• show-popup

Shares 0

Eharmony and no refunds with Auto-Renew

Company Eharmony
Product / Service Trial Membership
Location Plano, Texas
Category Social Networks
Views 259
Monetary Loss

I am so angry!I signed up with eharmony for the 3 month subscription and they just auto-renewed my membership which 1.

I didn't want and 2. they have no option for a refund after they auto-renew your membership! I find this to be very shady business practices as they make it seem like there is a refund option, however once they auto-renew YOUR account they don't even give you a 3 day trial period to cancel!

This is unacceptable and more people should know about this before signing up- that in fact you cant undo an auto-renew..

a trustworthy business practice would be to extend the same 3 day cancellation trial period they make available when signing up apply to ANY and ALL charges that they make to their customers accounts. I am filing a dispute with my bank as well as the BBB. I cant sit back and let this happen to me.

It's just not fair.I didn't want a renewal and thats all there is to it. 300dbc2

Comments (15) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Mar 15  from Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi all,
Well...me, like...I believe everyone else in here, have the same issue. Auto-renewal without consents from E-harmony. My questions are:
DID ANYONE FIND A WAY TO GET THEIR MONEY BACK?
IS THERE A CIVIL LAW SUIT THAT COULD BE FILED AGAINST THESE SCAMBUGS???
OK, If anyone has a clue or was successful on getting their money back please share with us!
THanks, Claudio
Reply to CRM001

Mar 10
It is 1th March 2014 as I write this. I kept a date of when my subscription was due to end and went through the procedure to cancel auto renewal from the renewal date. (End of February). However, when I checked my bank account today I found Eharmony had taken £68.65 from my Bank Account on 3rd March 2014. That is a lot of money and, as far as I am concerned it is theft. What can I do about this?
Reply to Margaret

Feb 02  from Tyler, Texas
I also discontinued eHarmony in the Account Setting Billing tab after taking advantage of a 3 month "special offer" and was billed for another month at full price. This is a rip off. If you decide to risk it, when you're ready to discontinue, call their "helpless" line and tell the operator to turn off auto renewal and ask her to send an email confirming it's discontinued. Save the email in case you're charged again so you can have proof when you call your credit card company and dispute the charge.
Reply to Ricksterzz

Nov 15, 2013  from Morristown, New Jersey
I had a very similar experience. I had signed up for a year, and the last 6 months, the matches have been horrible (200+ miles away & 'just outside of my settings'). They trap people into signing up for another year by giving NO reminder notice. The charge came through to my cc today. I called to cancel, they said I had missed the window and that I was contractually obliged to have another year.

I definitely would not have signed up for an auto renew, but of course they are telling me that I did.

Worst Customer Service ever.

NO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS.
Reply to Annoyed

Sep 09, 2013  from Austin, Texas
I am going through the same thing right now. eHarmony is trying to steal $167 from me. The payment is still pending in my credit card account yet they refuse to give me a refund. The services haven't even been rendered! It's a complete scam. I would never recommend eHarmony after this awful customer service experience.
Reply to Stacey

Aug 21, 2013  from San Diego, California
eHarmony is AWFUL!!! Do NOT use them! Such a corporate SCAM! Bad customer service, bad matchmaking, just bad bad bad. Use Match.com, three of my girlfriends found love there and are on their way to marriage :)
Reply to jesse1984

May 20, 2013  from Toronto, Ontario
I signed up for the full 6 month membership on eHarmony, and was very disappointed in the `service' provided. I was consistently matched with men more than 15 or 20 years older than me, even though in their extensive questionnaire I indicated that age was important to me.

I wanted to ensure that I didn't waste any more money on this site, so I made sure to cancel the auto-renewal at least 3 months before my membership was due for renewal. I stopped logging in completely, as it was useless.

I just received my credit card statement, and found a renewal charge for $209!! I was so angry, I telephoned eHarmony right away to request a refund. They refused. Said that apparently my attempt to cancel the auto-renewal did not go through. They apparently have this problem often, so they state in their instructions that you have to double check that it went through!?

***! Complete scam - any honest company would agree to refund for a product that you clearly do not want, and did not use. Any honest company would not make the auto-renewal the default and only option. Any honest company would notify you that your policy would be renewing, and give you the option to cancel. Any honest company would not make it next to impossible to find out how to cancel a membership, and then make the process so dysfunctional that educated people cannot follow it.

Too many people let them get away with this. I have contacted the
... Show more
Reply to Scammed

Sep 09, 2013  from Austin, Texas
Did you get your money back? I'm in the same boat!
Reply to Stacey

Nov 09, 2012
If you call the 800 number and demand a refund,and request to speak to a supervisor you will get a refund. The phone agent is strongly urged to convince you that you can't get a refund. Also they don't want your bank to do a charge back, so let them know your next step is to call your bank. Don't use the account after the autorenewal, cuz then you used the service and they can try to say you used the site etc etc...
Reply to inofromexperience

Sep 13, 2012
This happened to me where I wasn't aware of auto renewal, and notified customer care the day I received notice of the charge to let them know I did not authorize. They refused to refund that very same morning less than hours that charge happened. I disputed with my charge card company.

Meanwhile, I get a new eHarmony 3 month special offer over a month later. I decided to accept the offer and charged my membership accordingly. I get matched and in communication with 3 guys. I'm actually as far along as making date plans. Never does this happen where my experience is good - especially where one in particular is appearing excellent match up.

Tonight I get notice that eHarmony deactivated my account. Customer Care tells me they can't do anything to reactive and the matches will no longer see my profile as I move into closed status with them. WTF?!!

Talk about shady and contradictory to their own declared mission “eHarmony is committed to helping its members find highly compatible, long-term relationships."

Their policies have no interest in providing a positive customer experience or delivering what they promise. I hate eHarmony and am pretty sure there are 3 guys who would feel the same way if they knew I wasn't the flake I was made to appear by eHarmony making me disappear without notice.
Reply to eHarmony Hater

Sep 13, 2012

Reply to eHarmony hater

Aug 07, 2012
i do not know about your state but florida states that any company must give written notice to you in regards to a charge via an auto renew to your bank.... i know there are 15 other states with the same laws....i was issued a full refund, with some help from the BBB..... good luck
Reply to huboyd2000

Jul 15, 2012
Regardless if they allow for a 3 day period for a refund when u pay at signup, they should offer the same 3 day period for when they auto- renew bc technically that's like signing up again. That is fair business practices, in fact other dating sites handle their auto-renewals this way. Eharmony is definitely shady in comparison. As a consumer most reputable business have return/refund options ANYTIME a payment is processed. Dear Heather..common sense is one thing- FAIR POLICIES and ETHICAL payment practices are another.
Reply to Blessedone

Jul 15, 2012
It's not shady business practice. Any business who allows a free trial does this. They usually tell you how to turn it off as you sign up or they will charge you. Maybe you missed that warning? But you should always check for an auto-renewal regardless. Just common sense. This is for any business not just eharmony.
Reply to Heather

Jul 14, 2012
:sigh Sorry it happens with many auto-withdrawl features. I cancelled a membership with a fitness club after my first year with them and they charged me 2 more additional months with the promise every time I called they cancelled it.

The only way to ensure an auto-deduction will not happpen is to close your account and reopen it either at another bank or another branch under a variation of your name after 2 weeks.

Even with Online Purchases with todays fraudulent merchants, I always report my credit card as lost at least once a year or when I have doubts regarding the safety of credit card information from the merchant.

It keeps me protected from fraud that is difficult to curtail.
Reply to Electriclyn2

Read next Eharmony complaint

EHARMONY ALLOWS FAKE ACCOUNTS TO RUIN MARRIAGE

Someone hacked my email account and made a fake eharmony profile using my name and email address. I...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Eharmony.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug