• show-popup

Shares 0

GNC-I work there, check this out for the shocking truth

Company GNC
Product / Service Multivitamins
Location Houston, Texas
Category Supermarkets and Malls
Views 1587

I work there and they will lie to customers to cover there a**es. They cut my hours when I refused to lie to my customers.

I do have ethics you know. I would never lie and have the possibility of harming someone by selling a wrong product for the stores gain.

Guess what? Numbers are more important than the customer according to GNC. We have to sell multivitamins on every sale!

If we cannot sell certain items or meet point goals, we get fired! Yes, I said fired!

They harass me daily and do not give me the time to learn the products.

The manager just sold a customer multivitamins for excess water weight in his body. What?! Then griped at me for not doing the same.

Stay away from them if you want to stay healthy. 2d3621e

Comments (118) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 118 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Feb 18
I was a store manager for four years, worked directly under my RSD and had the privilege of dealing with Stu as my DSD. Uhhh, that was the worst, most unethical job I've ever had. I was treated like horse ***, the number pushing is very real in corporate stores and the customer needs do not matter to corporate. They cut commissions when I was there, cut clerical hours, and began to sell that premium product ***. There is NOTHING premium about GNC synthetic, *** vitamins. That took away our 3rd party sales (where the commission was) and made us sell *** products, which caused high returns and pissed customers off. They wanted that done because it costs nothing to make GNC brand....they wanted that margin. It is never about the customers unless you work for a franchise or your manager lets you squeak by with your morals until they are forced to fire you.

Feb 07
I've been at GNC for nearly two years and it's really not so bad. Yeah, if you don't make certain goals, you're let go. But it's not that fast. Your RSD will put you on an action plan, usually written by your own manager. This plan says very little about sales, but effort and education. There is PLENTY of time to learn about products and there benefits-between the little class units, mailers, and workbooks there are a lot of materials available!
Also-I know for a fact that my manager would log out, change out of uniform, and whoop my butt up and down the parking lot if I ever lied, cheated, or took advantage of a customer. Maybe you're missing what the policies are changing to or maybe your region needs a bit of an overhaul, because this isn't the right way to sell and our region-though driving and full spectrum, is ALWAYS talking about selling the customer what they want, asking questions, and explaining to them what they may need. I've never been in trouble for not selling certain products to people that don't need them.
Sidenote: Your sales performance is NOT the only thing that is taken into account for raises and you are NOT stuck at minimum wage. Yes, it's a demanding job. If you throw your heart into it, though, it's completely worthwhile.

Nov 09, 2013
Got terminated because I consumed a drink before paying for it. I was a top 10 ranking employee too. Oh wells.

Feb 07
Lol, how can you be upset for getting fired when you stole something?

Jul 21, 2013  from Tucker, Georgia
Was that a corporate store or franchise? I work for a franchise and they encourage me to be honest and sell what i believe in
Reply to AtlantaFItGuy

Jul 12, 2013  from Houston, Texas
The whole company is about the customer, did I miss that what you are saying you don’t like to offer to people is a multivitamin? How can they NOT be for their customers when the whole store is aimed to make you healthy and fit? It sounds like your store didn’t know how to allocate their hours. That is a manager issue not a GNC issue. Every region gets a certain amount of hours for all of the stores in that region. If one store has more employees than another obviously you will get less hours, it doesn’t matter how many hours you want, the total hours per store are for the month. Talk to your RSD or SSM before you complain on a public website and think they are picking on you for not doing what we all do everyday, meet our sales goals by helping customers get healthy.

Aug 15, 2013
Well constructed argument, however, everyone who has ever worked for GNC knows this is complete garbage. The original poster is absolutely correct in what they said about pushing vitamins to people and that "everyone should have a multivitamin" even though any well educated person knows that isn't true. Sorry GNC rep, you tried but only the naive will take the bait on this response.....

Oct 07, 2013
agreed. (current employee)
Reply to Lol

Oct 30, 2013
lol GNC rep right here. hitting KPI takes precedence over honesty.
anyone whos worked at GNC would know that.

Jul 12, 2013  from Houston, Texas
The whole company is about the customer, did I miss that what you are saying you don’t like to offer to people is a multivitamin? How can they NOT be for their customers when the whole store is aimed to make you healthy and fit? It sounds like your store didn’t know how to allocate hours. That is a manager issue not a GNC issue. Every region gets a certain amount of hours for all the store in that region. If one store has more employees than another you will obviously get less hours it doesn’t matter how many hours you want, the hours per store are for the month. Talk to your RSD or SSM before you complain on a public website and think they are picking on you for not doing what we all do every day, meet our goals by helping customers get healthy.

Jul 12, 2013  from Tempe, Arizona
Why don't they just offer hamburgers like McDonalds. Come on they are vitamins.... you're not asking would you like fries with that? Stop complaining and just ask everybody man, it is all health supplements. How can vitamins not help (I'm kidding I'm sure a few Americans that eat our bad western diet don't need them)? Cant' you go work for another company if you don't like the pay, their "rules" and the COMMISSION there?

Jul 12, 2013  from Phoenix, Arizona
I don’t see why you feel that offering a multivitamin to me or any customer is a burden or pushy, especially if I do not take one. Perhaps you are just uninformed of all of the benefits or unable to explain the benefits of taking a multivitamin to me in order to meet my needs and make your goals or whatever.
Reply to Luv2Lift

Nov 20, 2012
GNC does really suck when it comes to supplements. They will push you to purchase things you dont even need and sometimes make you feel *** for not buying them or going with the cheaper products! I had bad experience every time i went but last time just topped it off. I went there for fish oil and the employee at the store swore that the ridiculously over priced fish oil worked much better for him and that i should get the expensive one. like seriously dude? ITS FISH OIL! You cant even tell it works haha! For all we know, it doesn't! Save your time and money and go to somewhere non commission based. www.bodybuilding.com is the best place in my opinion!
Reply to kdawg

Aug 24, 2012
Well anyone that buys all this *** can't get lean, strong, tone, and in shape with an organic lean diet.. Hands down anyone wants to contradict this ***??? People broke or not, regardless need to eat, taki.g protein is a want not a need because we sall can get our necessary nutrients with the right meals, snacks or even appetizers everyday!!!
Reply to doug

Jul 11, 2012
Gnc is full of *** I used to work there too and managers and other sales associates steal your sales if it will help their numbers and just because I didn't want to push their products I got fired I don't think anyone should work for that company
: :(
Reply to M

Jul 09, 2012
For everyone killing GNC, it all depends on which store you go to. I work there and my manager and every associate cares about the customers. We meet our goal in sales every day by giving customers what they need, so *** guys, don't hate cause you only work at one store.
Reply to J.P. Locoman

Jul 09, 2012
Reply to J.P. Locoman

Jun 17, 2012
Gnc is a total ripoff and the people who work there are all mean and can't do anything but push there own product for there own numbers game
Reply to Abc Fgnc

May 27, 2012
Working at gnc now. Its a *** job, and everyone is obsessed with nothing but numbers. Minimum wage, part time, no benefits. And you're constantly being hounded for the *** you sell. They don't care about their customers, or their sales associates.
Reply to gncsalrep

Apr 22, 2012
Worked at GNC Canada for many years. This used to be a good company to work for, but not any more! The only focus is about KPIs and other numbers, not about the customers or employees. I've moved on...with a nice settlement...thanks GNC... :grin

Read next GNC complaint

GNC store employees are good, pay is bad.

Traveling to different states, I noticed in-store employees were friendly and courteous when I was a...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about GNC.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug