• show-popup

Product / Service Poetry Contest And Book
Location Christiansted, Virgin Islands
Category Newspapers & Magazines
Views 447

a poet stands at the center of society and becomes a revelator.

i was sent a letter to enter a poetry contest and buy a book of poetry with my poem in it

i sent the check for the amount they asked for and the poem
i have not received what was promised
the company is Eber & Wein Publishing 597 s main st Shrewsbury, pa 17361 the new york adress is 244 5th avenue ny ny 10001-7604

i am stunned numbless...they need to be in jail i would like for the attorney general of both states ro track and hunt these POETRY PREDATORS down, order them to repay treble damages to every poet 2e59c29

Comments (41) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 41 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Mar 27
The deadline is July 31 2013?' What I just got my semi finals thing! You're telling me it's over?! Or is it a new contest?!
Reply to Anadelia

Dec 13, 2013  from Des Moines, Iowa
I would like to know the outcome of for the National Amateur Poetry Competition with the July 31, 2013 deadline. Please email me Lana Jean Mitchell at mitchelllana471@gmail.com. Thank you.
Reply to Poetess

Aug 13, 2013  from Indianapolis, Indiana
:( I wrote a poem back in May 2013 about love and i didn't get nothing for a long time until June 24. 2013. telling me about i was in the semi-finals, it was told that i will be getting my copies of my paper soon. haven't seen anything else yet. I didn't give any money I won't. Please don't send any money what looks good or hear good isn't what it seems. Some of the companies or crooks.
Reply to Bobo14

Jul 28, 2013
And I have one more question: If Eber & Wein is credible, wouldn't they send your name and poem to some other poetry publishers so they can contact you, so that you may become a legitimate poet??? Think about it. Eber & Wein hasn't done that for me! :x
Reply to One World Away

Aug 19, 2013
What makes them obligated or necessary to do so? Why would a publishing company contact the competition and hand away business? That makes no sense.
Reply to Diego

Aug 31, 2013  from Chantilly, Virginia
Sorry for your misfortune. I've been dealing with Eber and Wein for years and hAve had no problems. If you don't get your book or anything else you were suppose to receive, then call them. One time it took a while for me to receive my book, but when I called them, the book was received a week later. They also sent my name to another company and I was chosen to write a poem for them. Give them a call and Good luck!

Jul 28, 2013
I entered this contest a few years back. My poem was published in Endless Horizons, Shy Dawn. I was so on top of the world that I just HAD to purchase this book and show it off. So, next time came around and they're asking me for another poem...I wrote a very deep and heartfelt poem about losing my father to a murdering doctor, whom forever changed my life. Still, to this day, I have not heard anything about that poem, notta. That really hurt. Any reply is better than none. That was about two years ago. Yesterday I got an e-mail from Eber & Wein. They want me to write another poem for their Who's Who in American Poetry contest, and are calling these people they are summoning "most accomplished amateur poets" pssh, really?! Well, what about my last poem you so disregarded without an explanation? I'm at a bridge that I am not sure I want to cross again. Who really wants to purchase their own work like I did in the past? I understand I am purchasing other people's poems as well, and it's a foot in the door for myself and them, so I bought it..but again, I just don't know. Should I or should I not pour my emotions, dreams and heart into another poem that may just be ignored and forgotten?
Reply to One World Away

Jul 09, 2013  from Orlando, Florida
First red flag to look for: They ask you for money. It's a contest, why are they asking you to send them money for the book. They are making money off someone else's poetry and making money off the poets that wrote the poetry. I read they're selling the book of poems that they receive on Amazon for $69.95. :x Just unbelievable! :roll
Reply to mar

Aug 31, 2013  from Chantilly, Virginia
It tells you that you don't have to purchase anything. But let's be foreal- who wouldn't want to see their work in a book? Your poem will still be in it whether you purchase it or not, It's your choice.

Mar 07, 2013
The home page for Poetry .com right now has a banner ad to The World Poetry Movement. The banner is labeled an advertisement but if you view the source you can see the banner is hosted on Poetry .com server which is highly unusually for a high traffic website.

Me thinks the new ownership of poetry .com and The World Poetry Movement (WPM) are connected. WPM has been associated with Eric Muech, former part owner of the original Poetry .com.

Here is a quote from Library of Congress website regarding Eber and Wein's connection to WPM
"According to the Pennsylvania Department of State, the president of the company is Rachel Mueck, who may be related to Eric Mueck, a former employee of the International Library of Poetry.
Eber & Wein publications share the same ISBN prefix (978-1-60880) as World Poetry Movement publications. In addition, the subscription database Global Books in Print indicates that World Poetry Movement anthologies are published by Eber & Wein. Consequently, the two companies appear, at the least, to be affiliated."

If you're up for it I think some serious investigation is called for!
Reply to PoetrynotCom

Jun 07, 2012
I sent my poem in just like many of you had. I became really anxious after a while when I hadn't recieved a book yet although I had recieved three letters since sending in my poem. I finally did recieve my book anthology From a window: serenity.
They asked for another poem and since I had recieved my product I hadn't questioned it. I bought another book. The contest I entered was Novemeber poetry month in 2011. It is now June 2012 and I hadn't heard a thing. I'm afraid I might have fallen for another scam which is really hard to believe.
Reply to Kate

Apr 05, 2012
It takes them a while to print and sent all of the copies you need to be patient. I had forgotten about my copy when I finaly recieved it. Please be patient and dont over react.
Reply to poetry lover

Apr 03, 2012
I sent them money as well to be published. In October of 2011 I received a copy of "From a Window: Affection" in which my poem had been published. I am not quite sure this was a scam
Reply to Aegean

Dec 25, 2011
I believe i entered the contest in March. i got my authors proof, payed money to buy a book, and surely around October i received it. my poem did get published and was in the book "From A Window: Affection".
Reply to Alaina

Dec 01, 2011
I have been waiting for the winners since the contest ended in april. luckily I did not purchase ***. they have no updates anywhere :(
Reply to Stupid

Nov 20, 2011
I sent money to Eber and Wine for an anthology which my poem presumably would be published. I got no anthology and Eber is not responding to emails. Shoddy, Fraud, whatever. don't send these people money. DO NOT SEND THESE PEOPLE MONEY.
Reply to Pete

Nov 07, 2011
I sent them money for a book and recieved it 3.5 months later. I also sent them money for a semi-finalist plaque the same time and it still never arrived. It doesn't take that long for something that simple! :(
Reply to Angel from Michigan

Aug 31, 2013  from Chantilly, Virginia
If you have not received it, call them. They will send it out to you!

Oct 01, 2011
I recieved my authors proof.sent it back, and haven't heard anything since.they had also sent me a letter asking for another poem,which I sent.it must be a scam.they were suppose to inform me of the winners by the end of August.It's now October 1st.Im glad that I didn't purchase the book.it's bad enough they've robbed my poetry.Mabey we should start a petition to boycott their website.
Reply to T in Gloversville

Aug 27, 2011
I received the same letter regarding a poem, but im glad i never sent any money.
Reply to stena

Read next Eber and Wein Publishing complaint

Poetry Contest Scam/Everyone Wins/Want Money

Eber & Wein sends everyone who enters a poem a letter that that informs them that "your poem has...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Eber and Wein Publishing.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug