• show-popup

Product / Service Barbizon Modeling School
Location Detroit, Michigan
Category Schools
Views 2888

I knew going in to this that it was a scam.unfortunately we would do anything for our kids.

After we got our card in the mail and calling them I asked if they were going to try to sell us modeling classes and they stated "No". I took my son to the BS seminar and sure enough they filled his head with false hopes and dreams and then hit us with the sales pitch. My fault for falling for it in the first place.

Now my son is crushed, angry at me, and Barbizon will get their naive fools that actually pay.
2e99e2a

Comments (673) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 673 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Oct 11, 2013
Unfortunately not everyone makes it, just like not all the boys who participate in college football get to play in the NFL. You don't see anyone screaming the NFL is a scam. My daughter was/is a Barbizon model and has been all over the world at only 19. She has been to Europe/Asia/New York/L.A. It took lots of hard work and dedication since she was 14yrs old. It finally paid off at 17. A full 3 years from her start. I'm sorry your daughter/son didn't make it but I can assure you it works.
Reply to MD

Oct 06, 2013  from Wailuku, Hawaii
I am new at this barbizon thing its sounds like a school that are looking for certain types of people and i guess if the agents dont like you then they wont pick. thats what im getting out of all these comments. I have my thing tomorrow and if thye dont like me then ill just try harder. WHOEVER POSTED THIS IS JUST STUP 8) ID!!!!
Reply to NAGA

Jul 24, 2013
I am a Barbizon model and trust me, it is not a scam. The classes are a lot of money but they totally pay off. My mother took me at the age of 13 and paid for the classes. At first we were very skeptical about the whole thing, but after all the classes, I learned so much. It made me more confident and it definitely improved my appearance. Barbizon is full of great opportunities and I wouldn't take back my experience. My friend who attended the class with me has already been in magazines and on billboards. Another is shooting a movie. So that's that.

Jun 08, 2013
Having gone to Len Chris Ann when I was younger, I contacted Barbizon about modeling classes for my *boys*. Taking modeling classes anywhere does not guarantee your child will succeed in the modeling career. It takes dedicated parents and certain places look for certain looks.
Not sure if you went to what they call an audition, which is really an interview, but Barbizon (if you do your research) is a modeling school, which provides modeling and some light acting classes for personal presentation.
Maybe, based on your attitude, it would be helpful for you to take some classes? :grin

Feb 22, 2013
This company is a HUGE scam. I too was told only limited spots as my twin daughters ages 15 were "Chosen" Or lack of a better term "Called back" my girls are extremely talented, outgoing, beautiful and smart. They were told all the wonderful things and false promises were rendered all for a price of 3500 if not more. I told the rep let me sleep on it, she smiled and said no problem and to let het know very soon. She ended our meeting by telling my daughters be nice to mom and dad, do your chores and homework. Be good so that way you two can come here. :eek I was shockd :roll I would never pay anyone to teach my daughter how to walk with heels on. This whole thing is nothing short from a money making rip off. In the process young girls get hurt. My daughters are smart and they even looked the other way when they heard the price. We all walked out of their money in tact as well as their pride, dignity and self respect. And I never got a phone call back. Once she heard let me sleep on it and figured out my credit card was not being submitted to her right then and there she moved along to the next victim. It's called commission. I would do ANYTHING for my children, and have. Their dad and I are 100% Supportive and will pay within reason. I refuse to be a financial fool. And to those parents who believe that there isn't a price tag on life,... Show more

Feb 20, 2013  from Fair Oaks, California
im allison i go to barbizon i am 11 years old and i find that barbizon is absulutly amazing ... this feb 23 i am going to graduate and get my headshots also i get a chance to sing,dance,model, or act for a world scout agent named julie im going to sing taylor swift safe and sound.....tot ecxited!! 8)
Reply to allison

Jan 13, 2013
Barbizon is not a scam it's amazing I've already gotten my first job only one month after I graduated :(

Jan 31, 2013  from Beaumont, Texas
really ? because im wanting to try it but im really scared to, im going to pay for it out of my money i have saved up.
Reply to angie

Feb 22, 2013  from Redlands, California
I am telling you now honey...SAVE YOUR MONEY. Establish yourself in school. Join choir, drama, art or yearbook staff. I say this because not only will it give you confidence money cannot buy but it will look great when you make out a resume when the time comes to model or act. it shows how outgoing you are with all your accomplishments. Best of luck to you on your journey, But some things money cannot buy, things that are free. And there ARE talent scouts that DO choose others because they love the person for WHO they are and NOT what modeling/acting school you attended and how much money you have invested. There is no price tag on natural talent and personality and it get chosen ALL the time for FREE, and is highly desired in this day and age within the industry. Be smart about it :grin

Mar 07
Barbizon is not a scam! I am currently taking the classes. I am 13 years old and my sister is also in it, she is 19. They told us that they look for people with certain personalities and inner beauty. Just go in confident and have a smile on your face, you'll do great!
Reply to laurennn

Dec 05, 2012
I was a barbizon student a few months ago. I don't completely agree that it was a scam, but I was very mistreated. In every class other than acting I was called fat and ugly. I am not trying to be conceited, but I am in good shape and I wouldn't consider myself ugly especially in the tone it was said to me. That being said barbizon is a school to help you get a career started. Don't get your hopes up of them being nice to you like on the first day because they will not maintain that attitude towards you throughout the process.
Reply to Barbieisaunicorn

Feb 22, 2013  from Redlands, California
Hummm makes no sense, due to the fact they tend to look for natural beauty or along those lines anyhow. Thus proves my point in the fact this company is a scam. No company who choses young women to supposedly help mold/train and guide for a living will call their student's "Those they single handedly picked out" ugly. I'm sorry you had experienced such nasty treatment. but the simple fact is, they recruit girls for a commission base pay. and for every contract that is signed by the rep, that is money in their personal pocket. Its a shame because young girls get their feelings hurt while parents get robbed. Hopefully that was just a chapter in your life and you have moved on. Good luck. :grin

Nov 26, 2012
I am currently a Barbizon student and it most definitely is not a scam. All the people that work there are wonderful and helpful, but first your child needs to make it IN to the school. There was a reason your child didn't make it into the school so don't go and make Barbizon seem like a bad thing when in all reality it's not. Not all people were meant to be an Actor/Model. I'm sorry that your child was mad at you, but that sort of stuff happens in life and you just need to accept it.

Dec 18, 2012
yes barbizon is amazing my last class is in january and we already have an audition alot of people say its a scam but have never been
Reply to me2

Nov 22, 2012
umm I didint know it was that much money I just wont go i dont have the kid of money :eek
Reply to Pissed off

Nov 22, 2012
Reply to Pissed off

Nov 20, 2012
I graduated from the Barbizon Modeling SCHOOL (emphasis on that word!) back in 2005 and although the first couple years were tough pursuing modeling, I am now a full-time successful female model featured in runway shows, magazines, web ads, etc.

They tell you from the start that Barbizon is not an agency it is a SCHOOL to give your child the essentials to go out there and be prepared for the industry. As BARBIZON MIDWEST stated- "For the kids we select for training we offer the skills they need to succeed and the opportunity to do so. I assume you would not send your son up to bat in a baseball game without first teaching him how to hit the ball. Why would you send him in front of a casting director without first teaching him how to slate and cold read, or a fashion designer without teaching him a back walk or even basic poses? " - couldn't have said it better myself....

It's YOU that is the naive "child" who believe that your child and only your child is so special that they will become famous and make millions without you or them putting any effort into. Shame on you. You're teaching your child that they don't need to work to get anywhere in life and so they won't.

Not only have I paid back what my parents put into Barbizon but I've made an UNBELIEVABLE amount of money since :) I've done well over 500+ photoshoots and been in music videos and fashion
... Show more
Reply to Barbizon Graduate AND Successf

Dec 07, 2012  from Suffolk, Virginia
I agree with what you said. I too wet to the meeting that you are invited to and my child was picked. Yes it is alot of money but look at all the nonsense stuff that you buy for your children that don't add up to anything. They even work with you in paying for it. We as parents have to encourage our sons and daughters to go for their dreams and that they have to put in the work for it as well. My daughter has had stars in her eyes long before Barbizon and its up to me to make sure that I don't dowse those stars but also to help her accomplish what she would like to do as much as I can. I still instill in her to get a quality education and to excel in school if she do not walk on the red carpet. Nothing in this world is free... if you or your child want a career in modeling you have to work for it, take classes, be in the right place at the right time. You never know a pipe dream or a scam as you say that this school is can be a gateway for a dream to come true for others.
Reply to very optimistic

Dec 18, 2012
i have 1 more month left and aleady have an audition im super excited can u tell me ur name because u sound really inspiring and do u have any tips
Reply to barbizongirl

Read next Barbizon Modeling School complaint

Chosen for Barbizon modeling

Theres alot of great information when you search the web BUT be sure not to visit JUST the Barbizon...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Barbizon Modeling School.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug