known to man, to get you to ***, however I was not exactly sure what had stained my furniture.

I was honest and got denied coverage. Do not cover "unknown" stains. Also made mistake and put incorrect date, but since I signed form, that was too bad.

Felt like I was in court.DO NOT BUY THIS SERVICE.. 2dff013

Comments (70) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 70 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Jan 08  from Reading, Massachusetts
Well dealing with the same as all of the above/below. Claim denied. Unbelievable. Did I get a chance to review the policy prior to purchase? NO. Did the furniture store tell me that my "leather couch" was leather? YES. Was it? NO -- it was synthetic underneath. Bait and switch. I am taking legal action against all of them, and reporting insurance FRAUD to the PA Dept of Insurance for an investigation. They are messing with the wrong girl.
Reply to Dede

Dec 03, 2013  from Santa Rosa, California
same here... I will never buy furniture warranty again.
Reply to Le Harris

Nov 26, 2013  from Nashua, New Hampshire
They are TERRIBLE and are ripping off consumers! Denied claims that they KNOW THEY SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE for honoring. Join class action suit against them!
Reply to GuardsmanisBS

Oct 18, 2013
My experience with them has been absolutely miserable. Avoid at all costs. If you are unlucky enough to have already purchased a plan, I suggest contacting the company you bought the furniture from. Belfort Furniture has been helpful in trying to make up for the miserable service provided by Guardsman.
Reply to Melissa

Nov 13, 2013  from Baltimore, Maryland
Same for Haverty's. They have picked up the slack where Guardsman let us all down.
Reply to MikeR

Jul 26, 2013  from Eatontown, New Jersey
I agree they suck ...also in really small print they don't cover bonded leather. I shouldn't have even offered this plan since I bought leather bonded couch
Reply to ing

Jun 19, 2013
DO NOT PURCHASE THE PROTECTION PLAN FROM GUARDSMAN FURNITURE.

I do not know how these people sleep at night.

I can't even go into the ridiculous turmoil I have gone though with this company. I have wasted $99.50 and the price ($1.29.) to mail a manila envelope of my information to file the claim.

THERE IS A REASON THERE ARE 700 COMPLAINTS TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU (BBB) ON GUARDSMAN FURNITURE, 449 OF WHICH ARE WARRANTY RELATED.

Looks like I get #450! HOORAY!!

The terminology in their brochure is misleading. They say they cover "rips, tears, cuts" but very clearly in another section they do NOT claim "rips, tears, cuts". ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

DO NOT PURCHASE THE PROTECTION PLAN FROM GUARDSMAN FURNITURE.

If this review helps someone, then my $100 rip-off was not in vain.
Reply to LM

Mar 05, 2013  from Chicago, Illinois
Wont cover becuase I waited more than 5 days to put in claim.
Funny when I called with first issues last year (March 2012) the Girl (Customer Service Rep...told me it was minor issue and if I could live with it I had an additional 2 years on warranty ...just wait for big issue or she could put in claim now. So I made the mistake of dealing with broke cup holder and ripped sectional divider. Put tape on rip to prevent it from getting worse..since then, both cables broke on armless recliners and other 3 cup holders have either broke or started to break...so NOW when I call to submit claim and get all fixed at once..they pulled this is covered cause you didnt claim it within 5 days of occurance. BS technicallity they are using when their own CS rep told me I was better off to wait cause I could only put in a request one time on 5 ears. Now they are saying thats not true I could use as many times as things happen in the 5 years.

they cant keep their story straight and now they are screwing me cause I was honest about dates of occurances as well.

Well onto BBB and Credit Card company to fight Guardsman as well as smear their God awful name ....its companies like this who screw hard working people out of their hard earned money and continue to make money for doing absolutely NOTHING for it.

Well I'm not going to let this go unresolved...TRUST ME!

I hope that anyone finds this THINKS TWICE and REALLY HARD about
... Show more
Reply to Another Screwed Gaurdsman and

Feb 20, 2013  from Los Angeles, California
Guardsman is a rip off. Their plan has a condition where you have to report a problem within five days of damage which I didn't know. There are probably many other conditions for them to weasle out of coverage. I'm out $200 and will never buy their protection plan again. This is also due to their unwillingness to work with the customer. One-ten, I give them a zero in cusotmer support
Reply to Don'tbuyGuardsman'sPlan

Feb 20, 2013  from Hillsborough, New Jersey
Guardsman furniture people are cheaters. I bought my sofa from Bobs discount furniture, bought protection plan and it got ripped off in 4 years. Made multiple phone calls, they never return phone call. Even when you contact , they put you on hold for many minutes. I'm calling BBB now.
Reply to ankedia

Feb 04, 2013  from Germantown, Maryland
Totally agree that this 'protection policy' is a RIP-OFF. Has anyone every gotten them to honor the policy and pay a claim or repair damage? I am going to let the furniture store who sold me the 'protection' know about their practices and tell them that I will never do business with them again if they continue to peddle this useless piece of paper to their customers.
Reply to marlo

Dec 14, 2012
Valspar investor relations owns Guardsman. Gary E Hendrickson is the Board Chairman & CEO.
E-mail address is mmolitor@valspar.com

Contact them!!!!!
Reply to Magnet

Nov 13, 2012
I purchased a 5yr plan. I have filled two warranty requests. To put it simply they make as difficult as possible. Some of people are nice, most are not. DO NOT BUY THIS PLAN! It is really not usable in the real world. Save your 500 dollars! It is not worth the hassle of dealing with a company that really does not want to work with you!
Reply to DISAPPOINTED FROM NJ

Oct 09, 2012
TOTAL RIP OFF DENIED MY CLAIM BECAUSE I DIDN'T GET THE FORMS WITHIN THE 10 DAY TIMELINE. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! EVERYONE REPORT TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREU. LETS START A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT !!! THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO PAY FOR THEIR LIES. WE NEED QUALITY COMPANIES IN AMERICA NOT LIARS AND CHEATS!

Sep 27, 2012
A TOTAL waste of money. Don't fall for it...
Reply to GT Giles

Sep 15, 2012
I have to add my 2 cents. I just finished dealing with Guardsman, and must say how impressed and pleased I am with their service.

About 2 months ago I punctured a hole with my stiletto heel in my leather couch, which I bought over 2 years ago, and insured with Guardsman. Once I noticed the hole, I immediately filed a claim with Guardsman (about a day after it happened). Two weeks later, I was contacted by a technician and scheduled repair appointment. He spent over an hour trying to fix it, but could not, and promised to escalate the claim to the next level. About 3 weeks went by, and I finally called Guardsman to check on the status. By that point I thought they were trying to let the claim die, slowly and quietly. Alas, I was wrong: Guardsman claims specialist told me that since they can't fix it, they can either send me a check for $450, and I can try to find a local tech to fix it. Or, they can replace the couch with an identical new one. I picked the second option, of course. 3 days later, furniture store delivered a brand new couch.

Like any other insurance policy, in order to get it to work, we have to follow the guidelines exactly, and then the company would not be able to deny us.

I woud recommend Guardsman anytime.
Reply to Very impressed with their serv

Feb 09, 2013  from Tampa, Florida
I think youwork for the company. Too many complaits here. I will not buy a protection plan.
Reply to Al

May 23, 2013
sounds too easy to be true for guardsmans bad reputation
Reply to CthruU

Jul 24, 2012
Rip-off. They do not cover odor issues. If it is a stain, they claim they will fix it. After a pet got sick on our couch they said it was an odor issue and that is not covered.
Reply to James from ATlanta

Jul 19, 2012
I am embarrassed we bought the Guardsman Plan for our dining room chair seats and stools. We paid a lot of money for this, only to have stains the first time we used the set. I expected the fabric to be like Scotch-guard. OMG, everything just soaked in and was very difficult to remove. When I called Guardsman, the person said she would email 3 forms to me, which I never received. Ugh. When I read what others have gone through to make a claim, I am really upset that Furnitureland South even promotes the product. Guardsman should stick to their hardwood furniture polish.
Reply to Sandy from Wisconsin

Read next Guardsman complaint

Guardsman Warranty a total Ripoff

Guys, this company is a ripoff and Sears doesn't do anything either, I purchased a 3 seat sectio...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Guardsman.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug